Are you smarter....

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
Are you smarter than a 5th grader? Have you seen this show hosted by Jeff Foxworthy? I haven't watched them all - I don't think it's been on long, but I did happen to watch it earlier while hanging out with my little 4 month old girl and I was rather surprised at how little some of these adults knew/remembered.

One of the questions was basically....If you cross the northern border of the United States what country would you be entering?

The person was not sure of the answer and had to ask the 5th grader for help. Seriously. I did not realize this was such a difficult question.

Or is it?

Just curious....

:)

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I watched this the first night it aired. I was a bit disappointed, too much lead-in to each question. And yes, the answers seemed beyond simple. The girl I saw missed a Geography q;
What country shares the longest border with the U.S.
I think she bailed out but her guess would have been Mexico.
huh?

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
Tonight someone didn't get:

Which state is the farthest west? Alaska, California, or Nevada.

The comments made were....I know Alaska is north and California and Nevada are west, so I pick California.

You know....states can be both North AND West at the same time! :)

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I auditioned for this, and was told flat out by the PA that he thought I was too smart for the show. :(

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I've watched a few episodes, only because my 5th Grader wanted to watch it. There have been several questions I didn't know the answer to. I can't recall them now, but honestly, it's been 39 years since I was a 5th grader. I'm not going recall what the Periodic Symbol for some obscure metal is.

I also missed the "How many states border the Pacific ocean." The lady said 3 and so did I. I was thinking continental U.S. and forgot about Alaska and Hawaii.

But as far as the show itself, I can't stand Jeff Foxworthy, have never thought he was funny and it just strikes me as a ripoff of "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire." I'm surprised its the top hit show. Are we that desperate for entertainement?

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've only seen one ep, last week, and I admit there were questions I wasn't confident about the answers to. At first I felt like an idiot, but then it dawned on me: These are facts and tidbits that take up valuable brain space that have to be dumped for REAL facts and tidbits we need later on in life.

It's like feeling stupid for not knowing who won Miss America in 1972.

I thought it would be a cute show, maybe funny - maybe challenging for some people. Now after seeing it, I'm just annoyed.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
My favorite bit of the show is watching Jeff Foxworthy insult these contestants. I like the idea of belittling game show contestants.

I've watched it a couple times, and am relieved to know that for the most part, I'm as smart as a fifth grader. The only questions I go to crap on are the math ones, and then my wife can do those. Unless they're questions like "how many sides to a rhodendron" and then I can use them fancy language skills of mine to answer.

I still prefer Deal or No Deal. But that's because Howie Mandell is a god.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Our daughter is seeing a bartender, so they can 'date' while he's working. (Plus she drinks for free, woo-hoo!) This show is on at the bar every week. The customers love it.

She had to learn fast to keep her mouth shut during this show, because she's way smarter than a 5th grader--and any of the bar's regular patrons. It's bad for business when that quiet girl the bartender talks to announces the correct answer every single time, I guess.

Maryn, who's forgotten more than a fifth grader has learned

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I......er.......wrote some good stories in fifth grade.

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
I......er.......wrote some good stories in fifth grade.

Me too. :)

In the vein of new game shows, I was sad to see 1 vs 100 go - I enjoyed that one. Idenity is okay, but I get tired of all the prolonged waiting (on most of these shows actually) as to whether the people have the right answer or not. Ex: Cut to contestant pleading to be right, cut to 'stranger' standing there with smirk, cut to Penn, cut to contestant again dancing around waiting to know the answer, cut to 'stranger' still standing there looking smug, cut to contestant, Penn, 'stranger', contestant, back and forth and FINALLY the answer. Just get on with the show already! LOL

Take care --