AW is an Amazon Affiliate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Do you think we're reading too much...

Threaded View

Do you think we're reading too much...

and overanalyzing too much?

A year or so ago, when I was deep in the middle of my second draft, I picked up every writing book imaginable and tried to apply every bit of advice I could to my manuscript. I came here and asked questions and took the advice and tried to apply it to my manuscript. After a while I put down the books and quit coming here. Why? I was so bogged down with information that I felt weakened under the weight of all of it.

So, I've been lurking on a few threads lately and I've been seeing something like this: "This agent said do this." "This agent said don't do that." And so on. Do you think maybe we're reading way too much, over-analyzing it way too much, and then getting burdened by all of that conflicting information? I mean, when do you say enough already and just have confidence in what you have, what you're doing, and who you are that you just go ahead and do it despite all of that? Does that make sense?
    Last edited by Azure Skye; 04-09-2007 at 06:17 AM. Reason: because I'm tired and my ass hurts and when that happens I forget words.