Status
Not open for further replies.

windyrdg

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
capearagopress.com
I'm going to post this is both forums to see if I get a different response from one side or the other.
I'm in the final stages of a historical novel set in the first century. I've done a lot of research (Roman world, etc.) and uncovered what I think are some interesting and little known facts. I been thinking of writing a companion nonfiction book that covers life in the time period in which the novel takes place. In my mind's eye, I see the two shrink-wrapped and sold as a set. A great marketing tool for reading clubs, etc. The novel also creates credibility for the other, etc.

OK, you get the idea.

You can submit a nonfiction proposal with an outline, synopsis and one sample chapter. Pretty simple, really. I don't think the nonfiction book will have as much traction if I present it without the fiction one. So I'm going to be hustling the novel first. However, if I get an agent interested in the novel and then propose its nonfiction companion, they can't go to press together unless I really burn the midnight oil.

So-o-o, do I write the entire nonfiction thing not knowing whether there'll be interest in my novel, or wait until I snag an agent and take a chance?

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
It *might* be a great marketing idea but there are quite a few "ifs" lurking out there.

If you can get a sniff on the novel. If you can interest an agent/house in representing/pubbing both fic and non. If you can overcome the objections about significantly increasing the publisher's expenses. If Joe Reader wants to spend $40?...$50?...$60 on two books when only one might be of interest.

There are probably others that aren't occuring to me but that's enough math to convince me it's an unlikely project.

I'd focus on what's nearest and dearest to your heart and shop it as a standalone. The other may well sell on its own too. Maybe down the road, when you're famous, they'll be paired in a collector's edition. You never know.

johnrobison

A Free Range Aspergian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnrobison.com
I had the same ideas about a companion to my book. But my publisher and my agent showed me that a book good enough to be a companion should be good enough to stand on its own.

And that's where I'm at.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
In my experience trying to peddle both a finished novel and a non-fiction proposal, I find agents feel non-fiction is much easier to sell.

Since it's also easier to compile a proposal for non-fiction and a sizzling query letter, I would go that route. In between finishing your novel, put together a great non-fiction proposal, or even just a great non-fiction query.

Query both the fiction and non-fiction separately. I wouldn't even mention that you have two projects going. If you get someone really excited about one of them, you can figure out the right time to reveal the other.

But I agree that selling them both together in a book store would be tough.

Let's say, however, that you can sell the non-fiction; if it attains readers, you've got a ready made audience for your novel, when it comes out six months to a year later.

Status
Not open for further replies.