I've got quite a few in different places and times (some subject to change):

Bristol, England and Kingston, Jamaica - 1721

Nottinghamshire - 1193

Hong Kong (and possibly Korea or Taiwan) - 1979

New York (may change to Chicago) - 1905

sportourer1

Registered
Reaction score
Its a sequel so has to be just post 1883 London. Unfortunately 1884 -1890 seems to be the quietest period in European history other than the Irish question as ever.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Usually, I do sci-fi or fantasy, but I have one novel that's set in 1881-1882 (France). I'm also toying with the idea of a time-travel novel that's set during WWII, but I haven't worked out the details yet.

djunamod

Registered
Reaction score
Nice thread. My WIP is set in 1902 in California. More specifically, it is set in a fictitious town somewhere between San Francisco and Sacramento.

Djuna

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately 1884 -1890 seems to be the quietest period in European history other than the Irish question as ever.

Unless you're in 1888 London, specifically Whitechapel (though the Ripper is rather overdone).

Last edited:

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
There seems to be a lot of England in the late 1800s going on in this thread!

I'm taking a bit of a break from historical fiction, but when I return to it, I'm going to be writing another Civil War story or possibly a lighter romance set just after the American Revolution.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Fall 1931-Spring 1932 - Chicago, IL (And Cleveland, OH for a stretch there, too!)

I'm intrigued. I was a Clevelander for most of my adult life and now I'm a Chicagoan.

MattD

Registered
Reaction score
That may be the most depressing thing I've read for long (that and a kid saying to me that Jurassic Park is an old movie...). Utterly truthful though; 90s are officially history. I'll weep and mourn for a week ! ...

I am polishing the second draft of my novel set in 1994 and 1946 and came here (as a newbie) to see if '94 could be considered history. I chose it as the tail end of the 6,000-year analogue era of civilisation when we still visited reference libraries, used telephone directories and, by default, met up with people face to face instead of skype or IM. Thanks to all for your comments.

oceanwriter

Registered
Reaction score
I have three historical projects going:

1944-1945 - Maine, USA

1858 - Grand Turk

1971 - Vermont and Ohio, USA

Norman Mjadwesch

vacuous eyes, will bark at shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Germany, 1st century AD. DIE ROMANS DIE!! (Yes, another take on the Teutoburg Forest, I didn’t mean to but it became too powerful to resist - I was drawn to an unusual viewpoint and am well into it, more than half done now.)

DMakinson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sharpedit.weebly.com
London and Ireland 1508-1601, give or take.
Grounded in real people, real events, embellished with my own characters and a liberal dose of witchraft. I know - you don't believe in witches.

They did.

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
My book coming out in September is set in the colony of New South Wales (Australia) in 1885. I'm currently finishing the second and third books in the trilogy, set 1887-88 and 1888-89. Australia wasn't even a country back then.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
London and Ireland 1508-1601, give or take.
Grounded in real people, real events, embellished with my own characters and a liberal dose of witchraft. I know - you don't believe in witches.

They did.

Have you read Neal Stephenson and Nicole Galland's The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O.? It has a cute take on witchcraft in the same time and place (among other times and places).

And to you and others who are relatively new to AW - please come hang out with us in the Historical Writing area of the Share Your Work forum (password vista).

Me - I am still stuck in NYC ca.1950. Even with the novel fairly stalled out, I'm working on a short story there. Truthfully can't imagine writing in a different historical era; the amount of research it takes to be comfortable writing in one era is staggering enough!

:e2coffee:

pingle

Registered
Reaction score
55 - 45 BCE

With stop offs in Britain, France, Italy and Greece. No wonder I can't get the word count down :Shrug:

willgraham

Registered
Reaction score
my current project is set in the outskirts of london in 1840-1841 :+)