Last Movie You Watched...

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
Hotel Transylvania, just because I hadn't seen it. The first ten minutes or so were amazingly cute, then it descended into normal young-kids-cartoon territory. Not bad overall but probably not one to re-watch (Igor and ParaNorman are both better Halloween cartoons, IMO).

Before that, Alien & Aliens back to back (both for the first time, somehow!). I have thoughts, mostly about James Cameron... the capsule version, I thought Alien was the better movie, but I absolutely fell in love with the relationship between Ripley and Newt in the second one. :)

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love Alien and Aliens, edutton! However, I preferred the second movie better. It seemed more complete.

I saw Once Upon a Time in America and...er... I didn't like it. This is the first Tarantino movie I did not like. It felt like a parody of his own style and I thought it was forced, off, and stilted. I'm not quite sure what to make of it and my two fellow compadres attending the movie agreed with me.

CalRazor

Registered
Reaction score
I saw Once Upon a Time in America and...er... I didn't like it. This is the first Tarantino movie I did not like. It felt like a parody of his own style and I thought it was forced, off, and stilted. I'm not quite sure what to make of it and my two fellow compadres attending the movie agreed with me.

Hmm, I liked it. But maybe I got fooled because the atmosphere was so enjoyable.

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
In the Shadow of the Moon (Netflix)

My wife, who's into unsolved murders and serial killers, suggested this. She hated it.

I, who am into SFF, enjoyed it.

Netflix's one line summary for this is: a detective spends most of his life obsessing about a female serial killer. What my wife didn't like (but I loved) was that it was really about a female serial killer from the future. (this is pretty obvious early in the movie, so no spoiler)

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
El Camino.

Pretty good Breaking Bad wrap-up movie, kinda felt like a video game the way Jesse has to find items and fight mini-bosses to get to freedom.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
HP's Deathly Hallows Part 1 and 2 - rewatching for only the second time.

The scene with Doby at the end of Part 1 still gets me.

Oh, Doby! Me too.

I just watched Get Out- a neat, scary variation on the Stepford wives idea, and a film which for once, at last, didn't end up with me going "Hold on- is that the end? What happened? Not a single loose end is tied up!"

It was all covered right to the end.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Finally got around to watching Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

In some ways, it was an improvement on the previous film - a little more of the Lucas "paint in the corners" aesthetic was at play, and there were some great set pieces - yet it couldn't help feeling derivative; you could die of alcohol poisoning playing the "spot the classic SW trilogy callback/knock-off" drinking game. And some of it was totally unnecessary; why were C-3PO and R2 even in the thing, anyway - the former especially? Some of the logic felt stretched, particularly some of the characters' actions and decisions. Kylo Ren will never be as imposing or interesting a villain as Vader, no matter how they try to make him one... and was Snoke just reading a cheat sheet of Palpatine lines? (As for the physics and battles... well, it is Star Wars, perhaps the ultimate space fantasy, and it's all about the spectacle/merchandising of related toys, so you need as many cool gadgets as you can get. You don't ask why the First Order would land complicated and expensive walkers to ponderously approach a base instead of bombarding from orbit... or why a bomber in space, with no gravity, behaves exactly like a bomber on Earth, dropping explosives from bomb-bay doors and everything... though I admit to actually chuckling out loud a few times when even Star Wars physics/logic was stretched past the breaking point. Leia in space, anyone?) It also seemed overlong; at least three times I checked the Netflix time counter, thinking it surely had to be almost over, but nope. The FX would've impressed on the big screen, with some truly spectacular money shots, though a few scenes were too dark to see more than vague shapes. (What is up with that trend, anyway?) Still, it was somewhat entertaining, if still ultimately a shadow compared to the magic of the originals. I expect I'll watch the final film if/when it comes to Netflix.

kranix1

Registered
Reaction score
Hereditary.

Not the best movie I've ever seen, but I love Toni Colette and I think they did a good job dressing up the demonic possession trope. Got Beetlejuice vibes because Toni's character builds miniatures. Has one of the most disturbing death scenes i've ever watched.

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
Absolute Power

Good actors and performances for the most part, and entertaining. I rate it about even with El Camino. Not great; not bad; some good parts.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
The Circle (Prime. Released in 2017, not the Hanks-Watson movie). The usual characters (archaeology professor, bad boy, nerd, smart girl who loves professor, hot babe the professor is banging) take a field trip to a tiny island for extra credit. They tick off the locals. There's a mysterious ferryman.
I was about to turn it off when things actually got interesting. Then they got pretty good, despite plot holes and convenient plot devices.
SPOILERS!

As the final girl is about to get messily killed and eyes burned out by the monster, it's magically daylight and rescue personnel are helping her.

Earlier in the movie, the minivan crashes on the way. In the linear plot they move on. In the actual ending, she's crawled through a space-time warp and everyone died in the crash but her.
Except: as she's sitting in the road with a blanket around her, the dog from the island trots up to her. IOW, it did happen and she did escape because she was the only one who could decipher the Viking warnings carved into the ancient stones.
My initial reaction was noooo! Not 'it was all a dream'!
But the dog.
Cf. The end of Kyofu (The Sylvian Experiments)
This movie is getting eviscerated on IMDB, but it nowhere near as dreadful as many I've seen. I'd give it a 5.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I have the house to myself most of the day, so of course it's Horror Movie Marathon Day!
I'll update this as the marathon progresses.

Dwelling (Prime). Obsessed woman moves into haunted house to contact the other side to find out how her mother died. Characters worthy of the Geico 'people make stupid decisions' Halloween commercial. The preteen wasn't terrible. The husband was extremely likeable and the only character with a brain. Verdict: everyone needed more acting lessons and a better script.

Shadow of the Vampire. Still excellent. Dafoe is terrific.

Ghouls (2008). The best bad movies are the ones which take themselves seriously. This is a hoot. The FX especially require a beverage alert.

And last, the 2018 sequel to Halloween. Not bad.

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Clint Eastwood's The Mule. Great characterisation. Thoroughly enjoyed the glimpse into family relations plus his 'mule' ventures.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
TCM is showing a handful of Godzilla movies every Friday in October. Finally they broadcast Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla in Japanese! I do prefer badass Godzilla, but King Caesar is one of my favorite Kaiju, and he's in the 1970s series, where Godzilla was a friend to humanity.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I've been watching a few of these Halloween movies. Ghostbusters 1984 was the last I watched. Still a great film.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Turner Classic Movies found two freaky Japanese horror movies from 1968: The Living Skeleton and Goke, Body Snatcher from Hell.

If anyone has TCM on demand or the TCM app, both are worth looking up. These two are way, way out there.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Did my yearly rewatch of Hellraiser: Bloodlines. Still as sublimely horrible as ever.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Decided to do something horror-y for Halloween and sprang for the discounted It. As book adaptations go, I've seen worse, and the production values were excellent, but it definitely lost something in the translation, even if there were some nods to what was cut. (I also think separating the timelines into separate movies was a mistake; part of the strength of the book was how King intercut the younger selves and the older selves as parallel action, how the more you learned about their childhoods, the more you understood how they became who they became.) Overall, I'd rate it good but not great, and can't say I have any pressing need to see the second movie.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Decided to do something horror-y for Halloween and sprang for the discounted It. As book adaptations go, I've seen worse, and the production values were excellent, but it definitely lost something in the translation, even if there were some nods to what was cut. (I also think separating the timelines into separate movies was a mistake; part of the strength of the book was how King intercut the younger selves and the older selves as parallel action, how the more you learned about their childhoods, the more you understood how they became who they became.) Overall, I'd rate it good but not great, and can't say I have any pressing need to see the second movie.

Second movie was good but I still feel the first is much better. It's just a book that is so hard to adapt because so much happens with character growth and the whole joy of the book, to me at least, is all the growth and ups and downs and you really need the space to flesh that out to really feel that impact. I really feel the only way to do this book justice is like two seasons of a show of maybe eight to ten, one-hour episodes.