• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Permuted Press

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I've recently seen several Permuted Press contracts, and there are issues of concern, in my opinion, including:

- A life-of-copyright grant term without adequate provision for reversion (the work is "in print" as long as it's "available from the publisher or licensee in any edition"). Reversion in a life-of-copyright contract should always be tied to specific sales minimums.

- An overly sweeping Option clause that gives the publisher first refusal right on any sequels, prequels, successor works, or even, possibly, works in the same genre ("any full-length work of fiction based substantially on subject matter, material, characters or incidents in the Work").

- Royalty rates potentially substantially reduced by "special discount sales"--defined as anything sold at a discount of more than 40% (most online retailers demand a much bigger discount), in which case royalties drop to just 5% of net.

- Substandard ebook royalties (20% of net) and subrights splits (30% of net).

- An excessively long publication window (four years).

- Victoria

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Four YEARS? Good gravy!

That does seem excessive... I don't think I've seen anything longer than a year.

I'd hazard a guess they're putting that in because they're snapping up titles left and right but... well, it's a VERY long time to be waiting if you're at the end of the line.

Four years?

I'll pass on that point alone, never mind the other ones brought up by Vic.

PeggySueM

Registered
Reaction score
thank you, Victoria. I haven't received the contract yet, but I'll be sure to also make note of all your concerns as I read it through as well. I'm already feeling twitchy about signing a contract, but I wanted to take my series to the next level (possibly bookstores, foreign rights, better promotional avenues, etc.) and was hoping Permuted would be able to help make that happen. I haven't made tons of money from self publishing the first book, but it has done quite well the past 6 months, selling over 5,000 copies. It is *so* hard to make sure you're doing the right thing. Publishing is tricky.

PeggySueM

Registered
Reaction score
If you sold 5000 copies in six months, that's great for self-publishing and pretty good for a small press. Hold to your guns on finding the right publisher.
I published the book in a serial format (4 parts) and then the combined omnibus edition this past January. So, those are sales of the combined parts & the omnibus. (not any freebies) :D The omnibus is still doing pretty well, but I'm not good with knowing how to get sales pumped back up after they start slacking off. I planned to publish the next book in the same format since I've seen success doing it that way. From what I've seen, Permuted is the leading publisher in post apoc & zombie horror novels, so I was hoping between my own hard work, my own platform building & their awesome following/reach I could expand my fan base/reach.

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
I've recently seen several Permuted Press contracts, and there are issues of concern, in my opinion, including:

- A life-of-copyright grant term without adequate provision for reversion (the work is "in print" as long as it's "available from the publisher or licensee in any edition"). Reversion in a life-of-copyright contract should always be tied to specific sales minimums.

- An overly sweeping Option clause that gives the publisher first refusal right on any sequels, prequels, successor works, or even, possibly, works in the same genre ("any full-length work of fiction based substantially on subject matter, material, characters or incidents in the Work").

- Royalty rates potentially substantially reduced by "special discount sales"--defined as anything sold at a discount of more than 40% (most online retailers demand a much bigger discount), in which case royalties drop to just 5% of net.

- Victoria

That's why I wanted an agent - I'm terrible with contracts :)

Last edited:

Wormwood

Hoping to grow up one day
Registered
Reaction score
My concern was that they might be spreading themselves thin in the promotion department with so many new titles locked up. I will go with my agents recommendation.

Micah

haunted

Now is the winter of my discontent.
Registered
Reaction score
They are open to some negotiation. We negotiated, and I am satisfied. Publication schedule for me is running next summer, so that is fairly typical. All their authors love them, and that also speaks strongly enough for me.

ClarissaJohal

Don't talk to me while I'm writing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.clarissajohal.com
They are open to some negotiation. We negotiated, and I am satisfied. Publication schedule for me is running next summer, so that is fairly typical. All their authors love them, and that also speaks strongly enough for me.

Congrats! I'm about 2 steps behind you, lol. Just sent them the info form so they can send a contract.

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
http://www.examiner.com/article/an-invasive-interview-with-permuted-press-president-michael-wilson

I find this interview explains a lot about what's going on at Permuted Press.

I have a nine book contract with them and am very-very satisfied.

I'll be releasing my next four books with Permuted, and so far I like everything about them. Mike is super easy to work with, and I like the way they're heading as far as branching out into other genres and the new Permuted Platinum program.

Last edited:

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com

- Victoria

I subbed to Permuted last week. If, on the billion to one chance, they like my book and a contract comes up, the point in bold would be my first concern especially the genre issue. Still, these things can always be talked about.

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
Just an fyi, Seun -- I know someone who is with Permuted and was able to negotiate several of the things in the contract. If you don't have an agent, just be sure you know what language you DO want to use, if you want to change it. You may also try to just strike things out. Best wishes!

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Just an fyi, Seun -- I know someone who is with Permuted and was able to negotiate several of the things in the contract. If you don't have an agent, just be sure you know what language you DO want to use, if you want to change it. You may also try to just strike things out. Best wishes!

Thanks for the info. Could be a moot point - they need to like my book enough to start talking contracts, but I can hope. :)

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
I subbed to Permuted last week. If, on the billion to one chance, they like my book and a contract comes up, the point in bold would be my first concern especially the genre issue. Still, these things can always be talked about.

Hey Luke - good luck! I would try to get an agent if they make an offer, though.

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
Seun, what he's saying is: once you have an offer from a publisher, sometimes an agent will be more inclined to work with you, so you can hurry up and call or email a bunch of agents IF the publisher does offer you a contract.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
We'll see how things go. If anything happens with Permuted, you'll all be the first to know.

amberhuez

It's a woman's world.
Registered
Reaction score
Submitted to them recently. Thanks for this thread. Was not aware of them until I found these posts. They sound excellent. Is there a list anywhere of publishers who accept unsolicited manuscripts?

Last edited:

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
Submitted to them recently. Thanks for this thread. Was not aware of them until I found these posts. They sound excellent. Is there a list anywhere of publishers who accept unsolicited manuscripts?

Ralan's Webstravaganza is an excellent resource for writers of sci-fi, fantasy and horror. You can also check out Duotrope, but I think they may charge a fee now.