Is there such a thing as Jewish Inspirational novels?

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
I remember reading Myer Levin's Gore and Igor when I was a teenager back in the late 1960s. It's a black comedy but I found it inspiring in an odd sort of way. It's about two beat (or hippie) Jewish poets, one from the USA and once from the USSR who cross paths during Israel's Six-Day War. Kind or a forgotten masterpiece.

I'd recommend almost anything by Levin.

latourdumoine

Where nightmares continously breed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helsinkilives.wordpress.com
As someone who has converted to Judaism based on a spiritual journey of my own, I have always wondered why "inspirational" is confined to Christianity. I would love to write a story about an MC who finds Judaism--for his/her *own* reasons, not for a spouse--and converts, or someone who was born Jewish but reconnects with it over the course of his/her unique trials. I don't think this would be the main theme of my story, but I would def. like it to be a big part. But I just don't know if anyone would be interested in that sort of story, since Jews are only 2% of America's population. :\

As someone whose mother's side of the family converted to Christianity long ago and whose dad was Jewish, I don't care what religion the MC or any character is, as long as I can identify with them on some level. In other words, I would absolutely write that book because while yes, it would focus on Jewish themes, the themes of searching for oneself are universal enough for more than 2% of the population to read it.

And I'm with you on the inspirational issue. I can understand why, based on what people said here but still, it bugs me.

And to the person who mentioned Davita's Harp, I couldn't agree more there either.

Wojciehowicz

Alien to My Own Planet
Registered
Reaction score
Website
outpostearth.onedamnballoon.com
So no one mentioned ArtScroll.com? That link will take you directly to their Inspirational section by the way.

More ephemerally, your story is of a universal human stereotypical struggle between condition and inner being, between circumstance, and what people wish otherwise. It's been done before, and you will do it again, because humans like that sort of thing. They understand it without needing to be taught. They can see themselves in it. Good choice.

Take generalizations about Jews of today with a grain of salt. Read their blogs. Don't shy away from Modern Orthodox and Haredi Judaism. Don't listen to just Reform Judaism or Conservative Judaism or Reconstructionist Judaism. There is a lot more to Judaism in a religious and spiritual sense than most non-Jews ever hear of.

nibris

Registered
Reaction score
Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl. Technically, not a novel, but definitely one of the most inspirational books I've ever read in my life

poeticjustice_2001

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for, but maybe Man's Search for Meaning.

oh my roommate in seminary read that and read parts aloud to me- it was so poignant and beautifully written!

There are tons of Jewish inspirational books out there! There probably just isn't as much obvious press because of a small target audience :)

I was going to mention looking on ArtScroll publications as well, but I Wojciehowicz already did. Also, http://www.jewishbktown.com has an inspirational section.
And I remember my rabbi reading parts from "Little miracles from the Holocaust".

Good luck!

Last edited:

CatherineGreen

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone's still following this thread. But there are Jewish inspirational novels but they are almost exclusively for the ultra-orthodox market. Overcoming spiritual obstacals, returning to the faith, discovering faith etc are the main themes. There's no need for an agent MS can be sent directly to publishers. Try Feldheim, Israel bookshop, Targum Press, Artscroll. Be warned though, they have very specific standards in terms of content.