My Thoughts On the PA Issue

D James

I realize that this post will most likely be deleted as I'm really not supposed to be posting here.
I would like, for the record, just to say a few things.

This whole experience has been educational. Not just in book publishing, but also in what can happen to individuals who mean well but let pride and vanity get in the way of their really doing anything helpful. Paint even the nicest guy into a corner and you will see teeth. Hopefully even the seasoned pros will one day see this.

It's been good to have time away from such issues. I think Granny expressed it best when she called the tactics a PETA-like attitude (or something to that effect).

I, for one, have moved on. Life is great. The writing career is great. I am no longer a "PA author" as I have been labelled. That part of my life, my career, is behind me. All I will say is this: Thank God.

As for anyone who has (or is planning to) publish with this company, learn from my experience. Stay out of this fray until your book has been out for at least a year. In fact, stay out of these squabbles period and spend the time writing. The next publisher won't care about your PA book, but s/he will care what you're doing now.

Jenna, sorry for the ... well, just sorry. You're a good egg and mean well. Just remember there's more going on beneath the surface than you might be aware.

Victoria, Dave and Ann, learn from Jim. His level-headed demeanour could boost your position so that even the most stalwart cheerleaders might listen to you. Your hearts are in the right place, now you just need to get your minds there.

Jim, thanks. Period. I learned a lot from you and it's much appreciated. Sorry for the attitude.

To everyone else here with whom I've had brief encounters, best of luck to you.

D. James

DaveKuzminski

You are no longer "Dodgem" James. As far as I'm concerned, pick something suitable and join in because I know you have valuable information to share.

James D Macdonald

Heya, Canada! Why not come join me up in the Novels board?

Ed Williams 3

James, I was....

...hard and condescending to you more than once, and for that I apologize. It is good to have you here, I've always thought you were intelligent and expressed yourself well, and I look forward to your future contributions.

Welcome...

D James

Maybe another time, Jim.

Right now I'm pretty busy rewriting a novel with a May 2005 release date.

DaveKuzminski

PA's weaknesses

Basically, PA has several weaknesses which haven't been exploited yet. One, in particular, can hurt them grieviously without taking them to court or proving anything against them. In fact, using this particular weakness against them might actually cause PA to change some of their behavior.

Every writer who dislikes what PA is doing should look in their trunks for partial manuscripts, old novels that were unpublishable, or even short stories that can be used in a collection to be published. Submit it to PA using an assumed name and address so PA won't recognize who you are. Also, this will keep PA from benefitting on any name recognition you might have.

When PA accepts the submission for publication, sign and go along with whatever editing they do. When you receive the two copies of your book, you'll then have evidence of their whole process. Also, you'll have the satisfaction of watching them spend money on your "book" that you and no one else will buy because you already know not to purchase any. Additionally, by becoming a stealth PA author, you'll be allowed access to both their public and private boards and given their emails.

Eventually, if enough authors join in this effort, PA will collapse from its own weight and inability to sell OR it will change to do real acceptance reviews, real editing of what it accepts, and attempt to place its books in bookstores by changing its non-return policy and prices.

NicoleJLeBoeuf

Re: PA's weaknesses

Submit it to PA using an assumed name and address so PA won't recognize who you are. Also, this will keep PA from benefitting on any name recognition you might have.

When PA accepts the submission for publication, sign and go along with whatever editing they do. When you receive the two copies of your book, you'll then have evidence of their whole process.
{DISCLAIMER}I promise I'm not trying to be a smartass here.{/DISCLAIMER}

If you use an assumed address, how will you receive their acceptance letter?

(Or did you mean, use an assumed email address, whose inbox you nevertheless are checking?)

After hearing a heck of a lot about PA and other scammy scam-scams, your idea tickles my funny bone.

DaveKuzminski

Re: PA's weaknesses

Yes, by assumed address, I mean an email address. As far as any mailing address, unless you live out in the boonies and the nearest neighbor is miles away, you should be on good enough terms with a next door neighbor to use their address as the drop. You don't want to use yours since someone might be smart enough to do a reverse search on the address to see who lives at the address you give. You can always give an excuse of one sort or another if they ask why your name isn't listed because they did do a reverse address search. I won't suggest any excuses since that would only give PA something to watch for in any correspondence, so be creative.

A real good alternative, of course, would be to use the address of a close relative with a different last name. Then you could use their last name as the author name in any correspondence along with their mailing address in which case you can let them in on what's happening so they can enjoy a laugh with you at PA. So, if you're Jim Smith and your relative is Grace Jones, you could use your own first name with the surname of Jones to get Jim Jones. That would then tip off your relatives that it's mail meant for you so they won't throw your dollar or finished/published books away.