Woman's World Response Times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rye-Ting Noo-Bee

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have information about actual response times from Woman's World? I've had four pieces (all mini-romances) rejected by them, all of them roughly 45-50 days after submission. But three pieces are still awaiting a reply--two romances (out 58 and 65 days, respectively), and a mini-mystery (out 90 days). I've had pieces rejected that I submitted after those mss. Is this a good sign, or does it not mean anything at all?

Thanks everyone. Whew, that wasn't so hard: my first post!

ElleF

Registered
Reaction score
Website
members.aol.com
I think I've subbed about 10 times to them. A rejection each time, but I did notice that the ones that took the longest--3 to 4 months--were the ones that made it past Jimmy and up to Johnene.

It was nice to know that some made it all the way up the totem pole, but they still got rejected.

WW is VERY specific in what they are looking for, and apparently I don't have it! :D

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
Like ElleF, I've submitted to them a number of times. I have found that if Jimmy rejects a story, it's within four to five weeks. If it makes it on to Johnene, it can be more like five months.

Rye-Ting Noo-Bee

Registered
Reaction score
Robin, Elle, Carol--thanks a lot for your replies. Maybe those subs did make it to Johnene... That would be swell!

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Rye-Ting Noo-Bee!

One time, a few years ago, when all the planets were in perfect alignment, I had a romance story published by Woman's World. So it does happen!

Rye-Ting Noo-Bee

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Carol! I'm still hoping...

I forgot to ask: Do you guys know whether there's a principled difference in response time between the romances and the mini-mysteries?

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
I tried submitting a couple of mysteries, too. No, I don't remember there being much difference with the response times.

Carol

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I recently submitted a romance to them. Jimmy wrote back to say that they had some of their column space cut and asked me to adjust my word count to 800-900 words. I don't know if this is a temporary or permanent change, and I don't know if it affects the mysteries, too.

Sometimes Jimmy will write to request changes--this is usually a good sign. But you still have to make it through her again, and then on to Johnene.

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
Good luck, Rye-Ting Noo-Bee!

One time, a few years ago, when all the planets were in perfect alignment, I had a romance story published by Woman's World. So it does happen!

A friend of mine sold them several short mysteries, but that's been at least 9-10 years ago so it wouldn't help to ask her about response times.

Rye-Ting Noo-Bee

Registered
Reaction score
I also noticed that many of the recent romances published in WW were more in the 800-900 word range. I asked them explicitly about this back in March, and they said there was an occasional need to edit stories down a bit, but the general guideline was still 1000 words.

lrs

Registered
Reaction score
maybe this is posted somewhere around here, but you guys got me curious, do you have a link to their guildelines and know how much they pay? I need to make some money! Might as well try with them! lol

Rye-Ting Noo-Bee

Registered
Reaction score
I thought I'd share with you guys that I received a (very nice) rejection from Johnene today for a mini-mystery that I'd submitted almost four months ago. This is the first submission that made it up to her, so I'm actually pretty happy about it.

lrs

Registered
Reaction score
I have a quick question, who do you address your query to? They always say to make sure and address your query to someone, but i'm not sure here. Thanks!

Rye-Ting Noo-Bee

Registered
Reaction score
No need to query, just send the ms. Like the guidelines etc., the address is in the thread mentioned in Carol's post above. The fiction editor is Johnene Granger.

lrs

Registered
Reaction score
But you have to put some sort of cover letter with it, right? Addressed to someone with your address?

By the way, sorry about the rejection, but its great it made it so high up!

Rye-Ting Noo-Bee

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, I always include a cover letter. I've always used "Dear Ms. Granger," but since she used my first name on the rejection, I guess I'll make that "Dear Johnene" in the future :)

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
Noo-Bee,

Congrats! You made it to the "second round." That is a great accomplishment!

Good luck next time, and to you as well, Irs.

I'm still waiting to hear about a Halloween romance I submitted...

Last edited:

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still waiting to hear about my Halloween story, and I'm getting anxious. I mean, wouldn't they be working on their October issues right about now?

They say to submit holiday-themed material six months in advance, but if their submission process can take up to that long...what the heck?

Status
Not open for further replies.