• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

AuthorHouse / WordClay / Words of Belief / Author Solutions, Inc.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
We will never hear the end of it now

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/...il&utm_term=0_0bb2959cbb-e6f31bd0cd-304640565

Basically, S&S just signed an author previously 'self published' by Archway. I haven't seen the book in question, but I am wondering if the author ever bothered to look for a commercial publisher, and how much she paid Archway (if she did) in the beginning.

Either way, you can be sure all the Author Solutions marketing staff will be using this as part of their pitches.

ETA: curiouser and curioser. Castleman has apparently been in publishing and marketing for a long time, so it's possible she knew enough to avoid paying Archway for publication. But a book strong enough for the commercial market shouldn't have needed Archway in the first place. Her connection to a children's literature institute makes me even more curious, but I'll have to go research that group to see if it's the one I'm remembering.

Last edited:

Rachel77

Registered
Reaction score
http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/...il&utm_term=0_0bb2959cbb-e6f31bd0cd-304640565

Basically, S&S just signed an author previously 'self published' by Archway. I haven't seen the book in question, but I am wondering if the author ever bothered to look for a commercial publisher, and how much she paid Archway (if she did) in the beginning.

Either way, you can be sure all the Author Solutions marketing staff will be using this as part of their pitches.

ETA: curiouser and curioser. Castleman has apparently been in publishing and marketing for a long time, so it's possible she knew enough to avoid paying Archway for publication. But a book strong enough for the commercial market shouldn't have needed Archway in the first place. Her connection to a children's literature institute makes me even more curious, but I'll have to go research that group to see if it's the one I'm remembering.

It's also the first Archway title that S&S has picked up. ASI trumpeting it in their marketing pitches was my first thought too on reading it ("Publish with us and you too might be picked up by Simon & Schuster!"), but one title, out of how many that Archway has published? If you want to be published by S&S, you're still much, much better off going through an agent.

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
I just discovered that AuthorHouse has put a pdf version of one of my discontinued novels up for sale through Ingram. Ingram has since taken it off their list, as AH confirmed that the contract was nullified by me in 2008. Talk about slimy...and dumb, because that poor novel was a tedious 600 pages.

Artistj25

Registered
Reaction score
Wordclay Publishing

Hi,

Any one familiar with Wordclay Publishing?
got a call from them..

you can check the website www.wordclay.com

Any comments will help...

still writing my my romance novel..just started actually...

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Penguin Buys Author Solutions?

This just popped across my news feed:

http://www.digitalbookworld.com/201...ng-platform-author-solutions-for-116-million/

This is weird, Author Solutions and it's various subsidiaries make money off authors, not off author's works. They recently started giving authors 100% of royalties, so they could better sell marketing and distribution services, where their real income source is. New business model for Penguin?

Jeff

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Crap. I never seem to read the dates on these things and just got hit with a three year old news item. :(

I've never paid attention to Author Solutions before so I never noticed it. Sorry.

Jeff

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
My take...TL;dr

Author Solutions bought by another bottom-feeder. Will probably commence eating itself further out of relevance except for authors who 1) are not internet savvy enough to research and/or 2) are ESL authors from developing nations where the vanity publishers are frantically trying to expand.

I can guarantee they'll try to use the Najafi family-publishes-with-us connection as a marketing tool.

RWrites

Registered
Reaction score
AuthorSolutions(Publisher)

I was on Reddit's writing community when an ad for AuthorSolutions popped up on the side. It seems like they are a self-publisher but they also have partnerships with publishing houses?

http://www.authorsolutions.com

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Author Solutions is the company that owns AuthorHouse, iUniverse, Trafford Publishing, Xlibris, Palibrio, and Booktango.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Until this thread gets merged, the link to the ongoing discussion is: link

General consensus is: You spend way more money with them than you need to.

Last edited:

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
but they also have partnerships with publishing houses?

Those ads you see on the AuthorSolutions site, that show as partnerships, are with other self publishing companies and with the self pub imprints of some name publishers. NOT with trade divisions of publishing houses. All of it is author services for "self" publishing.

droe261117

Registered
Reaction score
Authorhouse Publishing, any good?

Hi all,
First of all apologies if this has already been discussed, has anyone used the above company? And were they any good?

Regards
Damian