Firearms with Character

Parkinsonsd

Registered
Reaction score
I'll admit that I'm a bit of a gun nut, and appreciate cowboy action shooting more than I should, and whenever I see a movie, I look at the gun and get a longing.

In Quigley Down Under, Selleck shot a model 1874 Sharps. Beautiful, beautiful gun. In my opinion a veritable work of art. They're also heavy as all get out, but it's a nice gun, with a venerable reputation.

What's your favorite firearm from literature or movies?

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
I remember Quiglley's gun, in fact, that is about all I remember of the movie.

As a kid I liked Lucas McCain's rifle (The Rifleman). That big round lever was magic.

I'm not a gun enthusiast but if I had to pick a favorite:

3030.jpg

A Winchester 3030, I guess it is the model 94, but I don't know if other models look much like it. It just felt like it fit in my hands.

Jedi Dad

Writing with Force
Registered
Reaction score
favorite "sidearm" has got to be a lightsaber. :D

Parkinsonsd

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, well, I assumed it would be something with a more "Old West" feel to it. But hey, lightsabers and M-14s are good. I guess.

Axler

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.markellisink.com
Favorite non-Western firearm...the good ol' UNCLE Special

uncle_special_carbine.jpg

Favorite Western firearm...James West's spring-powered sleeve derringer from The Wild, Wild West

gun_derringer4.jpg

Favorite gun of my own creation...Death Hawk's Hawken .690.

mark_ellis.jpg

Last edited:

Cav Guy

Living in the backstory
Registered
Reaction score
Tossup here. I quite like Col Mortimer's Colt with the shoulder stock from "For a Few Dollars More," but I'm also partial to the Preacher's Remington Army from "Pale Rider." Jim West's Peacemakers (the TV show, not that abortion of a movie) also have a soft spot for me.

Axler

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.markellisink.com
Yeah, Jim West's Colt with the coiled silver rattlesnake engraved on the black grip was cool.

When I wrote The Wild, Wild West comics mini-series I was anal that the artist, Darryl Banks, get that element of West's pistol right...it wasn't easy finding reference, but we managed.

200px-Wwwco.jpg

Gus's pistol in Lonesome Dove was a Colt Dragoon, often known as a "horse pistol" because it was usually slung from a saddle horn. Only rarely were those guns carried in holsters because of their size and weight.

gusgun.jpeg

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Interesting Death Hawk cover, I thought I was looking at Paul Gulacy's artwork (in a good complimentary way).

Heh heh, shooting a .690 caliber must be fun on the old wrist and shoulder.

I had that Man from UNCLE gun rig as a kid, in its flimsy little cutout box.

-Derek

Jedi Dad

Writing with Force
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, well, I assumed it would be something with a more "Old West" feel to it. But hey, lightsabers and M-14s are good. I guess.

Well if we are talking old west, you have to go with a Colt .45 for sidearm and a Winchester rifle. The way the Rifleman would fly off on that thing was awesome.

Summonere

Registered
Reaction score
General Electric M-134 mini-gun, from Predator.

Festus

No limits to imagination
Registered
Reaction score
I got to shoot a replica of Sellecks rifle from "Quigley Down Under" I was surprised by the acccuracy and the moderate recoil - I was expecting much worse, it was a nice firing gun.

I have a Colt peacemaker that I'm mighty fond of also. Before and after I had it modified, you could look down the sights and not reliably hit the side of a barn, but I found that if you point it like you would your finger, you can hit pert near anything - I rolled a soft drank can all over the ground shooting it like this at 30 ft - at least as long as the can lasted.

Another favorite of mine is my 1897 Winchester 12 ga. pump. These fine weapons saw a lot of action with the Texas Rangers and a host of others, including my grandpa.

Of course, the good old double barrel saw a lot of usage, mine is a 12ga, though I would like one of the old 10ga. Greener's like John Wayne used.

BTW, Haggis. I too loved the M-14, it was a mighty fine weapon.

Axler

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.markellisink.com
Interesting Death Hawk cover, I thought I was looking at Paul Gulacy's artwork (in a good complimentary way).

The cover was penciled by the uber-talented Darryl Banks and colored by the mega-talented Melissa Martin.

Heh heh, shooting a .690 caliber must be fun on the old wrist and shoulder.

Actually, Adam Hughes introduced the Hawken .690 in the first full-length Death Hawk story...it was a lot harder on living targets that it was on his wrist and shoulder

1171503842_nOPjpLo7kh.jpg

Vanatru

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I always got a warm fuzzy from that gatling gun used in A Fistful of Dollars when Ramon and his group dressed up as yankies and shot up that mexican army group. That gun was hot.

Next to that would be the coaloil saber used by the Steam Jedi in Once Upon A Clockwork Time in the West. Nothing better than saber sizzling with steam. Hissss hisss hissss.

Anthony Ravenscroft

Scribble, scribble, scribble
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.crossquarter.com
One that got away, sad to say -- but I have good thoughts about the now-defunct shop it was at.

Can't recall the calibre, but it was a Winchester lever-gun, an anniversary reissue of a buffalo-gun version, with a full-length stock & the three-inch tip-up windage sight. Basically it was meant to rest on a handy support, take slow aim, & bring down a target at mid-distance, but it felt totally natural in regular stance. I've always wanted a proper saddlegun, & (naturally) when I made up my mind & went back to get it, it was sold.

(If anyone's got a link about this model, please post!)

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
My enforcement sidearm was the Colt Python, 357 maggy. So damned accurate I beat the pants off the rest of the officers. I've owned the Colt .45 and could hit a mountain with it. Had a Colt Troopers that was awesome too.

Owned and fired a M1 Garand (Tanker model w/flash supressor) chamber for .308. Wholly crap, she was all chrome and deadly as hell.

But...I've alway wanted that damn BAR in 30.06. Never got one.

Tri

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
This isn't really from a movie, and in some ways it's not a gun, either. But at our Renn Faire there is a pirate shop and they sell guns as well as the piratey junk. They have a small pearl-handled gun, looks like a Derringer, only it's set up as a mini-crossbow.

I have wanted that since the first time I saw it, and I see it every year and want it more and more.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
Hmmm, interesting question. Fictional firearms from Western Fiction? well, surely Mal Reynolds' pistol from Firefly has to be the weapon of choice.

As to actual Western firearms with a bit of character? I like the idea of the Colt Frontier, a Peacemaker chambered for the same catridge as the Winchester rifle.
The Winchester Volcanic was an interesting idea, but I can't imagine that a lever-action pistol was all that practical.

Festus mentioned his 1897 pump-gun. Can you imagine when pump-action shotguns were first developed? carrying what looks like a single shot scatter-gun that'll fire and fire and fire. I bet that surprised a few bad guys.

Cav Guy

Living in the backstory
Registered
Reaction score
Fictional weapons? For me it would have to be the Scorpion pistol from the PS2 game Red Dead Revolver. Now that's a hard-hittin' hand cannon!

Gun has some decent weapons, but none in the same class as the Scorpion or the Widowmaker (my other choice, although there are some other nicely-rendered weapons in that game as well).

Summonere

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, westerns. Too late did I notice that this was all about western gear. In that case...

Tuco's revolver from The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. You know, the one he assembled from the parts of lesser revolvers to make a super revolver, the kind you don't have to aim to hit anything with. (And he wore it on a string around his neck. Cool, man. Cool.)