Commonly misused words: grumble here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat Scratch

The Peacock Next Door
Registered
Reaction score
I want to tear my eyes out and peel and boil them when people use the word "tangent" to mean "tantrum." It happens most often on message boards. People will write "My husband came home and went off on a little tangent because my car leaked oil in the driveway." I want to say "Really? What was he talking about before he noticed the oil? Did he ever get back on topic?"

Not on this message board, of course. We're all good little grammarians. (insert smiley emoticon here, which I won't, because emoticons generally frighten me)

Last edited:

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
The two I misuse all the time: then and than. It drives me nuts, but I still use them because… I can? I like punishing myself? I’m indirectly trying to learn?

I haven't figured out the why.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dragged and drug.

I hear "He drug her body to the shallow grave," or some such thing. No, he dragged her. He could have drugged her before he dragged her. Or given her a drug before he dragged her.

Reaction score
...Which reminds me, 'jamp' for 'jumped'.

No, you cannot say "I jamp across the puddle." Idiot.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Must be a Scottish thing.

Who's instead of whose.

Its'

loose instead of lose

momentarily instead of soon

On the other hand, I'm kind of fond of "It's a whole nother". A girl has to be inconsistent now and again to keep up the charm quotient. I know, I know, I won't ever use it in writing unless it's dialogue.

Reaction score
Oh good god, yes. The amount of times I've heard, "Look after your purse, you might loss it." GAH!

Also, in Dundee, there's a habit of saying 'how' for 'why'...short for how come, I guess.

"I went to the shops."

"How?"

"By walking."

"No, I mean how?"

"Oh, you mean why did I go to the shops?"

"Yeah, that's what I said. How did you go?"

Deleted member 42

I just about foam at the mouth on planes when a member of the flight crew says that "we'll be touching down momentarily," which, when you're traveling with a spouse who dislikes flying intensely, is enough to induce panic at the thought of a Boeing jet doing touch-and-gos.

I'm still upset at the American Heritage Dictionary's caving in regarding compose and comprise, and don't get me started on "impacted."

Deleted member 42

I just now heard, on the radio, someone indicating that they preferred "expresso" coffee.

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
"Begs the question" is more and more used (incorrectly) for "raises the question."

Another one that's gaining in popularity, I fear, is "amplify," used to mean "expand on" or "explain."

The one that makes me most insane, though, is my local mayor (and his henchmen who've picked up the misuse) who frequently requests a motion to "revert from" the regular order of business, instead of "divert from."

JD

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Expresso, as in "I really need this coffee now?"

Heh. People say that around here all the time. Right along with "ain't."

But then, we mountaineers were never accustomed to high-class coffees! This place is Starbucks-deficient, whether that be a good or a bad thing.

And what're them lah-tays y'all keep talking about? Are they made with expressos?

I like my milk coffee-flavored. No espresso, thanks.

Deleted member 42

I can't say I've ever had expresso; it's not allowed at the libary where I do a lot of my work.

Cat Scratch

The Peacock Next Door
Registered
Reaction score
This may be a regional thing, but my inlaws are extremely lax in their use of the word "whenever." They use it to mean when. As in "Whenever Uncle Mark came home from work yesterday, he brought that cake." I picture Uncle Mark coming home from work repeatedly, carrying the same cake.

Cat Scratch

The Peacock Next Door
Registered
Reaction score
Did anyone catch on American Idol last week when Diana Ross kept instructing the kids to pronunciate? Certainly she's no word-smith, but you'd think after 40 years in the biz someone would have corrected her...

Cat Scratch

The Peacock Next Door
Registered
Reaction score
Often happens in business settings--copious misuse of term "myself." I think people think it's correct because it sounds smarter, bur there's nothing correct about "Quarterly sales reports should be e-mailed to Suzie and myself by noon tomorrow." What? You're going to e-mail the reports to yourself?

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
This thread reminds me of when people order a "jyro" in a Greek restaurant. I tried to correct a friend once, and he said, "A Hero? I don't want a sandwich. I ordered a jyro."

Status
Not open for further replies.