• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

FinePrint Literary Management

Wesley Kang

the Light of Dawn
Registered
Reaction score
Completing my hat-trick of comments, I have jinxed myself as I recieved a rejection from Stephany Evans just now. Really gutted as I have no other irons in the fire for this novel. May have to give it up and go onto the next :0( Sigh.

Sorry to hear that. Best of luck to you.

flygal716

Jump in the way of good luck
Registered
Reaction score
Peter Rubie emailed me back promptly. He seems like a great literary agent, and I am sad to say he was not interested in my novel :( Best of luck to those who snag him.

I queried him on 7/7 and am still waiting to hear. He seems very good -- intelligent and sincere. I just found this recent interview with him online:

http://www.fictionaddiction.net/Interviews/literary-agent-peter-rubie-interview.html

Anyone else here querying or working with Peter Rubie and would like to share your thoughts on the process?

JanetReid

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Just a quick heads up to the AW community: I will be closed to queries from 8/1/11 to 9/30/11. I'm going to try VERY hard to get caught up on the backlog of queries, partials and fulls that are giving me a very hard stare for having ignored them lo, these many days/weeks/months.

Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

alohachild

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marycmoore.com
Equeried Suzie Townsend on August 12th, received form rejection the next day. Have a feeling she's looking for more YA than adult and not so much science fiction. On to Rachel Cohen... keep on keepin' on. I did send a query letter to Ms. Reid for comments via Query Shark, but it was not chosen to be posted. Now I'd like to query her when she opens up to queries again, but feel a little silly. What if my query was so bad she didn't want to bother? Has anyone done that? Does it matter?

eastcoastgal

compulsive overeditor
Registered
Reaction score
Prompt and courteous form rejection from Ms. Townsend one hour after querying. Professional and extremely efficient; can't beat that! :)

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I'm waiting to hear back on a query from Rachel Cohn-

Last edited:

byobrooks

innocuously dangerous
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fineprintlit.com
@ sheadakota & alohachild: Just a heads up, guys, if you are querying an agent at FinePrint named Rachel, her name is Rachel Coyne, not Cohn or Cohen!

Also, alohachild, regarding how Janet Reid selects queries for Query Shark, she chooses queries based on how well they illustrate a point she is trying to make (e.g., "This is a good example of what to do/not to do," etc.). If she didn't select your query for personal review, you shouldn't read anything critical into it.

Hope this helps!

-Brooks Sherman, FinePrint Literary Management

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I did send a query letter to Ms. Reid for comments via Query Shark, but it was not chosen to be posted. Now I'd like to query her when she opens up to queries again, but feel a little silly. What if my query was so bad she didn't want to bother? Has anyone done that? Does it matter?

She usually picks her victims for Query Shark based on whether the query is way off base, cringe worthy or totally clueless... or so spectacular she can't stop jumping up and down saying Yes! Yes!

If your query is so-so, okay for most, or even strong, it may not be chosen for the blog.

So, go ahead and send it -- well, when she reopens.

ETA: Oops, saw answer above. As you were...

Last edited:

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
@ sheadakota & alohachild: Just a heads up, guys, if you are querying an agent at FinePrint named Rachel, her name is Rachel Coyne, not Cohn or Cohen!

Also, alohachild, regarding how Janet Reid selects queries for Query Shark, she chooses queries based on how well they illustrate a point she is trying to make (e.g., "This is a good example of what to do/not to do," etc.). If she didn't select your query for personal review, you shouldn't read anything critical into it.

Hope this helps!

-Brooks Sherman, FinePrint Literary Management
Thank you for the heads up- I actually spelled her name right on the query- messed it up in the forums though- sorry-

alohachild

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marycmoore.com
Thanks for the advice guys. Does anyone know if Rachel Coyne is a non-responder?

(I also spelled it right on the query, just wrong on the forums, was also checking out Shana Cohen at the time and I have a minor form of dyslexia = cringe worthy moments. But it means I am extra extra careful on my queries!! :)

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Thanks for the advice guys. Does anyone know if Rachel Coyne is a non-responder?

(I also spelled it right on the query, just wrong on the forums, was also checking out Shana Cohen at the time and I have a minor form of dyslexia = cringe worthy moments. But it means I am extra extra careful on my queries!! :)

I believe she's a non-responder. I queried her in May and she hasn't responded. Same experience as a past query before she moved to Fineprint.

AshRose

Unofficial Expert on Angels
Registered
Reaction score
I submitted to Suzie Townsend and was sadly rejected, but I am subscribed to her blog and it has been very informative! I actually got some insight as to why I might have received the rejection, which is generally more than can be said for the standard reject letter. Ah! I've used the same word or variation three times in one paragraph :)

sztownsend81

Registered
Reaction score
Just a quick post for anyone who didn't see my announcement on twitter or my blog. I'm going on query hiatus September 1st. I will be closed at least for the month of September, possibly a little longer. I'll make another announcement when I figure out when I'm reopening.

biggerbrowneyes

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Queried Suzie and got a form rejection within 2 hours. Very fast and professional.

P.S. I have to agree with everyone who says she has an AWESOME blog.

sanssouci

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Suzie on the 19th and didn't get a response. Same thing happend to somebody else and they asked her about it on Twitter. She said that she's been responding to queries daily and that if you haven't gotten a response it means she didn't get it.

Curse you, internet! I knew no good could come from querying at 2am on a Friday.

I guess I'll wait until she reopens to queries next month.

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Suzie to get in before her hiatus. Quick, polite R. Queried Rachel the other day, so fingers crossed.

Transatlantic

Should be writing!
Registered
Reaction score
I got a request for a full (yay! My first! I almost fell over) from Stephany Evans on 17 Aug., two days after I queried. Will let you know when I hear back. :) (Not getting my hopes up though.)

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Glassfingers. I don't have any personal experience with querying Rachel Coyne, but two weeks is nothing to worry about. I know it's hard, but just wait it out a bit longer before nudging.

Angela

Named For a Song...
Registered
Reaction score
Is Suzie still closed to submissions? I haven't seen an announcement about her reopening, but I might have missed it. Thanks!