Mark Wahlberg "Shooter" (Rolls Eyes)

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
What is Hollywood's and I'm guessing America's fascination with pansies playing these kinds of rolls? My 12 year old daughter could kick Mark Wahlbergs ass. Tell me please who can believe in the Mark Wahlbergs, Tom Cruises, Pierce Brosnans, Brad Pitts, and the list goes on and on. I don't want to see a movie where someone is in this kind of roll whose ass I can kick much less a 12 year old girl.

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoy Wahlberg's performances a great deal. Loved his character in The Departed.

I've not seen The Departed. I canceled my NetFlix subscription to free up time to write. I've no idea if the guy can act or not, it's his demeanor that is bothersome. Maybe it was just the show I saw him on (some awards show). He acted fairly effeminately and looked like he weighed about 90 lbs.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
"pansies"? :ROFL:

It's either the Mark Wahlbergs and Tom Cruises, or it's the Vin Diesels and Dwayne Johnsons. Take yer pick. Me, I'm happy with Dirk Diggler, he's proved he can act, and act tough when needed.

Achilles would'a made you weeds his bitches.

-Derek

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
"or it's the Vin Diesels and Dwayne Johnsons. Take yer pick.

Yeah, that's the other extreme. I don't want them playing the role either. You should be able to speak English if starring in a movie to be shown in America and that rules them out.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Achilles would'a made you weeds his bitches.
The "maniac leap and lightning stab to the neck" has got to be the all-time weeniest attempt at creating a "cool killing move" that has ever been put on film. I laughed so hard when I saw it, I fell out of my seat. I know that's not really Brad's fault, but still...

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
The "maniac leap and lightning stab to the neck" has got to be the all-time weeniest attempt at creating a "cool killing move" that has ever been put on film. I laughed so hard when I saw it, I fell out of my seat. I know that's not really Brad's fault, but still...

I don't think anyone is short enough that Brad could stab standing flat footed.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Mark Wahlberg will always be Marky Mark to me. As much as I like a lot of his movies, I still see him leaping around in his underwear, third nipple on display, and rapping about some rubbish or another.

But he was totally fab in The Departed.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Yeah, that's the other extreme. I don't want them playing the role either. You should be able to speak English if starring in a movie to be shown in America and that rules them out.
Oh, be fair. I don't know who Dwayne Johnson is, but I've seen an interview with Vin Diesel, and he's an articulate and smart fellow.

I think Wahlberg could do well in a variety of roles. He seems to know what he's doing.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
No, it was an older interview. (Maybe he had too much coffee that day. I think that interviewer needs a new day job.)I didn't see that movie yet either, but the trailer looked funny.
(Oh, The Rock, gotcha).

Tom Cruise, that's a whole other story. I think he has an exceedingly average intellect and no clue whatsoever how to use it. When election for The Chosen One comes up, I'll vote for KTC hands down.

Last edited:

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
Dwayne Johnson, aka "The Rock."

To be fair, he's not a dummy, at all. Of course no one can compare to the genius that is Tom Cruise, but that just goes without saying...

I don't know who Dwayne is either. That he allows himself to be called "The Rock" speaks volumes though. I'm so snobby aren't I?

Tom is without a doubt one of the dumbest people on the globe. When he holds the cans at his Scientology meetings they must send some juice through them.

Why can't actors just entertain and then stfu?

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I don't know who Dwayne is either. That he allows himself to be called "The Rock" speaks volumes though. I'm so snobby aren't I?

Yeah. Snobby.

Dwayne Johnson was a former wrestler in the WWE until he went into the movies. He's done "Scorpion King," "Run Down," a remake of "Walking Tall," and "Doom" among others. And it looks like he's going to be Agent 23 in the 2008 release of "Get Smart." (Oh, gawd! Steve Carell is going to be Maxwell Smart! Can't they just leave my childhood alone?)

Cav Guy

Living in the backstory
Registered
Reaction score
What is Hollywood's and I'm guessing America's fascination with pansies playing these kinds of rolls? My 12 year old daughter could kick Mark Wahlbergs ass. Tell me please who can believe in the Mark Wahlbergs, Tom Cruises, Pierce Brosnans, Brad Pitts, and the list goes on and on. I don't want to see a movie where someone is in this kind of roll whose ass I can kick much less a 12 year old girl.
Have you read the book "Shooter"'s based on? If you had, you'd see that Wahlberg is actually a pretty good fit for the role. Not as old as Swagger's supposed to be, but still a pretty good fit, IMO.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
:e2fight: I didn't see that remake of Walking Tall. The original was just way too good to be toyed with. (Yay Joe Don Baker!)
Well, it wasn't the original story. This was the story of a soldier returning home to find his town overrun by crime and corruption. It was remake in name only. Typical Rock action fare.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
No, I liked it. It showed from the get-go that Achilles possessed superhuman attributes without needlessly getting mired in the legend (son of a sea goddess, etc.*). Achilles' fearless charge culminating in the single surgical artery-slashing downward stroke that laid out the giant Boagrius was more effective than anything I'd seen before. I don't understand your reaction but that's OK, we're all different.

* In a previous TROY discussion someone mentioned that another audience member's girlfriend leaned closed and asked how come getting hit by an arrow in the heel had such an effect on Achilles, which is the downside to not repeating the legend. :)

-Derek