Has the RWA gone insane?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepperlandgirl

American Aquarium Drinker
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a member. I've never wanted to be a member. And now I can see I probably never will be a member.

Seriously, my eye is twitching here. I'm annoyed that publishers like Juno won't qualify (at least right now) for RWA approved status, but conflating vanity publishers with e-publishers? Isn't it hard enough to do this fucking job without RWA undermining our efforts?

I could live with the advances thing, but the vanity definition is a very low blow.

pepperlandgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry. I wasn't thinking clearly when I did my OP...

Commencing with RWA's 2008 National Conference, for official publisher participation, a romance publisher must verify to RWA that it: (1) is not a Subsidy Publisher or Vanity Publisher; (2) has been releasing romance novels via national distribution for no fewer than three years, with no fewer than two full-length romance novels or novel-length romance anthologies published in each of three
consecutive years; (3) provides per book advances of at least $1,000 for all books; and (4) pays all authors participating in an anthology an advance of at least $500."

"3. The Board updated the definition of Subsidy Publisher or Vanity Publisher to: any publisher that publishes books in which the author participates in the cost of production or distribution in any manner, including publisher assessment of a fee or other costs for editing and/or distribution. This definition includes publishers who withhold or seek full or partial payment of reimbursement of publication or distribution costs before paying royalties, including payment of paper, printing, binding, production, sales or marketing costs; publishers whose authors exclusively promote and/or sell their own books; publishers whose primary means of offering books for sale is through a publisher-generated Web site; publishers whose list is comprised of 50% or more of its books written by authors who are principals in the publishing company; and publishers whose business model and methods of publishing are primarily directed toward sales to the author, his/her relatives and associates."

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I agree with these changes. Too many of the smaller RWA-recognized publishers have gone belly-up and have screwed over their authors, and have also helped dilute the amount of royalties traditional publishers pay. These is an attempt by RWA to return romance writing to a more professional/better paying world, and I applaud them for it.

Jill

pepperlandgirl

Registered
Reaction score
"Many" of the smaller presses with RWA recognition have gone belly-up? Do you have a cite for that? I know of one, and that was unfortunate, but I'd like to know if there are more out there that met initial RWA requirements only to fold subsequently.

And if the RWA was really interested in protecting authors, they would not blur the lines between vanity publishers and epublishers. There is a very clear and very big difference between vanity pubs and epubs. Vanity publishers require you to pay to publish. Legitimate Epublishers do not. It is hard enough to get new authors to understand this concept without the RWA throwing this shit out there. I have approximately twenty books with four different epublishers, and I have never paid a single dime to see a book published, and I receive royalty checks every six weeks or so. I think the implication that Samhain, Liquid Silver Books, and Amber Quill Press (to name the publishers I've personally worked with and can cite personal experience) is on par with Publish America or Sterling House is insulting at best and irresponsible at worse. And any writer's organization who truly cared about authors and professionalism wouldn't start down that road. Period.

December, I saw this on a few different author lists initially, but I took this particular text from Emily's blog because I had it open at the time..

lrs

Registered
Reaction score
It might help future authors, but it sucks for current authors. To be RWA approved and then suddenly have that taken away, that doesn't seem fair to me.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I found it on the website. I am totally disgusted, and I believed tha standard should be much higher--but equating epubs automatically with vanity publishing is irresponsible and does a disservice to writers.

EC changed the face of modern romance. Now they're just a vanity press?

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
Okay mind you, I'm not a member of the RWA nor have I been e-book published, so I'm just tossing this out there.

Do you think it's a roundabout encouragement to some of the bigger epubs (like Samhain and EC) to put more stuff in traditional bookstores and give advances? Like, if they start doing that, then they can get RWA status and thus more of the 'bigger name' authors?

Just throwing it out there (please don't hurt me).

pepperlandgirl

Registered
Reaction score
I can't speak for EC, but Samhain offers an advance, and they have books available in Borders and Walden. Near as I can tell, Samhain has plans in place to be in all the bookstores soonish. Further, Samhain has recently partnered with Kensington to form a Samhain imprint with Kensington--I guess somebody better let them know they've partnered with a vanity press, huh?

Amber Quill has their own reasons for not being interested in book stores. Trace has explained it many times, and I can understand where he is coming from. But all of their novel-length books are available in print. And my sales with AQP is comparable to my sales with Samhain (where my book is in bookstores).

Liquid Silver Books has recently struck a deal with a distributer and is slowly but surely printing more of their books. I don't know their long-term plan, but given their recent change, I wouldn't be surprised if they were already aiming for book stores.

In other words, RWA doesn't need to encourage epublishers to expand. The market is doing that just fine, as it should be.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure all e-publishers will be affected by the "primary sales through self-generated web page" clause, just those that don't have distribution elsewhere. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't many legitimate e-pubbed books available at places like Fictionwise? And EC is in bookstores, so I doubt they'd be included in this definition.

The clause seems to me more likely to be aimed at anyone who slaps a web site up and claims to be a publisher. But we'll see how it plays out...

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
This is all over the Samhain lists.

I do see, however, that the new rules now exclude PA on a permanent basis, with the 'primary sales being to the author', and all the little fly-by-night organizations where the publisher has written half the books. In that respect, it's a good thing.

I'm just sorry to have everyone else lumped in with them. Most of the reputable pubs will fall short on the advance requirement.

Samhain won't be three years old until 2008, so even with the distribution, if they don't yet make it under these new rules, and I don't suspect they'll be granfathered in, although I'm sure I'll hear all about it once Nationals are over.

I'm so glad I don't deal with this nonsense. I'm a member of EPIC, a much more sensible organization.

pepperlandgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Epublishers do distribute through other areas, but what does RWA mean by "primary means"? I know that all my books are sold solely through the publisher's webpage for the first 6-12 weeks (depending on the publisher). My current book Master of Obsidian was released on April 29, for example, and it's still not on fictionwise. And once they hit places like Fictionwise and all the other many, many book storefronts on the web, I can tell from my royalty reports that some of my books never do well on fictionwise, but chug right along at the publisher's website.

So, how close is the RWA going to look at that? Are they going to check sales' figures? "Primary means" is awfully vague, in my humble opinion, and the vagueness of that language can be used against publishers easily. Quite frankly, I wouldn't put it past the RWA to do just that.

but like Christine says, it's a triple whammy. Maybe each thing sounds good on its own, but the combined affect is essentially telling legit presses and authors to get bent.

Last edited:

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
IMHO, it doesn't matter, because as soon as an epub reaches those standards, RWA will find another way to exclude them. Bitter? Maybe, but it seems to me that the sole purpose of published status is simply to keep out what they consider riffraff. When it looks like the riffraff has the chance of reaching the standards, they change them again.

I'm a member, but only because my local chapter requires it and the RWR offers up some good advice. I hear the PRO section is actually a lot more beneficial, but I haven't bothered to join it.

So, does this mean that EC and Samhain are no longer RWA recognized? Or did I miss it in one of the earlier posts?

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
I'm a new, unpublished member of RWA--just joined a few months ago, actually--although I haven't really gotten THAT much out of it yet other than the great advice in the RWR. That said, I completely agree that the standards needed to be raised to a more professional standard, but I do NOT in any way, shape, or form condone lumping reputable e-publishers in the same field as vanity or subsidy publishers. I think that's just ridiculous. Hopefully this will be sorted out such that the reputable e-publishers that meet the same standards as strictly print publishers won't be painted with the same stripe as outright vanity presses (*coughPAcough*).

lrs

Registered
Reaction score
I just feel so bad for all of the authors who have basically been "kicked out of the club." I know if it had happened to me i'd be bitter and very upset. It seems like they could have made some kind of rules that could have kept the legit epubs and others in. I mean how can you let someone in and then change your mind and say, "by the way we no longer accept you." That just seems so wrong. Plus it makes you wonder who they will do it to next. If anything though, because epubs are becoming so popular i'm sure in the future they'll have to include them again.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
What exactly does primary mean though. Because even those epublisher that use distribution generally sell mostly from their own page.

And personally I hope this does not encourage a rush to big print runs--that was Trisk's mistake.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
So, does this mean that EC and Samhain are no longer RWA recognized? Or did I miss it in one of the earlier posts?

Dunno, we're waiting to hear from Crissy and Angela at Nationals. They do have print distribution, but don't give the advances and don't make the time cut until next year.

I'm sure EC would make it, except I don't know what kind of advances they give.

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
Actually, I approve of this.

I think it's useful to the RWA members to have a list of the publishers who pay reasonable money for the manuscripts they buy.
To do this, you have to set standards, and some publishers are going to fail to meet them..

RWA is a writers' organization, serving professional writers.

RWA isn't in the business of supporting particular publishers.
Not Juno, not Liquid Silver, not EC, not Simon and Schuster.

I don't know what happens to PAN members if their publisher gets 'defrocked'. Jeesh.

Last edited:

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score
Current PAN members retain their membership status.

". . . all current PAN members should retain their PAN status subject to the rules that were in effect when they applied to PAN."

lrs

Registered
Reaction score
well thats good, that they retain their status. I completely understand and approve of them wanting to limit it to publishers who pay good money, but at the same time i know if i had been epublished and this happened to me, i'd be very upset.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I have no problem with standards - but I think it stinks that they are pretty much lumping e pubs in with vanity. Legitimate epubs were okay until they began attaining the original standards. Now they're on par with PA and Lulu? That doesn't seem right to me.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I'm professional too, but not by there standards. So it's fair in a 'some animals are more equal than others' way. Yesterday I would have been a pro with a recognised publisher, now I am 'vanity' published despite having made thousands and spent nothing.

"You there, anything with feathers is actually a vegetable now".

pepperlandgirl

Registered
Reaction score
job don't you think they're doing a disservice to new authors by blurring the lines between legitimate publishers and vanity publishers? You can't think of a single reason why the conflation of legit, royalty-paying publishers and vanity publishers might be a bad idea?

Furthermore, your post is implying that epublished authors aren't professional authors, which is exactly the problem I have with RWA's new benchmark. Nobody is saying that RWA shouldn't have standards. I am saying that RWA's standards should reflect the realities of the current romance market, and not simply the desire to keep out the "riff-raff."

Status
Not open for further replies.