Cover of T. Kingfisher's Paladin's Grace

AW is an Amazon Affiliate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

online thriller school

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: This is nothing like an official FAQ

Threaded View

Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar
    Q. Is it true that I have to have my manuscript "professionally edited" before I can submit it to a publisher?

A. No. And furthermore, anyone who tells you so is either clueless or a scammer. Don't listen to them.

Why do so many fake agents and other scammers spread the "professionally edited manuscript" meme? The biggest reason is that they want to refer you to a crony of theirs who'll do an expensive (and often not particularly good) job of "editing" your manuscript, pay the scammer a kickback for steering you their way, and hand you back to that scammer afterward for further plucking.

Thanks to the internet, more and more writers are becoming aware that it's improper for an agent to require that they pay for their services. Scam agents sure aren't making their money via commissions on works they sell. Gouging would-be authors via the "professionally edited manuscript" scam is one of the more viable remaining ways they can make money off you.

One other proof that this isn't a requirement: look at publishers' guidelines. Do they say your manscript has to be "professionally edited"? They do not. In fact, very few of them say it has to be edited at all. All it has to be is good.
    Last edited by James D. Macdonald; 08-09-2009 at 05:03 PM.
    Winner of the Best Drycleaner on the Block Award.