Need mainstream, family market

Jenny

Who should be writing ...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a 1,000 word story (just sneaks into suddenly fiction I think, so I'm posting here) which needs a family, heartwarming market. I'd describe it as a woman's story. I have had a look around the net, but can't find a home. Any magazine suggestions?

Jenny

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I did try duotrope - any length, romance and mainstream, but I don't think they list the popular magazines which I want to start with. I couldn't see any starting with "Woma/en" or "Family" which made me suspect the engine wasn't what I was after. I guess I was asking for American markets - the sort of magazine you'd give to someone waiting in a doctor's surgery.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
I did try duotrope - any length, romance and mainstream, but I don't think they list the popular magazines which I want to start with. I couldn't see any starting with "Woma/en" or "Family" which made me suspect the engine wasn't what I was after. I guess I was asking for American markets - the sort of magazine you'd give to someone waiting in a doctor's surgery.

How about Country Woman or Woman's Weekly?

cool_st_elizabeth

Last person who isn't on Facebook
Registered
Reaction score
Woman's World buys contemporary romance stories of 1,100 words. A friend asked for guidelines & got an email from one of their editors, who said that when they say "romance" they really mean relationships. Pay is $1,000 for romances ... I write mysteries, and they pay $500 for those. Still trying to crack that market.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
Woman's World buys contemporary romance stories of 1,100 words. A friend asked for guidelines & got an email from one of their editors, who said that when they say "romance" they really mean relationships. Pay is $1,000 for romances ... I write mysteries, and they pay $500 for those. Still trying to crack that market.

Jimmy Meiss at Woman's World recently noted to me on one of my submission that they now want stories that are 1,000 words or under - the space for the short stories has been cut.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
They are still a great market (they've published my mystery stories)

Can you tighten your story to meet their criteria? $1k is a nice chunk o' change!

Also, check out specialty print mags (public library is a great place for this) that focus on women.

Jenny

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I did try Woman's World, but as they nicely noted, the story's more family, and they want romance. I'll look up Country Woman and Woman's Weekly - thanks:) It's hard being in Australia and trying to find American mags. I guess I'm just not thinking clearly enough. I tried one of the mag seller sites, but I'll have to pop out to the library and look up Writers Market. I've a sneaking suspicion I was being lazy and relying on you people's good will (which is limitless!) rather than plain old research. Bad me :) While I was looking I did find a list of UK markets - in case anyone's interested http://www.sallyquilford.co.uk/page14.htm

Last edited:

padnar

Registered
Reaction score
HI Jenny ,
Don't worry I am from India but still
I am trying .
padma