Articles about Sudden Fiction

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
I've been doing a little reading, trying to educate myself about what does and doesn't work in Sudden Fiction, and I thought you might like to read some of the articles I came across.

Young, J. (2006) Flash, Absence as Content: Tao Lin's "Things I Wanted to Do Today. The Angler; iss. redemption

Unknown (2007) Smoking with Nancy Zafris. Smokelong Quarterly; iss 16

Young, J. (2007) Poetics of Flash: An analysis of Kathy Fish's 'The Photograph'. The Angler; iss. divination

I'll add more as I come across them. If anyone else wants to contribute, go ahead!

Last edited:

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
Cath, great links. The last two link to the same article. But if you scroll down, there are links to a whole bunch of flash fiction that are unbelievably good. Don't read them all at once. Mavis Gallant said that short stories shouldnt be read like chapters in a book, one after the other, but read individually, savoured, digested, before moving on to the next story.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to add something to the analysis of the Photograph. I have a degree in Lit and as a writer, it's really important to remember that most of those meanings that the reviewer finds were probably not originally intended by the author. As a writer, we have an idea and we think about it and we write it. Only after we have written it can we get a glimpse of what we might have intended. I hesitate to use the word theme, but all work, no matter how riproaring exciting has a theme.

Anyway, dont get all twisted in a knot trying to come up with imagery and meaning and stuff like that. It's often said that the worst person to ask about the meaning of his work is the creator of it. So write it, make it as tight as you can, have it say what you want it to say, and let the critic come up with clever stuff.

And dont think it's just Literature (no sneering please lol)that has this stuff. How many times havent you read an action story, or a horror one, and have argued with a friend about what it all meant?

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
these are great-ty!!

loved the idea of starting at the arc...

Last edited: