First movie...

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
There's movies that would make me say, "Wow"?

Who'd have thought...

I don't think I've seen one yet.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
JAWS scared the shit out of me.

And I've always loved The Sound of Music for whatever sappy reasons.

But I believe it was watching Dr. Zhivago when I was only 7 or 8 years old that did it. Suddenly I felt like I was transported to a new world -- an adult world, no less -- and I was spellbound. I went through a really intense Dr. Zhivago phase: the music, the movie, the book, Julie Christie...

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Oh shit...I didn't think about JAWS. Absolutely my favorite movie of all time...but I don't think it made me go 'wow'. More like, 'damn, that was sweet!'

"We're gonna need a bigger boat." Best scene in the movie.

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
The first movie I remember was Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs at a drive-in with The Three Little Pigs as the lead 'toon. That and The Jungle Book, when I was about three. I was astonished at the huge screens. Especially the drive-in. That definitely had the Wow! factor. I also remember seeing Oliver! and marveling at the spectacle of the whole thing. I would have been about 4, which seems a little young to me. Visions of Bill Sikes haunted me for days.

And 2001: A Space Odyssey. I'm sure I didn't see that when it came out in 1968, because I'd've only been 4. Probably a rerelease when I was a little bit older. I had to have been 9 or 10.

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
JAWS scared the shit out of me.

And I've always loved The Sound of Music for whatever sappy reasons.

But I believe it was watching Dr. Zhivago when I was only 7 or 8 years old that did it. Suddenly I felt like I was transported to a new world -- an adult world, no less -- and I was spellbound. I went through a really intense Dr. Zhivago phase: the music, the movie, the book, Julie Christie...

I agree. I wowed at The Sound of Music and Dr. Zhivago!

But remember The Exorcist? There was a lot of wow, nauseated stomachs, neck hairs raised, and nightmares for some with that one!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Oh yeah, as a very young kid I was mesmerized by Walt Disney's Sleeping Beauty. It was the most beautiful pictures, and the dragon scenes were fantastic. But I was really way too young to understand, until I was much older.

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah, as a very young kid I was mesmerized by Walt Disney's Sleeping Beauty. It was the most beautiful pictures, and the dragon scenes were fantastic. But I was really way too young to understand, until I was much older.

Me, too. Not sure when I saw that first. Whatever year they recycled it, maybe 1974? Probably earlier. It's still one of my favorites.

CheshireCat

Mostly purring. Mostly.
Registered
Reaction score
The Sound of Music was the first to open my eyes to the pleasures of a huge screen and great sound system.

But the WOW! movies were probably the ones anybody else growing up in the 70s would be likely to name.

The Godfather.

Jaws. (I still can't swim in the ocean.)

Star Wars. (Oh ... wow ... that's what a movie can be?)

:popcorn:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I was fortunate to see the movie "Airplane!" in a theater. Okay, so it wasn't Star Wars, but follow me on this... it wasn't "The Big Screen" that made it so special, it was the scene when the pilot was running through the terminal, and was PUNCHING OUT every Hare Krishna (who remembers the '70's, when they were in every airport terminal?) that was approaching him with literature or soliciting donations The theater audience STOOD UP AND CHEERED.:hooray::hooray::hooray:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Beauty & the Beast.

My sister & I saw it five times in the theater & loved it every time.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
A special showing of the classic Sci-Fi epic,

FORBIDDEN PLANET

at the Glasgow Film Theatre in... 1979.

WOW! is insufficient.

-Derek

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh shit...I didn't think about JAWS. Absolutely my favorite movie of all time...but I don't think it made me go 'wow'. More like, 'damn, that was sweet!'

"We're gonna need a bigger boat." Best scene in the movie.

Oh Kris--tie--

dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun--da da da--- SHARK!

I also love Jaws. When I saw it in the theatre my younger sister was sitting in front of me and the place was pitch black. (it was single seating only because we got there so late) She didn't even know I was right behind her. Apparently, as she tells it, I tapped her on the shoulder at a very scary part of the movie and she jumped a mile!

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
The first one...?

Fantasia, by Disney. To this day, "Night on Bald Mountain" is one of my favorite pieces of music, and I still adore the image of Czernobog atop the mountain.

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, good question!

The Dark Crystal

Writing Jedi

Registered
Reaction score
Oh definitely Star Wars. I was dragged in against my will and within minutes I was blown away and when it ended I left the theatre on a
giddy high that comes back each time I so much as hear that theme music.

Wow indeed.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Star Wars.

But I also loved Raiders of the Lost Ark. The Runnymede Theatre across the street from my sister's apartment showed the movie for about two years straight, and still got customers. We'd often sit around in her apartment and ask, "What should we do tonight? Hey, let's go watch Raiders."

It was a cheap form of entertainment back in the eighties. Sometimes we were the only ones in the theatre.

Once, my sister re-enacted the scene where the guy gets run over by the truck. She flopped sideways in her seat and all the patrons saw was a silhouette of her arms and lets flapping away. Ah, good times.

A very early Big Screen experience was when I was five years old at the drive-in. The Nutty Professor. The scene where he drinks the formula and falls on the floor with all the coloured liquid spilling all around him. Well, it really freaked me out.

I didn't realize until years later what a dark movie that really was. Buddy was a real asshole.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Empire Strikes Back. I didn't see it in the theater, or at least I don't remember it if I did (too young), but I remember loving Star Wars as a series, growing up. We had Empire on VHS and I remember it being the 1st movie that I can remember watching over and over and over again and never getting tired of it.

In fact, I just might watch it again right now...

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I also love Jaws. When I saw it in the theatre my younger sister was sitting in front of me and the place was pitch black.

I was never fortunate enough to see it in the theatre because it came out right around the time I was born.

Doesn't matter...it's still my favorite movie! :)

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The first movie that ever did that was the first movie I ever saw...Mary Poppins. I was totally wowed. It's still one of my all-time favorite movies.