Pagan Markets

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Please post here with information about Pagan Markets and any details you may have about them.

Thanks!

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Twilight Manor Press

I just stumbled on it and I haven't researched very much. Something to check out, at least.

Edited: Never mind. They were listed as pagan, but turned out to be fantasy based.

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score
Disa, wow, thanks for the great list! The Green Wolf is a very handy page, and I've bookmarked it. I'm not really up on fiction markets, so I don't have an answer for your question, although possibly the fantasy markets would be an option, like Realms of Fantasy.

Christabel_Roseau

Writing like crazy-7 starts!
Registered
Reaction score
The is also

We'moon
www.wemoon.ws
A publishing house that accepts personal stories/vignettes, artwork etc as it relates to all things women. The last deadlines for next years calendar are past (I think) but still a lovely little publication.

mariedees

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

Keep in mind that if you are looking for fiction markets, you'll find that many publishers will consider work with a Pagan theme, even if the publisher isn't specifically Pagan. You'd be surprised how many Pagans are scattered throughout the small press industry.

Check out this blog and look at the book list and you'll find we're published by a number of publishers who aren't specifically Pagan.
http://thepaganandthepen.wordpress.com/

copperbeech

hienama
Registered
Reaction score
Very true, mariedees. I find that it's another story with agents, though. Finding one(s) who are pagan or pagan-friendly, and understand magickal practices, energy work, or specifically, modern uses of shamanism... Not an easy task.

mariedees

Registered
Reaction score
I've chatted with agents at conferences and found that most who work with fantasy, fantasy romance, erotic romance and similar genres have no problem working with Pagan clients. Many will mention an author or two that they already represent who is Pagan or Wiccan. I think what you may be seeing is that regardless of their feelings about Paganism, they will still choose to represent authors and books based on what sells in the market. If a fiction work with a Pagan theme can appeal to a wider market, the chances of selling it increases greatly because the number of buyers has increased.

An agent's job isn't really to understand magical workings but to know if any of the big markets out there are currently interested in publishing books featuring it as a topic. If the publisher's interest isn't there, they can't sell the book. It doesn't just happen with Pagan topics. I've had agents tell me they weren't interested in seeing my mystery novels because those aren't selling and ask if I have romance or can make the mysteries into romantic suspense because those sell better.

A similar thing happens with Pagan non-fiction. If the largest publisher is Llewellyn and there isn't much competition in the market as far as advances offered for books, agents aren't going to be interested. Because they just aren't going to make money from representing the book. Understanding magical workings won't change that.