Last Movie You Watched...

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
Nocturnal Animals (2016)

Initially thought it was an interesting revenge story, but then I decided it was hopelessly misogynistic.

MulkyWay

Registered
Reaction score
One Flew Over the Cuckoo Nest.

Having just finished Ratched I was interested to watch this movie I hadn't seen in years as to what I might be able to ascertain from the movie's version of Nurse Ratched to the show's version. I came up with nothing.

Arcana

Registered
Reaction score
Thor. It had potential but the story line was more miss than hit. The biggest dissapointment was the set design and costumes though. It looked more like Star Trek than Norse mythology. I know it's supposed to be based on some comic book version, but I didn't like it at all. Thor was well-cast and to character, but Loki was nothing like in myth. No humor at all or 'trickster' traits at all. I couldn't believe it was directed by Kenneth Branagh.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Wicked late, but finally watched The Prestige. I already knew the big twist at the end but that didn't change how much I enjoyed this. Glad I finally got to watch it.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rocketman. Absolutely delightful! It took a little to get into the swing of, though.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Watched "Gremlins" for the first time. '

Uh...They did not have to make Kate's backstory that dark.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The English Patient. Of all the people I know who have seen it, I'm the only one who really liked it.

I really liked it too when I saw it. But the book is better, in ways that can't translate to the screen.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
King of Staten Island

It's different. I don't usually like this kind of 'slice of someone's life' movie and Pete Davidson's character may not be to everyone's taste.

But I loved it. It has elements that are autobiographical to a degree. This isn't a spoiler because it's throughout the movie. Scott's (Davidson) father died when he was seven. The movie is about how that messed up his life.

The movie starts when he's a young adult. I won't tell you what happens.

But at the end the credits pay tribute to Davidson's real father who was a fireman and did die when Davidson was seven. I looked up his Wiki page. His father was killed on 9/11 when the Twin Towers collapsed. :cry:

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I saw that movie last summer, as a watch-along with a group of reconnecting high-school pals, from Staten Island. I went in having no knowledge or opinions of Pete Davidson. And it hasn't inspired me to become a particular fan of his or seek out his other works. But it was a well-made movie in that slice-of-life genre. And it DEFINITELY captures a lot of the quirks of the place and its people, in a much less cartoony way than it usually figures in popular media. I enjoyed it, and if you're looking for a kind of low-key, quirky character study I would recommend it.

Challenger007

Registered
Reaction score
I decided to recall the Hunger Games movie series. A very decent adaptation, although the novel is much more interesting. But sometimes you want to see something familiar, so as not to strain yourself, delving into the meaning of something new. Sometimes it happens when you don't want anything new.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finally watched Blackfish, the documentary about the mistreatment of killer whales at SeaWorld and other aquarium parks. Holy Cow!

BlackKnight1974

Registered
Reaction score
I watched "Prisoners" again last night (having first watched it a few years ago) and it still stands up as an excellent film, even when you know what is going to happen.

In a world of CGI blockbusters, it is so good to have a thriller that properly understands tension. All of the main parts are fantastically well acted, with Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal both excellent.

If you haven't seen it and are at a loose end, then I'd highly recommend it.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
My younger sisters roped me into watching the original Muppet Movie (the one from the 70's) and OMG, movies were so different. It felt so weird watching Miss Piggy drink wine, and have them go into pubs, and so much more. Too funny. These kinds of things would never happen in a modern Muppet movie.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
The last movie I watched was The Mitchells vs. The Machines, the animated Netflix film. Teen girl Katie is headed off to college across the country to pursue a filmmaking career... and to get away from her father, who doesn't understand her (or her popular YouTube films, or computers, or phones, or anything in her life) and doesn't seem to want to. In a last-ditch effort to mend the rift between them, her dad cancels her plane ticket and drags her, her mother, and her kid brother on a cross-country road trip. Then the robots attack, as the latest update of the popular Pal system triggers a global electronic apocalypse, pitting everything with a microchip against humanity. Katie's family may be all that stands between humanity and certain doom - if they can stop fighting long enough, that is.

By the makers of the incredible Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse, this family comedy almost threw me at the start with a frantic pacing and what looked like cliche characters. But I stuck it out, and it soon clicked into gear, delivering a fun, sometimes hilarious story with a decent and human heart. It was enjoyable and worth the time, and the family dynamics are great and relatable.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
The last movie I watched was The Mitchells vs. The Machines, the animated Netflix film. Teen girl Katie is headed off to college across the country to pursue a filmmaking career... and to get away from her father, who doesn't understand her (or her popular YouTube films, or computers, or phones, or anything in her life) and doesn't seem to want to. In a last-ditch effort to mend the rift between them, her dad cancels her plane ticket and drags her, her mother, and her kid brother on a cross-country road trip. Then the robots attack, as the latest update of the popular Pal system triggers a global electronic apocalypse, pitting everything with a microchip against humanity. Katie's family may be all that stands between humanity and certain doom - if they can stop fighting long enough, that is.

By the makers of the incredible Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse, this family comedy almost threw me at the start with a frantic pacing and what looked like cliche characters. But I stuck it out, and it soon clicked into gear, delivering a fun, sometimes hilarious story with a decent and human heart. It was enjoyable and worth the time, and the family dynamics are great and relatable.
I had a "hate/like" relationship with this movie. Some parts were amazing, but others made me cringe.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
The first film I have seen in a cinema since all the pandemic problems was Nomadlands. I love Frances Mc Dormand and she was lovely in this film. The film was too long and basically, boring.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Just saying, I finally got around to watching Detective Pikachu last night, my dear missus thought it was hilarious and liked it, me too, some funny stuff going on. Gotta say though,
the ending was crap on a stick, stupid and unsatisfying, earning a YOU HAVE GOT TO BE FRIGGIN KIDDING ME wrinkled nose reaction
from the viewers. But, good effort from everyone involved. And the Pokémon were cute af.