"Epic Fantasy"

Status
Not open for further replies.

glutton

Banned
Reaction score
Anybody hate this term, used interchangably with "high fantasy", like I do?

I don't mean that I hate anything in the subgenre as a matter of course (though I don't like much in it); I enjoyed David Drake and David Farland's books in this category, and some of the (don't kill me) Sword of Shannara books.

My pet peeve is that the term "epic" has come to commonly refer to big, long books with lots of viewpoints and often a certain overused basic plot, whereas the true epic poems of old usually focused on a small number of characters doing big things (Beowulf, Gilgamesh, Ramayana, Odyssey, Orlando Furioso, the Iliad to a somewhat lesser extent). And since when are "epic heroes" ordinary shmoes who find their great destiny? Old-school epic heroes kicked ass from the beginning of their books. Heck, modern heroic fantasy is closer to the old school epics, than "epic fantasy."

What's worse, this bastardization (IMO) of the term has gotten to the point where, when I once referred to my characters as "epic heroes", another writer said no, epic to him meant saving the world. WTF?! How many of the old school epic heroes saved the world? Maybe their nation/people, but the world? It's appalling to see someone apparently identify the term "epic", with the cliche plot of the farmboy fulfilling his prophesized destiny to save the world (or something like that).

...well, there's my rant for the day.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
epic means big. It can be a big story, or big characters, or big-friggin-poem. If readers buy it, then who cares how they define it?

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Re: Epic Fantasy

Anybody hate this term, used interchangably with "high fantasy", like I do?
Before this causes your dear old moderator to go ballistic, let's be careful about the terms "love," "hate," "best," "worst," "bad," "good," etc. Using them without being absolutely clear that such is your opinion and not something you demand of the others in the forum.

glutton

Banned
Reaction score
"Hate" is a matter of personal viewpoint, and as such inherently based in opinion (as is love).

What mainly annoys me is that some fantasy readers/writers these days seem only to know the term "epic" in the context of Epic/Heroic Fantasy, thus leading them to incorrectly "correct" other uses of the term (like the aforementioned "correction" to my use of "epic heroes", or if I called a story an "epic" and somebody said, "that's not an epic, where are the two dozen viewpoints - that kind of thing).

Oddsocks

Registered
Reaction score
I agree that epic does mean big, in whatever sense. Long series with many viewpoint characters in which the world is saved are epic in that sense, because they're big.

A story can be epic without those elements, but those stories are still epic. And besides, language changes, word meanings shift - It doesn't really matter what it's described as so long as you're happy with what you're writing (although, I've never heard any 'must have multiple viewpoints to be epic' stipulation).

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deathwizardchronicles.blogspot.com
Glutton:

I think you bring up a good point. Horror, westerns, romance ... these are all well-defined, for the most part. But the landscape of fantasy has become blurred. I've always thought of epic fantasy in terms of what dclary described: large in scope, setting, terrain, number of characters, overall length ... mixed in with an even larger dose of nobleness. But I'm sure there are those who will respectfully disagree.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I still think that you should just stick whatever names fit on your story. If your story doesn't fit in one genera, then stick two names on it!

Like you could say you write Action Adventure Epic Heroic Bad Ass Woman Fantasy novels.

Isn't that the best genera ever! The only thing better is a Romantic Comedy Fantasy Horror Supernatural Drama Splatter Zombie novel with satirical overtones and a faint whiff of cheese. Mmm...cheese.

So who cares what a fantasy story is called? The people who file them, and those strange people who obsesses about stories...you know, the weirdos that sit around all day and just think of stories and do nothing else. You know those guys...writers, that was their name! I've noticed, as a reader, that only one person I've ever known actually cared about what genera a book fell under, and he's this guy who barely spoke english and sits in front of me in Literature class, reading Halo books all day. And he calls MY books weird. Jasper Fford could beat up every Halo book ever written with three arms tied behind his back...grumble grumble.

Where was I? Oh yes, don't worry about what your story is filed under. Just write it, then string together as many names as you want. I find the wider a story is, the better it is. A story that can make you laugh, cry, fall in love and feel all warm and tingly is better than a story that just makes you cry, or just makes you laugh and such.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
If we're going to be nit-picky, epic doesn't mean "big", and neither does it refer to the heroic. It's a "mode of presentation". Like many of the terms used for literary genre, "epic" goes back to Aristotle. There are three genres of poetry: lyric, drama, and epic.

Lyric: the poet speaks
Drama: the characters speak
Epic: both the poet and the characters speak

So, basically what we have in the epic genre is verse with guest speakers. Of course, this makes the poem quite big. Now, who would have wasted an epic poem on a farm hand? ("Oh, cow thy milk invigorate the master/and I the implement of dairy's ample flow")

A lot of things have changed since then (prominence of prose, mass literacy, an interest in the story of the little man...). Restricting the use of "epic" to subject matters deemed worthy in the past is justifyable, but so is expanding it. The "epic poems" have been called "epic" because of their form, not their content, anyway.

Heck, why shouldn't I argue that James Joyce's Ulysses, using the epic form on a contra-traditional subject matter, deserves the term "epic" more than any fantasy ever did?

Does it matter?

I like to read some of the stuff referred to as "epic fantasy" (most recently Scott Bakker's books), and I'd enjoy them under any other name as well. I don't think it matters much what we call genres, as long as we have a basis for communication.

yappo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ljiid.blogspot.com
I have to admit being a bit surprised to see epic used as a synonym for high when combined with the word fantasy.

As I have come to understand the terms epic fantasy is simply large scale fantasy. Save the world for those involved and those they care for, which could be a single city in a large world.

High fantasy always meant Walmart magic for me, by which I mean that all or most of the fantastic, and often clicheed, attributes of fantasy are present in such a way that the presence in itself is not the least fantastic for the characters involved.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed David Drake and David Farland's books in this category, and some of the (don't kill me) Sword of Shannara books.
I'll let this pass...for now.

It's appalling to see someone apparently identify the term "epic", with the cliche plot of the farmboy fulfilling his prophesized destiny to save the world (or something like that).
I personally can't stand the farmboy prophesy, or hitching a plot to a prohpecy at all.

I don't know if it's high or epic. The terminology is tough to determine, but the writer does have to classify it, at least to an agent or editor. Maybe tag it as fantasy, and describe the rest, letting the ed/agent sort out which bin to put it in.

glutton

Banned
Reaction score
I think you bring up a good point. Horror, westerns, romance ... these are all well-defined, for the most part. But the landscape of fantasy has become blurred.

Yeah, I see that too. For example, it's pretty easy to blur the line between epic and heroic fantasy (ex. David Drake's Lord of the Isles, billed as the former but you can argue for the latter, or many of David Gemmell's books, which are always billed as heroic but have "epic" elements), or heroic fantasy and sword and sorcery. Urban fantasy is more easily distinguished from the above, but covers so much ground as well. Dark fantasy confuses me too - some people use it to mean pseudo-horror fiction, others just fantasy with a dark tone.

One of the things I find silly about the term "epic fantasy" is that a modern retelling of one of the old epics like Beowulf or Gilgamesh, retaining the tight focus of the originals, likely wouldn't be classified as such - even though the characters and deeds in those are as "big" as you get. Just seems wrong to me.

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
Big Fantasy

Glutton:

I think you bring up a good point. Horror, westerns, romance ... these are all well-defined, for the most part. But the landscape of fantasy has become blurred. I've always thought of epic fantasy in terms of what dclary described: large in scope, setting, terrain, number of characters, overall length ... mixed in with an even larger dose of nobleness. But I'm sure there are those who will respectfully disagree.

It probably looks blurred right now because fantasy is changing. Everybody seems to be tired of whatever "Epic" fantasy was. I would say fantasy is evolving to fill many of the niches that used to be filled by Sci Fi: Alternative Worlds have replaced Alternative futures. I suppose once you arrive in one of the Alternative Futures postulated by Sci Fi, then it is time to turn to fantasy and think about Alternative Worlds.

Fantasy is now a genre that contains so much diverse subgeneric material that it is no longer easy to define...which, as everyone has been pointing out, is all for the best.

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com
I see the problem, but for some reason it's not one that bothers me. My own fantasy novel involves prophecy and a lost Emperor, but I consider it heroic fantasy not epic. Of course it's as much about manipulating prophecy as following it, there are no farmboys in it, and the protagonist is not the lost Emperor.

Having said that, I see epic as being more a description of the scope of the work than anything else. Epics have a greater scope than smaller works.

All I worry about though is that when opinions differ we spend the time to make sure everyone understands what each thinks a term means.

JPSpideyCJ

Registered
Reaction score
I hate this too. I wrote a book and was told it's 'Epic' Fantasy' which it is, but there ios no prophecy, no destiny, no wise old mentor, and no one in my books even comes close to saving the world, the most they ever come to is saving a small city.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Epic

The word "epic" is used to describe novels in pretty much every genre. The are epic fantasies, epic westerns, epic you name it. And movies were using the word for darned near every genre there since long before I was born.

And the word "saga" is often thrown in. "An epic sage of one family's adventures in settling a continent.

I think you're taking the word "epic" too personally. All genres use it, and have for a long, long time. So do movies.

Just don't use the word yourself. Write the book you want to write, and never use the word "epic" to describe it. Such labels are best left to others.

glutton

Banned
Reaction score
Just don't use the word yourself. Write the book you want to write, and never use the word "epic" to describe it. Such labels are best left to others.

Um, I think you misunderstand. It's not the word "epic" that I dislike; I love the word. Nor is it the wide usage of the term for anything "big", I'm aware of and perfectly fine with that.

It's the narrowing of its meaning within the fantasy genre, ie. the way the categoric term "epic fantasy" implies that if your stuff isn't "High Fantasy", then it can't be "epic" that annoys me.

Eg. you call your book an epic story, and somebody who identifies the word "epic" with high fantasy says "no, it's not epic because it's not High Fantasy" (like in my original example about the "epic heroes"), that's what makes me groan.

The fact that heroic fantasy is actually closer in subject matter and style to the traditional/classical epics is just the icing on the cake.

Last edited:

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
It's true, "Epic Fantasy" and "High Fantasy" have become almost synonymous. I think epic implies serious themes and problems, though. Overthrowing a king. Stopping the world from being destroyed by evil. Saving human civilization.

If you have a story where your next door neighbor is a misunderstood demon who gives you tips on horse races, it may be fun, but it's probably not epic.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Um, I think you misunderstand. It's not the word "epic" that I dislike; I love the word. Nor is it the wide usage of the term for anything "big", I'm aware of and perfectly fine with that.

It's the narrowing of its meaning within the fantasy genre, ie. the way the categoric term "epic fantasy" implies that if your stuff isn't "High Fantasy", then it can't be "epic" that annoys me.

Eg. you call your book an epic story, and somebody who identifies the word "epic" with high fantasy says "no, it's not epic because it's not High Fantasy" (like in my original example about the "epic heroes"), that's what makes me groan.

I think at the point where you're kvetching over what subgenre you're writing, you probably need to just step back, maybe knock back a Corona, and refocus on the important things. Nitpickiness is not a virtue.

glutton

Banned
Reaction score
It's not something I think about all the time, but it came up in my musings, so I made a thread and now I'm rolling with it. There are smaller things I've seen people nitpick about, anyway (like people who refuse to read a book because of extremely minor elements...)

Anyway, another illustration of my point: A book about a farmboy fulfilling a prophecy to save the world, weighing in at 970 pages and diverging into the viewpoints of 28 supporting characters over the course of 13 subplots, is likely, by this definition, to be considerated "epic (fantasy)".

Meanwhile, a 350-page tight, focused book about a super EPIC warrioress who fights her way through hell to win back the souls of her children, also battling good gods who don't want her disrupting the balance of the universe along the way, would likely not be defined as "epic".

That's just wrong.:rant:

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I think I'll just withdraw from the topic. Sorry.

glutton

Banned
Reaction score
?

What did I say?

If it's because the examples are ridiculous, they're meant to be tongue in cheek. Still, does the second one not strike you as fitting the term "epic"?

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Well, there's a genre, within fantasy, that focuses on an event rather than on a character. People usually call this genre "epic fantasy". You follow the life of an epic hero: not "epic fantasy". You detail the way an epic event evolves: epic fantasy. (Iliad: epic fantasy; Odyssey: heroic fantasy) You seem to understand this, but don't like the term "epic fantasy" for this genre. If I'm wrong, tell me.

Now, I have a clarification question:

Do you think it's useful to posit the genre (independantly of how its called)? Or do you think the genre-limits are arbitrary and not useful? Are we talking about narrow genre limits, or are we talking about naming?

I have a hunch we're talking about naming. If so, what alternate terms would you propose? How about Expansive Fantasy?

glutton

Banned
Reaction score
Mostly naming, and the implied limits this use of "epic" puts on the use of the term in the fantasy genre (at least, in the minds of some).

As for alternate terms, "high fantasy" seems acceptable, if you tweak the meaning a bit and think of the high as referring to "high concept" or something similar. The two terms (high fantasy and epic fantasy) have become almost synonymous to most people, anyway. Or, Expansive Fantasy would be okay too, but not as familiar as High Fantasy.

Just free the word "epic" from its shackles to a specific subgenre, so it run happy and free and grace the stories of epic heroes everywhere! :tongue

Last edited:

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deathwizardchronicles.blogspot.com
It probably looks blurred right now because fantasy is changing. Everybody seems to be tired of whatever "Epic" fantasy was. I would say fantasy is evolving to fill many of the niches that used to be filled by Sci Fi: Alternative Worlds have replaced Alternative futures. I suppose once you arrive in one of the Alternative Futures postulated by Sci Fi, then it is time to turn to fantasy and think about Alternative Worlds.

Fantasy is now a genre that contains so much diverse subgeneric material that it is no longer easy to define...which, as everyone has been pointing out, is all for the best.

Well put.

Status
Not open for further replies.