Script Readers

Rainy Night

INFJ
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rainynightproductions.com
Does anyone here have experience working as a script reader? Can you freelance as a reader, or do you have to live in Hollywood? How would you get started as a reader?

I’m curious yet interested in the sort of way a moth is attracted to a flame...

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
You can read remotely--most writers have an electronic version of scripts available these days. You'll probably start out doing it for free or very little. Check mandy.com and other screenwriting classifieds for frequent unpaid opportunity listings.

MasterRegal

Registered
Reaction score
Some small production companies offer internships which gives you the opportunity to read and cover scripts.

zagoraz

Registered
Reaction score
When I moved to LA in 2006 I knew no one and got an internship at a literary management company. That turned into an assistant job which afforded me the opportunity to read and cover many scripts. Though I no longer work there I continue to do freelance script reading for different management companies and prodcos.

It's pretty cool work if you can get it. Just know that the pay isn't that great unless you work at a studio. You'll generally get $50-75 per script which can take 4-6 hours to read and write coverage on. And that's after you've read and critiqued enough for free to get a paying gig. So if you're looking to get rich, I wouldn't recommend script reading. But if you want a crash course in how not to write a screenplay, by all means, seek it out.

Joe Calabrese

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.josephcalabrese.com
Treat it just as you would a script.

Start off small.

Try to get a reading job with competitions. Doesn't matter who or how much, just get the experience. Start with those comps you have entered in the past.

Then query production and management companies and tell them your a screenwriter with some experience in providing coverage.

Then when you've done your time, start looking for paying gigs.

Network, network, network...