• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Simon & Schuster

lebarabianchick

Registered
Reaction score
Is Archway publishing good? (merged into BR&BC thread)

Have any of you heard of Archway publishing? I want to publish my children's book and they are charging me $1, 780. It includes copy-write under my name, selling my books through e-books and hard cover, they will help with the marketing and book fairs. Is that a good deal?

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Nope nope nope nope nope.

If a publisher, any publisher, is asking for money, don't just walk away. Run. You DO NOT have to pay to be published. EVER. It's not a "good deal" because the publisher is supposed to pay you for the book, not the other way around.

If you pay a publisher, especially paying them outrageous prices like this, then the reader's not their customer, you are. They have 0 incentive to help sell your book because their money's already in their pocket. Look for publishers who will pay YOU for your hard work or self-publish and do the exact same marketing you'd end up doing with a pay-to-play publisher but without the ridiculous fees.

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not really. The norm is for the publisher to pay the author, edit the book, provide art as needed, publish it, and market it, taking profits from sales. When the author pays the publisher, it's a vanity press. Even worse, it's not unusual for vanity press contracts to use very specific language which allows them to give the impression they'll do this and that while not being contractually obligated to do it. What they say to you is not legally binding, only what's in the contract.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but you should walk away.

But there's good news, too. Why not self-publish? There's lots of information on how and why it can be a good choice here at AbsoluteWrite. Check it out?

Maryn, sorry not to have better news

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Yep. To sum up a lengthy post: Archway bad, do your research, submit the book to a real commercial publisher or learn how to self-publish, join or at least lurk in as many online children's book author forums as you can.

At least your inner bullshit detector went off when you saw Archway's fee.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What the others say: Don't give these guys another thought. I used to partially defend vanity/subsidy publishers based on a "buyer beware" philosophy that as long as you knew what you were getting into and could make it work, go for it. But self-publishing is so readily available now that I don't see how vanity and subsidy publishers fill any need anymore, if they ever did.

Perhaps the Bewares, Recommendations and Background Checks forum might be a better place for this thread?

az shea

Copy editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aszanoni.blogspot.com
Simon & Schuster imprint: Saga

Far as I can tell, this particular Saga imprint is completely unrelated to the Saga Books in Canada; that AW thread is here.

Gizmodo wrote about the Saga imprint [of S&S] back in June 2014. I'm not finding any AW thread.

There is discussion inside the main [Publisher] Simon & Schuster thread from Feb. 2014, starting with Filigree's comment.

Anyone? Any news?

Last edited by a moderator:

Adelle

Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious about Saga Press as well. My agent has them on a list of publishers he sent my novel to, but I don't know much about them.

Anyone have any insights? o.o

Dmbeucler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmbeucler.blogspot.com
Saga is amazing. I met one of their editors, Navah Wolfe, at a few conventions and she made my dream editor list. They published Kameron Hurley's latest book and she's talked a bit about her sales figures on twitter, and they have been strong. They also released The Starlit Wood anthology and a Robots vs Faeries one is coming out next year? But they have some great names in their imprint and seem to have a lot of support.

Last edited:

Adelle

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Dmbeucler! Do you happen to know the turn-around for agented submissions? I'm wondering if they'll get back to me anytime soon. >.>

(Now I'm excited for their response!)

Dmbeucler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmbeucler.blogspot.com
That I have no idea about. :-( I am still in the trying to get agented process myself. But if they accept your manuscript you should have great covers, great distribution, and a great press behind you.

Good luck! I'll keep my (virtual) fingers crossed for you.

Last edited:

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com