What personality type are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wisdomquest

Curious if writers tend to be a certain personality type.

Have any of you taken any of the free onine quizzes to determine YOUR personality type - like Kiersey or Myers etc etc (tons of them on google)?

I've done several, and its turns out I'm an INFP.

They actually list 'writing - novels & poetry' as a good occupation choice for an INFP ... so, I feel like I might actually be on the right track.

Anyone else?

-wisdomquest :snoopy

macalicious731

I just had to take the Meyers-Briggs for one of my classes, but I haven't been able to access the results yet.

I do, however, tend to use the tests every now and then on my characters.

Jules Hall

Also INTP. Apparently a very common type for writers of both speculative fiction and mysteries, or so I've heard.

reph

INTJ here, but pretty balanced – no extreme preponderances of one alternative over another. The greatest difference favored J over P. But I've determined that there's nothing wrong with that!

Gala

type

Hardcore INFP here. Always have been, always will be.

Analytical, intuitive: strong left brain skills with inherent right-brain artistic tendencies.

Don't like security. Too boring. But not a drama queen--an adventurer.

Highly melancholic. Masculine intellect. Giggling or whining women get on my nerves. If your female character ever bites her knuckles in a scene, I will beg you to delete the line, if not the entire character.

Loner, alone, dependant on solitude, yet enjoy people. Many don't realize I spend most of my time on my own, because I'm a good conversationalist out in the world. (Curious, listener.)

Not from Venus; from The Unknown Planet.

I use personality quad tools in understanding my characters.

maestrowork

Re: type

I think writers are by and large introverts, with some exceptions, of course. The E counterparts of NTP/FP/etc/ are entertainers. We are all artistic types. We entertain on the page; they entertain on stage.

Dhewco

Personality

The only free test I could find only told me I was NF... to get the rest of it introvert/ Extrovert and whatever the last letter cost money I couldn't afford. I googled a lot of personality tests but couldn't find any other free tests that used those letters. One site told me I was an idealist. If you know of any FREE tests where I can find out all four, either post here or email [email protected] thanks.

I believe it was the Kiersey test I took. But the site I saw charged for more detail. My cc is maxed. LOL.

Princesstilly

Re: Personality

ENFJ
According to Monster.ca "(Extravert, Intuitive, Feeler, Judger)
People of this type tend to be friendly, outgoing and enthusiastic; affectionate articulate and tactful; highly empathetic but easily hurt; creative and original; decisive and passionately opinionated, productive, organized and responsible.

The most important thing to ENFJs is their relationships and the opportunity to communicate and connect with others."

Am I the lone extravert in the group? My biggest beef with freelancing full-time is that I miss have a bunch of people around--I really enjoy the energy of the group dynamic--but not enough to go back to the cubicle jungle!

pina la nina

INFJ as well, though a pretty mild I. It is interesting how similar we all are - that NF combo is popular here.

Here's a free one for folks looking:
Myers-Briggs test

ElonnaT

well, I came up as ISFJ. Guess I throw everything off...or maybe I shouldn't be a writer ;)

Actually, the test I took, I was about 50/50 on the S/N part so not really sure how accurate it is. But the conclusion seemed pretty accurate both ways.

Maybe I'm just schizophrenic :grin

maestrowork

Don't worry, Elonna. On a high day (shhh) I'd pass as an ENTP. Alcohol seems to work very well too. But I prefer Prozac.

killerkellerh

Call me a freak show with this group I guess:

ESTJ

My career currently is as a Project Manager/Electrical Engineer for Governement funded Airport Runway construction projects. My personality fits my career, but doesn't seem to be affecting my "system" of writing so far.

:thumbs

Keller

Yeshanu

Dhewco,

Two questions.

In order to recharge your mental and emotional batteries, do you need to be alone, or with people?

What does your desk/office/bedroom look like?

Tell me, and I'll give you Ruth's super-quick assessment for the missing two letters.

Accuracy somewhat less than 100%, but more than 50%, I'm sure. :grin

maestrowork

Ruth, you already know my type, but just to test yoru accuracy:

1. I need both. There are times I need to be alone to recharge. But there are times I absolutely must have people around me, talking to me, etc. to lift me up. Especially when I'm down, I need to reach out and touch someone. I also can't work for a long time writing on my own without people around...

2. My desk/room/house is a mess. I call it chaotically organized. :)

Yeshanu

1. Definitely a borderline personality, here. Very like me, in fact. I test out about 60/40 on every MB test I've done (three or four so far...) But I'm an "I" because when I need to
recharge or process something truly awful, I need solitude. Most of the strong "E" types I know need companionship in those times.

A friend who has two daughters put it this way, "L. won't tell me if she's sick. B needs me to hold her while she bends over the toilet if she's sick." A sick example, true, but one that might help you determine if you are introvert or extrovert.

Another difference I've noticed between introverts and extroverts is how they think. When I think (about difficult problems), I need to think alone, or at least in a quiet environment. The extroverts I know need to talk it out. So that's another question I could ask: When you need to work out a difficult problem, do you talk it out, or do you need silence? (If you need silence after the talking, you're probably at least a bit introverted.)

2. A P. A very strong P, would be my guess...

I used to tell my mother that it didn't matter that everything in my room was on the floor, because I knew exactly where on the floor I put it. (Chaotically organized, Ray?) All that showed was that I had a good memory. :grin

Another telling question: When you go on a trip, do you panic if it's not organized to the last detail, or if it is organized to the last detail, do you feel restricted somehow? A classic "P" will have this conversation with a "J" ex-spouse:

J: When are you taking holidays?
P: Dunno. When are you going?
J: I'm leaving on Saturday, August 7. I'm hoping to be out of here by 9 a.m. sharp. We'll camp the Saturday night at This Provincial Park, the Sunday night at That Provincial Park, and by noon on the Monday, we'll be at XXX Resort. We'll be home on Friday, August 13 about noon. We're going to see Attraction A on Tuesday, Attraction B on Thursday, and go on a boat tour the following Monday. I'll check the long term forecasts before we go. I might have to change the attractions around if it's supposed to rain.
P: Okay, well if you're going to take those weeks, I'll take the last week in August to go up to Algonquin. Might stay at Mom and Dad's for a night or two. Oh, and maybe go up again on the Labour Day weekend. Depends on the weather. And finances. I wonder what my bank account balance is like, anyway.
J: I have $756.32 right now. I should have $1524.02 in there when I leave, unless someone doesn't cash a cheque right away. I hate it when that happens.

If you can identify strongly with either "P" or "J" in this little (somewhat true) example, you know what you are... :b

maestrowork

1. I think I'm by nature an "I" for sure because when I need to think things through, I need to do it on my own. However, I also LOVE brainstorming -- that's why I can toss out ideas and let others tell me theirs and we work the problems together... I did a lot of project management doing that. I was a good team player and leader because I engaged people in these collaboration. But yes, I do need solitude time to thinks things through myself.

2. Very strong P. :) I remember telling my then-GF NEVER to clean up my room because I'd never find anything. The taking the trip test is great. Yup, I'm the type who picks up and go. Sure, I probably would book the flight and cruise, etc. because I probably have to. But if I can get away without doing all that, I would. I also use this trip-taking analogy for "outlining" (read those threads). If I miss a flight, I won't dread it, I'll just get on a different flight on standby and eventually I'll get there.

The only time when I get upset is when I'm tired and cranky and I just don't want to spend another hour at the airport.

I guess I am a very strong NP type. I'm borderline I/E and T/F. As a computer scientist/business person I'm very analytical and thus a T type. As a writer and a romantic, however, I can be very F. I'm a business analyst as well as an artist. I use both sides of my brain equally well.

Dhewco

missing two letters

Yesh, I need to be alone to recharge. Lately it seems I am recharging alot. My bedroom, office is messy and oft cluttered.

Status
Not open for further replies.