FAQ: How Do I Use My Astrolabe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Heck, I wrote an astrolabe into one of my novels a couple years back and transplanted it into two more books. I do know what it is for but there is so much more I'd like to. They are complex. I heard some governments banned them a while back. Does anyone know if that is true?

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Oh sweet, thanks for posting this. I saw one of these thingiemadoodles at the observatory a couple of weeks ago and, oddly enough, it was not labeled and had no explanation. I was wondering what the heck it was.

And yes, shame on me, I can read Ye Olde English as well. Thanks (?) to my freakish scary prof of medieval literature.

basilsands

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.basilsands.com
I think school kids should all be taught use those things. And general astral navigation (not astral projection, mind you). It gives both a good scope of the immensity of our universe and a really useful survival skill when the world as you know gets disrupted (ie, floods, hurricanes, etc.)

Royal Mercury

I think I am, therefore....
Registered
Reaction score
Weird. I read this FAQ a while ago and the other day, when we went to a museum, we saw an astrolabe. People looked at me funny when I told them how it worked.

It seems that people are surprised when you know anything. ;) I was at the National Zoo a few weeks ago. The family next to me was amazed when I could tell boy elephants from girl elephants.

frosteeman

A Writing Mochine
Registered
Reaction score
What the Hell. Gheeze Us H, Med. Your post is speaking in unknown tongues..simply put I must not know what he heck is an Astrolabe?

BlueCloud

Word Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbaraetlin.com
Thanks! Good to know in case I ever have an astrolabe. ;-)

Although it would be a little more useful in modern English.

Deleted member 42

þis Englisshe moderne yt ys uncouþe. Bettere þat ye lerne Latyn, yit þis tretise is bot naked wordes in Englissh.

Wot ye welle þa þe astrolabe ys greene for þy computir usseth excesse of powere yt þe astrolabe useþ nonne.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder what BabelFish would make of that?

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I don't recall seeing this thread before, but I recall a 1970s issue of Scientific American had a cover article on the astrolabe. You can't miss it. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.