Firearms with Character

Cav Guy

Living in the backstory
Registered
Reaction score
yeah, the Ferguson .69 was a pretty rifle.
I didn't think of video games (Probably since there's so few Western games).
Three that I'm aware of (Red Ded, Gun, and a second Gun called Showdowns I think...haven't played it). I've heard rumors of a Red Ded 2, which would be sweet....:e2headban

Festus

No limits to imagination
Registered
Reaction score
We'd like to interrupt this broadcast for shameless promotion of a challenge in SYW (Western).

We've got a challenge going on right now for stories involving the usage of unusual weapons - those apart from the normal Colt Pistols, Winchester Rifles and double barrel shotguns.

Only a couple of folks here have dipped their biscuits in the gravy, we'd like to see some more folks get to sopping in it!

We now return you to your regular show. :)

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
I watched some Firefly over the weekend and would now like to add Zoe's cut-down repeater:
zoeyc0.jpg
May not be too practical, but it is characterful.

JB_Finesse

Registered
Reaction score
Winchester%201887.jpg

The Winchester 1887 lever-action shotgun. Everyone should remember the cut-down version from Terminator 2.
lg6865.jpg

Those Colt Navy .36's that Clint used in a bunch of movies were pretty cool.
Guns.gif

These Freedom Arms 83's are based on the Colt SAA, except they're chambered in .454 Casull so some crazy bastard can hunt bears with them.

Last edited:

The Grift

Tom Swiftly's Favorite Adverb
Registered
Reaction score
Next to that would be the coaloil saber used by the Steam Jedi in Once Upon A Clockwork Time in the West. Nothing better than saber sizzling with steam. Hissss hisss hissss.

Vanatru, my google-fu is weak. Please advise what you are referencing here, it sounds intriguing.

Back to the original question. Old West guns with character? How about the Civil War era LeMat revolver? Just like your normal .44 cal revolver except there was a SHOTGUN under the barrel. Neat.

4kyyyyc.jpg

6aki7eq.jpg

Kind of like an old west version of Deckard's Detective Special Blaster from Blade Runner.

68bcvpi.jpg

Vanatru

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Vanatru, my google-fu is weak. Please advise what you are referencing here, it sounds intriguing.

:) Sorry, that was my weak attempt at spoofing on those who somehow thought that non-firearms fit in with the thread. With a side throw to Starwars and some western movies. *sigh* Another effort in vain.

Alas, back to clown college for me. *sniff*

The Grift

Registered
Reaction score
See, I was gullible enough to fall for it. I have seen several Marvel comics and their characters magically transported to other times (Punisher in the Old West, the recent bunch of mini-series set in the early 17th century, etc etc) and Star Wars was once a Marvel property (now Dark Horse, I know.)

But I maintain that a steampunk Star Wars could be interesting... or horrible... take your pick.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Grift, those guns are totally cool! Where did you find them? Is there a url?

(Ummm, no, I'm not going to go to said url and drool and compare and research and somehow add them into my WIPs and see if I can find any to actually fondle in real life.)

(Well, maybe a little.)

JB_Finesse

Registered
Reaction score
Pretty sure he found them here.

I remember a friend wanting some unique weapon for a character, so I suggested an updated version of the LeMat. Double-action, 10mm Auto with a 20-gauge shotgun barrel, stainless steel finish, and a better grip. And even though he killed off the character, another one kept the revolvers.

Here's what Deckard's pistol was based on.
Bedside_Bulldog.JPG

The Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 Special (not Magnum).

cooltouch

Registered
Reaction score
Website
michaelmcbroom.com
What's your favorite firearm from literature or movies?

Hmmm. Why does it always have to be just one?

Favorites in the movies/literature based on personal experience (in rough order of preference):

M-16
Colt 1911A1
Ruger Mini-14
Winchester Model 1200 pump
Lee-Enfield No. 1 Mk III SMLE
M-1 Garand
Wehrmacht Mauser K98

Best,

Michael

The Grift

Registered
Reaction score
Pretty sure he found them here.

That's where I stole the pictures, but I don't remember where I originally discovered the LeMat.

Deckard's gun...well...I obviously found it from Blade Runner :)

Both the LeMat and Deckard's gun reminded me of this gem, which some of you might remember from your arcade days...

62du061.jpg

Vanatru

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
See, I was gullible enough to fall for it. I have seen several Marvel comics and their characters magically transported to other times (Punisher in the Old West, the recent bunch of mini-series set in the early 17th century, etc etc) and Star Wars was once a Marvel property (now Dark Horse, I know.)

But I maintain that a steampunk Star Wars could be interesting... or horrible... take your pick.

Funny you say that. After I did that little goof, I thought of how to incorporate into or a similar idea into one of my steampunk stories. Still haven't, but wanting to. :)

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
Thank you all, all this LeMat talk has cleared up a bit of a mystery that has been bothering me about Call of Juarez.

Like many video games, they don't give firearms there actual name (presumably to save on royalties and such). So the Schofield becomes the Quickshooter, the Frontier becomes the Border, the Peacemaker becomes the 1889 Classic.

And there is also a "Hybrid Gun" in one episode, a funny looking revolver that holds 8 pistol rounds and a single rifle round (in a seperate barrel under the normal). It even looks like This LeMat.

One more mystery solved!

MichaelZWilliamson

Combat Word Hacker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MichaelZWilliamson.com
Those look like Colt Walkers Clint is holding there.

Do I have to choose only one?

http://www.sharppointythings.com/piwigo/_data/i/upload/2018/03/25/20180325170631-a3b48970-la.jpg

I mean, I have original 1858 Remingtons, a 1917 Smith, US marked, a 2nd Model Smith (white grips, bottom) with a 3 digit serial number, several Colt New Armys, a Triple Lock, an 1863 Colt Pocket Navy factory converted to .38 RF...

I do love the Springfield Trapdoor, though. Also original.

http://www.sharppointythings.com/piwigo/upload/2018/06/14/20180614151350-06cab74c.jpg

http://www.sharppointythings.com/piwigo/_data/i/upload/2018/06/14/20180614151351-c4ef1250-la.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Cool pics! No problems with your hotlinking them since http://www.sharppointythings.com/ is your own site, but we have an image size limit which is max. 400px x 400px (many members still only have dial-up connections and big pics suck).

If they can't be shrunk then can you URL link them instead?

-Derek

GFXJames

Registered
Reaction score
Colt .45 , "peacemaker" , for me, please.

I am not an absolute western fan ( but enjoy it like most fiction genres. Maybe among my 3 fav ones : Medieval Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Western. Not speaking specifically about writing genres) . I contributed with free work to a video game mod, some eons ago, I was indeed starting my 3D career (several companies' job experience came later, but back then had only worked in design/painting) . I still keep some pics/renders of that 3D (don't be too cruel, is for the machines of those years (maybe 20 years ago), the PCs could not handle many polygons, so, many concave areas and details are faked with textures, not with real polies or normal maps (those did not exist, yet...))

Other than that, the Dirty Harry's Magnum 44...

Back to classic westerns, the Winchester 73, and the Sharp Shooter, rarely depicted in any western movie... but was a fine (yet unreliable) sniper rifle of the times, all things considered.

Am not a fan of weapons, though... I have to research in EVERYTHING for both 3D and illustration projects... and end up falling in love with all what I research, lol (although being a pacifist and all... but have planned to model sth as complex as a tall ship in the line of the HMS Victory... just not that one, as everybody and their dog has modeled that one, lol... )

39701821983_7c7c552d8d_n.jpg

BTW, is almost impossible to find a single game 3D artwork where horses are both well modeled and animated... (just as rare as it is to see them well drawn in illustrations...)

Last edited:

Jerome Price

Registered
Reaction score
From the "Professional's" it would have to be the Model 97 Winchester shotgun along with the '03 Springfield rifle, (both which I own) Also the 1895 GBL Marlin used in the film "Wind River." Last but not least, I think my favorite would be the Spencer carbine developed in the Civil War. The army used them for awhile after the war turning the tide of battle at the wagon box fight in 1868 using them. Unfortunately, the .56-50 rimfire cartridge just couldn't compete against the ,44-40 used in the Winchesters.