Doctor Who (may contain SPOILERS for current episodes)

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Bumping up for the Christmas special, which was just shown on the West Coast of Canada on Space Channel. NO SPOILERS, haven't had more than a glimpse of the latest Doctor, but a really good episode IMHO!

ManInBlack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
williamsilvia.net
I'm not as much of a fan. Structural issues, character issues, and promises to deal with problematic issues that aren't really dealt with. The directing was good, though.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't in love with it. The Christmas element was nice when we finally got there, and the twist seemed so obvious to me because I expected it at the beginning. It seemed to take a long time to get anywhere, plotwise. The Captain got very little attention, just sort of was there for a majority of the episode, except for some fish out of water gags.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Well, here I go. I wasn't mad crazy about the episode; the antagonist didn't seem solidly evil or anything else much at all. But it was good enough to move onto the next doctor, and I liked the twist at the end.

As regards the female doctor, although I'm still not keen on the idea, I have accepted it on the basis that it was coming sooner or later. So lets give it a go and see what happens. Honestly speaking I'm more concerned about her costume - that's one of the more, um, distinctive examples of the doctor's attire.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Loved it, and I think she's going to be great.

I was told by a neckbeard I'm not a 'real' Whovian for thinking that.

What do I know? I've only been watching since episode 1 in '63 :)

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
I liked it for making some kind of sense of where Bill went at the end of the last season. The plot wasn't my favorite, but I enjoyed the banter and the First Doctor's un-PC-ness, so all in all, it was enjoyable. (But where are his companions? Weren't they in the TARDIS with him when he regenerated? Shouldn't they be in it now?)

Sad to see Capaldi go, but I'm looking forward to next season. Nice cliffhanger.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I enjoyed it. I suspect that Mark Gatiss' character was in there so they could use that event, but it was nice to hear that familiar family name again.

I'm looking forward to Jodie Whittaker's interpretation of the Doctor. Hope Chibnall and writers do justice to her.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Glad Moffatt is finally gone. I can start watching again. We watched the Christmas special because my son was home for Christmas and wanted to see it. It was amusing while reminding me why I quit on Moffatt. Like willie, I've been watching from the beginning (almost) and I've missed the show.

I remember liking Eccleston so much that when Tennant appeared I was prepared to hate him. Having learned that lesson, I'm quite willing to give the new Doctor a chance.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I remember liking Eccleston so much that when Tennant appeared I was prepared to hate him. Having learned that lesson, I'm quite willing to give the new Doctor a chance.
Much the same for me. Loved Eccleston and Tennant, but was prepared to give up in the Matt Smith days. I prefer my Doctors serious, rather than goofy.
I will give the new one a chance. It's not that I'm totally anti-female-Doctor, I'm just wary of the new characterization.
And it was nice to see the previous companions, and another bit of the Lethbridge-Stewart family.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Moffat HURT me as showrunner, so I'm VERY wary with Chibnall now (not Whittaker -- I want to be more open towards the actor given what they work with).

ManInBlack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
williamsilvia.net
(But where are his companions? Weren't they in the TARDIS with him when he regenerated? Shouldn't they be in it now?)
I actually rewatched the end of "The Tenth Planet" with the expectation of lambasting this in my podcast review. It turns out they left to get to the TARDIS at the same time, but by the time Ben and Polly walked in the door, the Doctor was already lying on the floor unconscious. There were a few lines cut between the Doctor saying he needed to get to the TARDIS and him walking out the door, but they were pretty minor and didn't affect the overall story.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I really enjoyed the episode! Minus a few Moffaty elements, but hey, at least he's gone now.

Really looking forward to our new Doctor. I'm heartbroken to lose Murray Gold, though, who's been providing a magical soundtrack for all the seasons and delivered some fantastic remixes in this episode (that Doomsday redux! MY HEART).

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
I actually rewatched the end of "The Tenth Planet" with the expectation of lambasting this in my podcast review. It turns out they left to get to the TARDIS at the same time, but by the time Ben and Polly walked in the door, the Doctor was already lying on the floor unconscious. There were a few lines cut between the Doctor saying he needed to get to the TARDIS and him walking out the door, but they were pretty minor and didn't affect the overall story.

Thanks! I only knew the scene from documentaries about the beginnings of Who-dom, so I wasn't sure but I thought I'd seen them in the room with him right before he collapsed. Must have remembered that wrong.

Last edited:

RedRajah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Funnily enough, one of my Xmas presents was a copy of "The Tenth Planet". Husband didn't know then why I was giggling.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Really looking forward to our new Doctor. I'm heartbroken to lose Murray Gold, though, who's been providing a magical soundtrack for all the seasons and delivered some fantastic remixes in this episode (that Doomsday redux! MY HEART).

I didn't know we were losing Murray Gold. :cry:

I have noticed that in Moffat's time, the episodes where a Doctor regenerates tend to recycle important songs through them. I distinctly remember "Four Knocks" during 11's last episode, but I remember there were others. "The Day of the Doctor" had a ton of recycled music, and that's part of why I was paying attention for 11's death. "Vale" was used in this last episode as well. And I'm all for recycling music throughout or using variations on a theme, but I'm a little sad that these songs that were specific to 10s death ended up being used for someone else's death too.

I'm also sad that we won't be getting another episode until fall. I was this close to hooking my dad. He came home last night from a trip, and we were talking about things to watch while it's just him and me, and naturally he expected an episode would air today, since one aired a week ago, and actually said he wanted to watch. I had to admit that usually the new season doesn't hit until Easter (and then I looked it up and it looks like fall).

RedRajah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net