Christian Writer's Conferences

dub

He ain't right...
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't see this thread anywhere.

There are many, and in many parts of the world. I used to participate in the Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writer's Conference, but the physical demands were too much, although the meetings with agents, publishers, writers, and others was beyond compare. Ridgecrest, North Carolina, usually in late April or early May.

I now participate in the tiny Delaware Christian Writer's Conference. Not as much activity, but certainly accessible and extremely well done. Held in Newark, Delaware, in April.

I will be presenting at the Faithwriter's (on again) first ever Conference - Detroit, Michigan, in August.

Any notes on others?

dub

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I attended the ACFW conference in Dallas last year. Pretty much everything was 100% positive.

I attended a small ACW conf. 2 years ago. Not to my liking at all. Very hard-sell on the bookstore. Only 2 presenters. I did get a good (and harsh) crit of my first 5 pages, but the price wasn't worth that one crit.

BruceJ

Me and my Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brucejudisch.com
There's one coming up in Glorieta this fall. Haven't been, but I've heard good things.

ETA: 7/15/09 - Glorieta conference has been discontinued (see post, next page), and has been re-vamped and offered by CLASServices at this link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Roger, there's a link with all the Christian Writers Conferences at:

http://writing.shawguides.com/

It has all the info you'd need for the various ones offered around the States.

dub

He ain't right...
Registered
Reaction score
I probably should have titled this "descriptions of...". I know Glorieta is the crown jewell - I understand it is a physically demanding conference too, is that right?

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been to Glorieta (had fun meeting Gravity!), and I wouldn't say it's too physically demanding. The conference is situated around a lake, so there is some walking involved--and when you get there, you do need to hike your luggage to your room, so I'd advise using wheeled luggage. Other than that, it's not especially demanding, and the walk is so beautiful it makes up for it. (It's scheduled in the fall, and with the trees turning color around the lake, it really is nice!) I highly recommend this conference.

The other "crown jewel" is the Mount Hermon conference in California. I haven't been yet, but I've heard it's the premeir of conferences. There are tons of editors and authors in attendance, and the seminars are chock full of valuable information. Unfortunately it also is the priciest of the conferences.

Last edited:

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't forget the Glorieta Conference coming up Oct. 17-21...

Last edited:

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
American Christian Writers Conference

It'll be in Dallas, Friday, Feb. 15 - Saturday, Feb. 16:

America's Best Value Inn & Suites
13333 N. Stemmons Frwy
Dallas, Tx 75234
(972) 341-8521

(I-35 Exit #441 Valley View)

FACULTY
Steve Laube
Rene Gutteridge
Frank Ball
Reg Forder
Eleonore Forder

A block of rooms at the hotel has been reserved for the price of $59 per room (discount rate--mention the conference).

Tuition: 2-day, $189 before Jan. 25; $209 after
1-day, $102 before Jan. 25; $119 after​

Call or write for brochure, out now:

American Christian Writers
PO Box 110390
Nashville, TN 37222-0390
(615) 834-0450
800-21-WRITE
www.ACWriters.com
[email protected]

I'll be attending this one--let me know if you'll be there!

Last edited:

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Some of you have been asking, so here's some more info about the upcoming American Christian Writers Conference in Dallas. (It's from the brochure, which can be had for the asking--see contact info added above.)

It's not a real big (nor expensive) conference--there's a faculty of 5: Steve Laube of the Steve Laube Agency (teaching nonfiction), Rene Gutteridge, author (teaching fiction), Frank Ball, author (freelance, devotionals, ghostwriter), and Reg and Eleonore Forder, with ACW. But I've always come away inspired--and I've found that smaller gives you more interaction with the faculty.

FRIDAY

8:00 Registration & Book Tables
9:00 Opening
9:30 NF and F Writing: Part ONE
10:30 Break
11:00 NF and F Writing: Part TWO
12:00 Lunch
1:15 "Writer's Tools" - Reg Forder
2:00 NF and F Writing: Part THREE
3:00 Break
3:30 NF and F Writing: Part FOUR
4:30 15-min. consultations with instructors
5:30 Break
6:00 Awards Banquet (cost $21/person)
7:15 Awards and Book Giveaways
8:00 Special Address: "Books Change Lives" - Steve Laube
8:45-?? Night Owls Session:
Steve Laube - "Ask Me Anything"
Rene Gutteridge - "A Skit for Pastor's Sermon"

SATURDAY

8:00 Registration
9:00Opening
9:20 Keynote: Common Writing Problems
10:00 Workshops #A
A-1 Do I Need an Agent (Laube)
A-2 Playwriting (Gutteridge)
A-3 15 min. consultations
11:00 Break
11:30 Workshops #B
B-1 Writing Devotionals (Ball)
B-2 Comedy Writing (Gutteridge)
B-3 15 min. consultations (Laube)
12:30 Lunch
2:00 Workshops #C
C-1 Promoting Your Published Book (Laube)
C-2 Choose the Write Color (Ball)
C-3 15 min. consultations (Gutteridge)
3:00 Break
3:30 Plenary: The Writer's Dream
4:10 Question the Experts - All Instructors
4:50 - 5:00 Wrap Up & Send Off - Reg Forder

Jonny Ryan Mac

Bogey Golfer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I'm thinking of attending this one....The ACW in Dallas, in the post above.

Any one know what to expect? What should I focus on (I'm a first time author. Written Three books, but only have one that I want to seek representation for.)

Ive gotten some mixed reviews from others. How is a Christian Writer's conference differenty from a regulat writers conference?

Any tips, pointers, do's and don'ts?

Any help would be appreciated.

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
. How is a Christian Writer's conference differenty from a regulat writers conference?

The differences vary. I attended a Mid Atlantic CW Conf once and the only difference was that grace was said before lunch.

I have heard that some of the CW conf's have guest speakers that aren't talking about writing or publishing, instead they speak about their "cause" and it's more like a plea for donations. Every secular writer's conf I've attended have only had speakers talking about some part of the industry.

I know that the ACFW conf's have worship sessions scheduled, and members lined up to sing. Of course they don't hang out in the bar between workshops like at many fiction writer's conf's. But other than that, I'd imagine they are similar.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Okay, I'm going to the ACW conference in Dallas in February! I know BruceJ and Patsquiggle are in. Anyone else going?

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The differences vary. I attended a Mid Atlantic CW Conf once and the only difference was that grace was said before lunch.

I have heard that some of the CW conf's have guest speakers that aren't talking about writing or publishing, instead they speak about their "cause" and it's more like a plea for donations. Every secular writer's conf I've attended have only had speakers talking about some part of the industry.

I know that the ACFW conf's have worship sessions scheduled, and members lined up to sing. Of course they don't hang out in the bar between workshops like at many fiction writer's conf's. But other than that, I'd imagine they are similar.

Oh, dear. Thankfully, the ones I've attended have not been like those. Stick to the major ones, and I think you'll have a positive experience. I can personally recommend Glorieta, Mt. Hermon, The Colorado Christian Writers Conference, and the smaller American Christian Writers Conferences.

I highly recommend attending a Christian writers conference if you write for Christian publications. They touch on the pulse of what those publishers are looking for, what to avoid doing, what issues are currently hot topics, etc. And, even more importantly, I think, these conferences give you the opportunity to network with the Christian editors and agents you are hoping to connect with your work. Especially if you are writing a book--this is often the only way to get an invitation by the bigger pubs to send in your manuscript.

I'm heading out to Dallas' American Christian Writers Conference tomorrow and am really looking forward to meeting BruceJ and III! :D

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
I'm heading out to Dallas' American Christian Writers Conference tomorrow and am really looking forward to meeting BruceJ and III! :D

I'm hitting the road in about 3 hours! Since Bruce and I are both bringing guitars, I'd say there's a 50/50 chance we'll get kicked out of the hotel before the conference even starts, but I still like those odds.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Have fun, all. And be safe. Looks like a great schedule. If anybody has any car troubles...just call Jason. (-; Enjoy!

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have fun, all. And be safe. Looks like a great schedule. If anybody has any car troubles...just call Jason. (-; Enjoy!

Thanks, Kevin!

Though if I have car trouble, I can probably just walk the rest of the way. :D

(Travel safely, Bruce and Jay!)

sdent1

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.neverceese.com
How is a Christian Writer's conference differenty from a regulat writers conference?

Christian Writer's Conferences are usually run about the same as those that don't actually call themselves "Christian" Writer's conferences (where a writer who is a Christian will actually fare better IMO!)

The MAIN distinguishing feature is this; most of the editors, agents and publishers, I dare say nearly 75% of them if not more, are affiliated with CBA/ECPA.

Why should that matter?

Because the Christian Booksellers Association and the Evangelical Christian Publishers Association are a niche market inside the Christian Publishing Industry as a whole. They have conservative evangelical content guidelines that are difficult to write inside of. Their guidelines are so conservatie that the president of the ECPA once stated that some of their own members couldn't comply!

Writers who are Christians and write Fantasy, Sci-Fi and Horror(yes, this does exist) are often rejected hands down by ALL of the CBA/ECPA affiliated publishers, editors and agents because this type story doesn't fit the niche. Sadly, most never tell you why you're being rejected and seem content to let you think they're not a niche market.

Bascially, just do your homework. If you're going to a conference to pitch to an agent and you can manage to get some CBA/ECPA affiliated publisher to actually tell you what they will and won't accept AND you determine this is the kind of writing you want to do, then go for it! Picking up books written by CBA/ECPA affiliated authors will give you an idea if the publishers you talk to don't.

If you're simply going to glean some writing techniques and what not, you might do well. Just know that if the speaker is a CBA/ECPA affiliated publisher, author or editor the writing tips will be weighted in that direction.

I think it should be standard practice for a Writer's Conference to post information that let's authors know when over 75% of the editors, publishers and agents represented are from a niche market. CBA/ECPA is a very restrictive niche market.
Where is the balance?

Where are the editors, publishers and agents from the rest of the Christian Publishing Industry? The arguement that they might not exist doesn't justify not letting everyone know that the ones at your conference are mainly from a niche market.

Would every romance writer in the world got to a writer's conference put on by Harliquin(sp)? Only if they knew they liked the kind of books this niche market put out.

Everyone knows Harliquin is a niche market. Very, very, very, few know that CBA/ECPA is a niche.