• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Totally Entwined Group / Totally Bound (formerly Total-e-bound)

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
If their site says they are accepting submissions then it means you can submit. Was there some other type of info you were interested in? Have you contacted any of their authors? I'd do that. I contacted one of their authors years ago and she seemed happy with them. I guess she still is because I think she is still with them. Also, check out their books on Amazon and see how they are selling and read reviews to see if anyone has issues with editing, etc. But the best thing to do is to email some of their authors and hear it from them though you can get a different opinion depending on who you speak with. Still, it will give you an idea of how things work. This is "supposedly" a decent publisher but there have been so many who started off decent and ended up a wreck or were doing shady things behind the scenes. You never can be sure these days how a publisher is.

Last edited:

StoryofWoe

Sick and pale with grief.
Registered
Reaction score
If their site says they are accepting submissions then it means you can submit. Was there some other type of info you were interested in?

Some of the (relatively) recent posts in this thread give the impression that things might not be going so well behind the scenes. Being open to submissions is a good sign, but not if the ship is already sinking. Ellora's Cave remained open to submissions long after they stopped paying authors. I suppose I could contact some of TEG's authors, but I'm admittedly shy about sending unsolicited emails, hence the above post. I don't like to bug people. :p

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score
Some of the (relatively) recent posts in this thread give the impression that things might not be going so well behind the scenes. Being open to submissions is a good sign, but not if the ship is already sinking. Ellora's Cave remained open to submissions long after they stopped paying authors. I suppose I could contact some of TEG's authors, but I'm admittedly shy about sending unsolicited emails, hence the above post. I don't like to bug people. :p

I definitely understand about being shy contacting authors but most authors supportive and don't mind sharing information to help others especially if things aren't going right. It is hard to find out what is exactly happening behind the scenes of these places because they keep things in the loop. I hadn't heard much about these guys in a while but it doesn't surprise me at all if they've jumped the shark as well.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The other things about contacting authors is it can be hard to tell who is just an author and who is a pen name for staff or owners. For that reason I often chose more recently acquired (but published with them a year or more) authors to contact and specifically ask of they also work for the press in other capacities.

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score
The other things about contacting authors is it can be hard to tell who is just an author and who is a pen name for staff or owners. For that reason I often chose more recently acquired (but published with them a year or more) authors to contact and specifically ask of they also work for the press in other capacities.

Glad you popped on, Emily. Are you still updating your site? I used to check into it to hear about publishers closing. It's a great resource.

Yes, you are right about you never know who the author is. It was easier for me to contact people because I knew many authors and they had published with a lot of the pubs I had my eyes on. So I could ask them and trust their opinions. So, yes it can be difficult for a newbie or someone without contacts. I hadn't thought about that. When I always contacted authors I seemed to know at least one or more at a particular publisher because I'd been around so long so I knew they'd be straight with me. I was saved from signing with some bad publishers (who were touted as some of the best) by author pals who were good enough people to tell the truth. In other words, just because a company seems like they are all that from the outside, that doesn't mean squat.

Do your best to research any way you can.

Last edited:

RosalieStanton

Heathen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rosaliestanton.com
I am an author with TEG, and I have requested (& received) the rights back to everything I can at this time.

My decision to leave had nothing to do with my experience and everything about my desire to go 100% indie. TEG was, hands down, the best publisher I had the privilege to work with as an author. The editing staff was phenomenal, the author liaison staff friendly and helpful, and the process of getting the books back was much easier than any other publisher with whom I’ve parted ways, save for LSB.

At this time, I still have two novellas with them; one I’ve requested the rights back to and will receive this year. The second, I won’t be able to ask for until 2021 (I think). So I’m still technically one of their authors, and I haven’t seen anything that worries me as an author who will still have intellectual property with them for the foreseeable future.

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score
I am an author with TEG, and I have requested (& received) the rights back to everything I can at this time.

My decision to leave had nothing to do with my experience and everything about my desire to go 100% indie. TEG was, hands down, the best publisher I had the privilege to work with as an author. The editing staff was phenomenal, the author liaison staff friendly and helpful, and the process of getting the books back was much easier than any other publisher with whom I’ve parted ways, save for LSB.

At this time, I still have two novellas with them; one I’ve requested the rights back to and will receive this year. The second, I won’t be able to ask for until 2021 (I think). So I’m still technically one of their authors, and I haven’t seen anything that worries me as an author who will still have intellectual property with them for the foreseeable future.

Congrats on going full indie! :partyguy: It's so much fun!!!

introvertedwife

Herder of Incubi
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ellenmint.blog
I submitted a novel to T-B recently. It was rejected for being too long (I am notoriously garrulous), but the editor wants to work with me on other book ideas. I was just wondering how it's been going for others. I'm really wondering what their marketing is like after getting seriously burned recently.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Just popping in because yesterday I read in the Bookseller that Bonnier Zaffre, who acquired TEG a few years ago (at which time a bunch of very good people got fired) just off-loaded TEG, selling it back to the same people they bought it from for an "undisclosed" amount. Interesting. I wrote a few novellas for their Totally Entwined imprint, back in the day so I'm vaguely interested in seeing what happens next.

introvertedwife

Herder of Incubi
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ellenmint.blog
An email from the CEO makes it sound like they plan to cut back on the number of books published to enchance promotion opportunities.

Twinings

Registered
Reaction score
I've looked at the Totally Entwined Group submissions page a few times over the last month as I've been weighing up whether or not to submit to Pride Publishing. When I visited a day or so ago, I saw a new banner at the bottom of the submissions page, advertising the upcoming indie author service Fictionwide: "the all-in-one solution for indie authors". Clicking the Fictionwide banner took me to a marketing page where they offer publishing services, audiobooks, translations, distribution and author training. They mention they will have three different plans in place.

I visited again today, wanting to gather the information to mention it here in case it's of help to anyone, only to find the Fictionwide banner has disappeared again. I found it by visiting Google's cached versions of the submissions page.

I presume (though may be wrong) that this is something they'll be launching and that the posting on the web page was a little premature. I share it now in case it affects anyone's decision when considering this publisher.

Orville

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, thanks - I had no idea (obviously, I suppose!). My visits to that page evidently coincided with it having been withdrawn from the website for the relaunch.

It’s helpful to know that as it further informs my decisions re submission. Thanks again.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Orville, we're delighted this thread is proving helpful in decision-making.

I urge you to hop over to the New Members thread to introduce yourself, then explore whatever interests you. (If you don't feel like hopping just now, a casual stroll will do.)

Maryn, pleased to meet you

introvertedwife

Herder of Incubi
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ellenmint.blog
Oh, thanks - I had no idea (obviously, I suppose!). My visits to that page evidently coincided with it having been withdrawn from the website for the relaunch.

It’s helpful to know that as it further informs my decisions re submission. Thanks again.
No problem. They're messing around with the author portal system and website so everything's in flux. They're also changing up how they do promoting and focusing a lot more on videos.

K. Rogers

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't see any mention in the index or find a topic on TEB with the search feature, so here's a new thread Mods--if I've totally missed an existing thread delete away and try not to yell at me for being an idiot ;)

I recently offered an out of print historical to the brand new UK e-publisher Total-e-Bound to use in their "free read" section and was pleasantly surprised when owner Claire Siemaszkiewicz asked if I'd consider upping the heat level between the H/H because she'd like to reprint it. Claire gave some great suggestions for the rewrite. The suggested edits arrived just last week and this morning I received my author's copy of the revised book.

It's inevitable that things will slow a bit as their submissions increase but at this early stage I'm impressed not only with the speed but with the company in general. Claire and her partners have solid background which they have listed on the website--take note new publishers-- ALWAYS list this stuff. It's the first thing many authors look for when considering a new company. for.

They've got a very nice forum for readers set up with a private section for authors/artists. I really like the e-signature contract service they use as it makes things so much quicker and easier than snail mail which would be a nightmare considering their headquartered in the UK. The coverart is top notch and for your artists my friend Anne Cain is very pleased with in her dealings with TEB.

I hope Claire and company keep up the good work.

I contracted a few books with them. When the contract ended, I had my rights reverted. This was well over a year ago. Imagine my surprise when I discovered all my books are still available for sale on several major and international platforms. I contacted the company, was given some silly little note that they took everything down and it must be some secondary platform. Well, Apple, Barnes and Noble, and Google aren't exactly small platforms. One of my books was up on KU all last year and I can't believe they didn't nail me.

After two weeks of nothing happening, I finally sent emails to get instructions on how to do a DMCA at B&N. I filed take down notices at Apple. Still, nothing has come down. I even ordered a paperback via B&N's PoD service and it just came.

And I've just discovered I'm not the only author experiencing this. Another author has been battling to get her books taken down literally for years. Another just discovered their reverted books are still available for sale.

Another complaint is that my agent retired and both she and I notified them that payment should go directly to me. I don't know where my payments ended up going, but I received no royalties for well over a year. Since it wasn't a lot of money I decided it wasn't worth pursuing legally.

So IMO, they are absolutely a "Beware" publisher.

If you happen to be leaving them, be sure to monitor the status of your books. This is absolutely ridiculous and grossly unprofessional.
Hm. Is this really the only thread about Total E-Bound?

Are any AWers pubbed with them?

Comments??

K. Rogers

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry I botched my response above, this is my first time posting here on AW. Anyhow, I signed with TEG about the time they reacquired it from Bonnaire and the process was okay, but the aftermath of getting my rights reverted has been a year-long nightmare with no sign of it ending. I self-published one of my titles, and had to yank it off KU because even after a year, TEG has failed to take the books from major platforms, and I seen no resolution in sight. They effectively told me it's not their problem. So I"m trying to do DMCA take downs, but the process varies from platform to platform. Barnes and Noble aren't responsive, Apple has a multi-step process and I haven't tried Google yet. I've recently come to realize I'm not the only author they're doing this to. It's horribly unprofessional and a night mare to get my books back up for sale. So BEWARE. If you're already with them, put some money away for a lawyer who can deal with a UK business.

Kat

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kat, I'm so sorry to hear they're being so unprofessional! If you own the rights, of course it's their job to remove the book from all points of sale through them. Duh! We appreciate your candor.

Also, welcome! Please take a few minutes to bop on over to the Newbies thread to introduce yourself, give the FAQs and Newbie Guide a read if you haven't yet, and check out the Erotica board, where your kindred spirits hang out.

Maryn, glad you shared