Ain't that...rich?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
I noticed a door at the bottom of the hill two days ago. No, really. I live in a little shack (compared to the very expensive homes behind mine) and while I was making lunch I noticed a truck must have lost a door from a house. Not a nice door, mind you; one of those cheap 6-panel hardboard doors. I'm a carpenter so I could tell it was taken out of a house somewhere and the truck ferrying it to the dump must have lost it.

Anyway, someone moved it from the road and propped it against a tree, right near the small stream that meanders across my property. I wasn't worried about it though because if there's one thing I've learned about rich folk they'll take anything that isn't nailed down.

It's true. Today I heard a car door slam and looked out the window, just in time to see a woman in fine clothes and two nattily dressed kids parade across the mud, pick up the door, and stuff it into the trunk of their Mercedes. I smiled, but not because I was judging them on their frugality. I was just wondering if they knew that old dead tree the door had been propped up against was infested with carpenter ants.

Ah well.....they'll find out, soon enough. ;)

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Too funny, Thanks Rllg :)

Last edited:

Meerkat

Claims the loan was a gift
Registered
Reaction score
"site, place, position" --Roget's Thesaurus
"Mommy, that man scares me when he comes out of that shack," Connor croaked.

"Therre, there honey," she answered, "he has just lived here longer than we have, that's why his house looks that way. He comes and goes, and is probably a good man, inside that gruff exterior. Look, my dears, there's the door we were donating to Goodwill, but that fell off the trailer two days ago. And that thoughtful man propped it up so whoever lost it can find it! Come on Connor, come on, Madison, let's load it back up and get it to people who can use it as soon as possible...."

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
"Mommy, that man scares me when he comes out of that shack," Connor croaked.

"Therre, there honey," she answered, "he has just lived here longer than we have, that's why his house looks that way. He comes and goes, and is probably a good man, inside that gruff exterior. Look, my dears, there's the door we were donating to Goodwill, but that fell off the trailer two days ago. And that thoughtful man propped it up so whoever lost it can find it! Come on Connor, come on, Madison, let's load it back up and get it to people who can use it as soon as possible...."

There's another story about why I frighten those people, too, Meer. But when I settled out of court with the multi-million dollar company who tried to sneak off with part of my land (and the township government's hand was caught in there, too) I agreed not to divulge the details.

Ah, what a good book that would make. :D

Meerkat

Claims the loan was a gift
Registered
Reaction score
"site, place, position" --Roget's Thesaurus
Huh--more's the pity (no possibility of a book, I mean)....

But now the carpenter ants are my friends. You know, RT, it's a fine line between "humor" and "further, extensively calculated revenge undertaken with the help of a group of friends." A fine line, indeed.

We're hear for ya, Thunder....

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
:D I love it whenever people go garbage picking. I have a tank of Madagascar hissing cockroaches, and I put them to good use. I like to hide behind dumpsters, lets a few of them go wild, and afetr a little waiting, I always end up laughing my ass off whenever some lady starts freaking out because a 3 inch hissing cockroach just scaled up her skirt.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
'Garbage Picking' is such an unlovely term.

I prefer 'shopping'.
For example - 10 years ago my ex was driving through a very upscale neighborhood and saw kitchen cabinets being tossed out. 3 were still in the original boxes.

Why? Because the rich-ie who ordered them -custom- decided on a different decor for her kitchen.

They look great in mine.
Ditto the piano, bathroom cabinet, dining room table and chairs, living room chair, bookshelves and living room carpet.

But I always wonder about the stuff I throw out. Is it possible the rich folks are taking my trash and calling it 'antique?

(Hmmmmm are those.... ants?)

Anthony Ravenscroft

Scribble, scribble, scribble
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.crossquarter.com
I don't mind pickers, so long as they're respectful & don't make a mess, & I've picked more than a few gems myself.

But some just ain't smart. When "amnesty day" rolled around in my town -- that's when they'll take big stuff & even appliances for free -- I put out a broken down sofa had been soaked with pee by a pair of cats I was babysitting. No big thing, & I meant to toss it anyway. The weather was cool, so I guess it froze the pee, but don't you just know that sofa disappeared hours before the trash trucks came around...

My only hope is that they didn't discover their error, then dump it on someone else's property or in a drainage ditch. Likely that's a vain hope.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
That definitely should teach us all a lesson. Don't go thru RT's garbage or anything he's left by his tree. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.