Followup query help

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I'm planning on chasing a submission I sent in mid-November and need to know the best way to do this. The submission came from a full request after a partial which is obviously a good start. With the followup, do I give a brief synopsis of the book in the letter to refresh their memory or just re-introduce myself and ask if they have any thoughts on the book?

Big thanks in advance.

KCH

Registered
Reaction score
Agents typically track their requests for submissions, so just identify yourself, give title of ms., and the dates of query, partial and full submissions.

A short, polite note inquiring about status is all that's needed.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Cheers. The thing that worries me is I don't have a contact name. The request for the full ms said to send it to their submissions dept. For all I know the person who requested it won't get my letter but I still have to chase it.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
One of the easiest things to do is ask them to confirm receipt of the manuscript.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
One possibility: send a cover letter with basic identifying information & the status request, and enclose a copy of their correspondence (letter/email) requesting the full.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Thanks, all. I'll send a copy of the request with my letter and hope I hear something soon. :)

Nathan Bransford

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nathanbransford.blogspot.com
Thanks, all. I'll send a copy of the request with my letter and hope I hear something soon. :)

This sounds like a great plan.

Also, in these types of situations, don't call. A follow up e-mail (if the correspondence was via e-mail) or through the post is much more polite to the agent, and therefore much more effective.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
This sounds like a great plan.

Also, in these types of situations, don't call. A follow up e-mail (if the correspondence was via e-mail) or through the post is much more polite to the agent, and therefore much more effective.

Is it always wrong to call?
In the face of unanswered letters and e-mails, what else is one to do?

Big difference between US and UK agents - UK agents do not have any big objection to being called in my experience.

Nathan Bransford

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nathanbransford.blogspot.com
Is it always wrong to call?
In the face of unanswered letters and e-mails, what else is one to do?

Big difference between US and UK agents - UK agents do not have any big objection to being called in my experience.

Yes, that may be a difference between US and UK there, because all of the agents I know in the US really prefer not to be called for a follow up -- e-mail and the post is preferred.

If your letters and e-mails are being unanswered for a long time I'd say you have your answer. It's not the most friendly system, but for very busy agents sometimes things fall through the cracks.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I'd consider calling if I had a name and this had been going on for six months or so, but as all the contact I've had has been through the post, I'll stick to that and cross my fingers.

jonereb

Registered
Reaction score
After sending a query, I had a request for a proposal. Two months later, I have not heard from the agent. I sent a short email. He responded saying he received it and would get to it, but he had a total of 200 he was considering. I'm not getting my hopes too high on this one.