Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken Warrior

Ahead of Your Time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teenebooks.com
Okay, as a reviewer/webmaster for independant ebook fan sites, I know most things about most epublishers. But as I'm just starting to shop my own novels around (mostly YA), I was wondering if all of you more experienced authors could give me the rundown on what you considered to be the very best POD and epublishers around, specifically ones currently accepting submissions.

I've heard fabulous things about Double Dragon, Mundania and Hard Shell Word Factory, but, surprise surprise, they're all closed to submissions and have been for quite some time.

Pretty much all the reputable epublishers that are currently accepting submissions either only do romance, or charge a fee for paperbacks.

I've talked to the folks at Books Unbound and they're very nice and quick to respond. They have good cover art, usually (now, more than before) and pay decent royalties, but I've read a few of their books and they seem to need some more editors.

DiskUs does kids books, and is also supposed to be good. But I rarely see their books off of their own homepage, which is SOO outdated, I would hesitate to refer anyone to go there to buy my book, if published.

Whenever I ask about good epublishers I'm reffered to Chippewa Publishing, but I have my doubts about them, as well. They only pay 40% on net (wheras some other epublishers pay %50 on gross) and if they turn their books into paperbacks with sales of over 200, how come they only have one paperback out? They also only accept novellas, essentially.

And while I'm asking all these questions, I may as well ask if anyone is willing/able to give me the hard-cold facts about average e-book sales over the term of a 3 year contract. 150 units? 300?

I like ebooks, in concept, and more and more (with developing technology) in practice. But among the good ebook publishers, it seems shocking how hard a market it is to break into.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Actually Chippewa is closed to anything over 25,000 words at the moment. I think they did accept novel length at one time, but now they're only doing novellas.

Zumaya does both e-books and print books, and they're open to subs at the moment, but reading for 2009, and they are a pretty long wait.
Samhain, which I just sold my YA to, just closed to subs until Fall, because they a) had a lot of subs and b) are hitting the road for convention season. But Samhain does everything e-book, and I think most also in paperback (and have distribution through Borders/Waldenbooks)

Most places I've seen give 40%, which isn't bad - actually you get more per copy than with the standard 10% trade paperback royalty. So that's not too bad.

I don't have any numbers about copies sold - mine with SP won't be out until next year. But my first book will soon be on FictionWise, so then I might be able to help you. FW claims to sell 40,000 books/month.

It's hard, yes, because most of the small guys are currently closed to subs. So many subs, and there's only a finite number of slots.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
If they're charging you, then they aren't a reputable e-publisher or POD of any sort. They are either just a printing service, like Lulu.com, or they've got some Ohio oceanside property to sell you.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to move this thread to the Self-publishing and e-publishing forum. I'm betting you'll get more helpful responses there.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Aseries of loosely related thoughts:

There are legit epubs charging for print, it's a dumb idea but it doesn't make them a scam.

Chippewa are not known for their YA but they do have some.

Hardshell are very interested in YA if you could somehow get to a con where they are taking pitches.

Samhain is also known mainly for romance but takes all genres and doesn't charge for POD which they currently offer for all titles--they are temporarilyclosed to subs but may be worth waiting for.

40% is entirely normal. A few percent more in royalties matters less than a few hundred more in sales--if they spend the difference garnering readership.

Chicken Warrior

Ahead of Your Time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teenebooks.com
Yeah, with the royalties I was talking more about the difference between net and gross than 40% and 50%, just because it makes me especially nervous when ebook publishers think they have to pay net.

I would like to find a publisher with a really 'family friendly' website and at least some YA focus, so I might just have to hold out for Hard Shell and hope for the best.

Thanks for the info, everyone, and especially to Christine – good luck with your upcoming book :)

Status
Not open for further replies.