understanding people.... why they do certains

teresa20

Just a thought. on how you can write character. understanding real people. seem to help me why people say or do and feel certain ways. and on the same subject everyone feel so diffrent. it help me out some:coffee because I want to be a screenwriter and by looking at real human being. I'm getting better m
might help you!

Lori Basiewicz

I'm going to take a stab at interpreting this because I think it could be a very interesting topic.

Teresa, did you mean do we study real people in order to determine how and why the act the way they do in order to apply that knowledge to our characters so they will behave/react realistically?

If so, the answer is yes, I do. While I cannot always get inside the heads of real people or ask them what they are thinking when they react a certain way, I do like to watch little behaviors or gestures and try to remember them when I'm moving my characters about.

Yeshanu

Teresa, did you mean do we study real people in order to determine how and why the act the way they do in order to apply that knowledge to our characters so they will behave/react realistically?

My favourite subject for observation...

Not only individual psychology, but group dynamics. Like the folks on this board...

Absolutely fascinating. :nerd

maestrowork

Me too. But I don't study specific people to come up with my characters. I use generalization + observation of a sample of people (those I know or people I see on the street or gas stations), TV and movies, and I also use my imagination. Sometimes my intepretations are wrong and that's when my betas come in: "a character like him wouldn't do or say this, etc." People are complex so my feeling is as long as you have good enough motivations and as long as your character does not go from one extreme to another without reasons... complex people are interesting to watch.

Brother Kevin

Re: hmmm

I post on a few political message boards, two boards for motorcyclists and one for hang-glider pilots.

There are a lot of people out there who cling to their beliefs with everything they've got.

In some cases, no amount of evidence, persuasion, logic, articles, web links, pleading, crying, moaning, begging or addition of numerous emoticons will convince them that their position is untenable and needs revision.

"Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is made up!" :rofl

"If I identify myself by my beliefs, and my beliefs are proven wrong, then I am lessened. My ego forbids this. Therefore I will never admit to being wrong."

Vipersniper

Registered
Reaction score
I study people all the time.

:D It is a habit of mine to study people but that is the nurse in me. Because I was trained to find out why a certain patient felt the way that they did. It was called problem solving and you had to do this especially in a nursing home situation. By studying people and figuring out scenarios you can get into the character and create scenes that you feel work. So I suppose this is what you are asking. Hope this helps.