Ask Nathan Bransford! Guest agent from 02/07 - 12/09!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlenee

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats!

Hi Nathan,

I've been reading your responses here and decided to go to the last page to see if you're still here. I can't believe that you are...and politely answering questions to boot! You are a saint. I'm only on page 20 and wanted to read everything. Otherwise, I'd end up asking you something you've already answered dozens of times. ;)

I don't have a question yet, but I wanted to congratulate you on your novel, JACOB WONDERBAR AND THE COSMIC SPACE KAPOW. :snoopy: Way to go!

When I'm ready to submit, you'll be first on MY list!

Danielle

JustLaurie

Too young to care
Registered
Reaction score
Is there any place for contemporary fiction in a college-setting, especially when trying to obtain an agent?

Autodidact

...in my Maidenform Bra.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi thanks you're wonderful we love and appreciate you.

I'm considering developing a book proposal for a YA book tentatively titled Brave Souls and Beautiful Spirits: A Book of Gay and Lesbian Heroes for Young People. My question: is the whole idea of a book of gay and lesbian heroes for YA audience ridiculous? Might a potential controversy actually sell some copies? If I did a perfect job on the proposal, would anyone (other than Allyson Books) consider such a thing?

And thanks we love you you're wonderful :)

xcomplex

Fantastic Fantasy!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.arielemerald.blogspot.com
Ok so what if I sent a query like a year ago and I didn't get a reply from you. Can I query a new project that is so much better since I have really grew with my writing?

Nathan Bransford

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nathanbransford.blogspot.com
Hi Nathan,

On your blog you say to definitely mention whether or not I have an MFA. Would it also be appropriate to mention if I am currently in the program and haven't graduated yet, or if I was accepted into a program and will be attending in a few months?

Yes, definitely mention it! Getting into an MFA program is an accomplishment.

Nathan Bransford

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hi Nathan!
I have an early MG novel that's 7K words. It's written at a similar level/length to some of Matt Christopher's sports novels, Judy Moody & Stink books, or the Junie B. Jones series. I've heard this age group called middle grade, early middle grade, early grade, and chapter book...what do I call it while querying? I just don't want anyone to see "early middle grade novel" and "7000 words" and think I'm nuts or anything.

Thanks for being an awesome writer-helping machine!

Sounds like a chapter book or early reader to me.

Nathan Bransford

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I never seem to ask the right questions on these forums, but here goes. Do publishers and agents look down on stories where one perspective is in first perspective and the other person's is in third perspective? Secondly is 87,000 words too much for a first time ya author? How do publsihers feel about the excessive use of italics?

As always, it depends on the execution. Some bestsellers alternate first and third person, especially some suspense writers. I'd say it's rare, but it's not unheard of. Don't sweat the word count, just make sure it's tightly edited. And.... I don't know anyone on Earth who likes excessive Italics.

Nathan Bransford

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hi Nathan

Do you know of a site that lists the top agents who represent either fantasy or YA novels?

If anyone else on this board does know of such a site, I would appreciate your help in this regard.

Query Tracker, Agent Query, and this board are good resources for locating reputable agents.

Nathan Bransford

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
There's a thread going on this, but I thought I'd ask an agent's opinion, too.

How open do you think a publisher would be to a YA novel geared toward girls with a male main character? There's still a prominent female character in it, but the POV is the guy's. Does MC gender matter at all?

If it works it works! THE SECRET YEAR by Jennifer Hubbard has a male main character and the story really appeals to girls (and boys too). So it definitely happens.

Nathan Bransford

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I seriously hope I'm putting this in the right place. I've been looking around for a while now trying to find the answer or at least where to put the question.

Here it is: I work at a review site. Not a huge world famous one, mind you, but fairly popular and gaining. Do I include this information in a query? Is it the sort of thing agents and editors want people to be straightforward about?

I really don't want it to look like I was trying to hide something should they find out about it later.

Sure, I think it's worth mentioning. I don't think it's going to make or break your query, but it's good background info.

Nathan Bransford

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hi Nathan,

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In
a mystery novel I'm writing, I am inclined to write the first chapter from the POV of Character A, but the rest of the book from the POV of Character B. Maybe it will work, but I'm concerned that the switch might lead the reader to expect a multi-viewpoint book, which--except for the first chapter--it isn't.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] So
I thought I might simply call the first chapter a prologue. (The action is continuous. Such a prologue would not be a flashback or flash-forward.)[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

However, I recently attended a panel discussion of editors and agents here in New York, during which one agent indicated that prologues are
old-fashioned and [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]that he would not want to read any mystery manuscript that included one. His attitude seemed a bit extreme to me. Are prologues really so passé?[/FONT] [/FONT] [/FONT] [/FONT]

Yeah, I'd probably call it a prologue if there's a POV shift that doesn't happen for the rest of the book.

I don't think prologues are passe at all. Good prologues can work really well. I think the reason agents hesitate to recommend them is that we see a lot of misguided prologues in our Inboxes. But if it's done right it can really set the mood. For instance, I'm reading CHILD 44 right now, which has a terrific prologue.

Nathan Bransford

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Mr. Bransford

I'm a freshman in college and a Creative Writing major and am considering a double major in advertising/Public relations or just a minor in marketing. I definitely want to be a writer, but I also want to work on the other side of publishing. What does it take to become a literary agent? I know there is no set degree, but is there one or a combination that would aid me best in this career?

Also, do you have to live in NY or California? I'm from florida and I have already inquired to 3 agencies here if they take on interns and most work out of home offices so unfortunately they don't. I know the Knight Agency is based out of Georgia so I may try them.

Anyway, what will help me best to pursue this career? Will I have to spend many years in NY or California or just back and forth? I know many agencies are proving the stereotype "only agencies in NY thrive" wrong. I'm sorry for such a long question, but there really isn't much on the subject that I've come across in my research.

Thank you for your time.

Elizabeth

Here's a post about how to become an agent. And yeah, you're probably going to have to live in New York: http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2006/10/so-you-wanna-be-literary-agent.html

Nathan Bransford

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hello Nathan,
Well, I'll give you the long story/short. I have completed my MS and approached about a dozen agents and recieved a dozen rejects. That's okay, I know how it is for rookies. So, being science fiction, I sent the MS to the two biggest SF publishers in NY. After a year, no reply. Not surprising in this climate. I began to wonder if my novel was not as wonderful as I thought. So I put a sample out on the net and got very positive feedback from both male AND female readers. I am very cautious about approaching anyone on the web, especially when they promise me the moon. So here's the question. How in the world do I score an agent or publisher. Thank's for your time and I will appreciate any input.
Regards,
Telford

You just have to keep plugging away. Keep querying, keep writing, and just do the best you can.

Nathan Bransford

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Step 1 - write a killer query letter and post it in the Share Your Work thread here so that writers more experienced in agent-seeking can offer you guidance. Look at Queryshark.blogspot for guidance on constructing this letter. Search through the agent blogs for more advice and examples of successful queries.

Yeah, this too.

Nathan Bransford

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Mr. Bransford.

I have written a YA supernatural suspense and am starting to wonder if it has crossed over into the adult audience. The MC’s are in the senior high age bracket. I do believe that it would interest both age groups. In my query would I say it is ‘crossover’ or would this put the agents off?

You did make this comment a few years ago in this forum:

“To me the separation between YA and adult is not thematic, it has more to do with pacing. When you read a YA novel the pace tends to happen quicker, the books tend to be shorter, and things happen in a more straightforward fashion, on the surface. In an adult novel, even an adult novel about high schoolers, things unfold more slowly, there tends to be more subtlety and ambiguity. In other words, I think the YA/Adult split is more about the telling than the themes.”

I also know you are not a stickler for word count, but have suggested that 40-60K is average for YA.

This leads to my next question: My novel is just over 80k and has a very exciting fast pace on the surface (most ‘things happen in a straightforward fashion’). On the other hand, there are also a few sub-plots and twists that link up like pieces of a puzzle (subtleties and ambiguities that unfold more slowly). It is these subtleties that when put together provides the answers the reader has been asking throughout the book. So as you can see; I have a problem working out where to fit it. I still think it is crossover, but I am not the expert (wink).

Thanks in advance for your valued advice.

I think agents are a little wary of hearing that projects have crossover appeal, simply because this is something we hear often and it's only sometimes true. But if you genuinely feel it does, feel free to mention it.

I wouldn't get caught up in word count - just use as many words as it takes to tell the story. As for the subplots - only you and your beta readers will know if they work or not.

Nathan Bransford

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hi Nathan (assuming you are still checking on this)

Alright, much to my sheepishness, I cannot work a forum. I can learn how to use a brand new program on a computer within an hour but forums are evil to me lol. I'm hoping I did this right.
So my question for Nathan is this....

If someone wanted to briefly tweak the history of someone historical, is that acceptable?
For example; Queen "Bloody" Mary was really a vampire.
That's just an example and isn't true (so far that we know of lol) so would we get in trouble for writing such a thing? I'm assuming it would be alright if it was labeled fiction, but one can never be too sure.

I'm not a publishing attorney so take this with a grain of salt, but my understanding is that if they're dead they're fair game.

Nathan Bransford

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I know I am jumping the gun here, but I am a dreamer and now and then I do find myself wondering. If I was fortunate enough to land an agent and then be taken up by a publisher who was keen on a series (and therefore offers a 3/4/# book deal). How long is a writer usually given to complete each subsequent book in that series? Am I wrong to assume it might be about a year between books? Does the first book still get printed in the same time frame as stand-alones? Or do they hold back on the printing until they are satisfied that the next will be completed to their deadline/specifications?

This is all negotiated before the offer is accepted. It's often a year, but it might be longer or shorter depending on the timeline everyone agrees upon.

Nathan Bransford

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hi Nathan, based on this sort of thing, are we screwed? Has the publishing industry taken that drastic a nosedive recently?

I don't know if it's a matter of taking a nosedive, but publishers, for better or worse, are really taking a hard look at their lists and are retrenching around only the books they think they can really publish well. On the one hand this is good because they are only publishing the books they are most passionate/confident about, but on the other hand there are lots of good authors falling through the cracks.

All writers can do is just keep writing as well as they can and let the chips fall where they may. Books are still selling, debuts are still getting published. It's just harder than ever.

Nathan Bransford

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hi Nathan,

I've been reading your responses here and decided to go to the last page to see if you're still here. I can't believe that you are...and politely answering questions to boot! You are a saint. I'm only on page 20 and wanted to read everything. Otherwise, I'd end up asking you something you've already answered dozens of times. ;)

I don't have a question yet, but I wanted to congratulate you on your novel, JACOB WONDERBAR AND THE COSMIC SPACE KAPOW. :snoopy: Way to go!

When I'm ready to submit, you'll be first on MY list!

Danielle

Thank you!! I appreciate the note.

Nathan Bransford

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Is there any place for contemporary fiction in a college-setting, especially when trying to obtain an agent?

Books with college settings are somewhat tricky because they often fall between YA and adult literature, and college students don't really read much for pleasure because they're too busy reading other things.

But, as always, if it works it works.

Nathan Bransford

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hi thanks you're wonderful we love and appreciate you.

I'm considering developing a book proposal for a YA book tentatively titled Brave Souls and Beautiful Spirits: A Book of Gay and Lesbian Heroes for Young People. My question: is the whole idea of a book of gay and lesbian heroes for YA audience ridiculous? Might a potential controversy actually sell some copies? If I did a perfect job on the proposal, would anyone (other than Allyson Books) consider such a thing?

And thanks we love you you're wonderful :)

There are so many gay and lesbian protagonists in YA that I can't imagine batting an eyebrow, let alone it stirring controversy. You researched all those, right?

Nathan Bransford

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ok so what if I sent a query like a year ago and I didn't get a reply from you. Can I query a new project that is so much better since I have really grew with my writing?

If you didn't hear from me you should have re-queried since I respond to everyone (or check the spam filter). But now that you have a better project, query with that one.

Nathan Bransford

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
And with that, I'm afraid I have to bring my participation in the Ask An Agent thread to a close. Hard to believe it was open for nearly two years, and sorry I was (usually) late in getting to all of the questions.

THANK YOU so much to everyone for all of your great questions, you inspired lots of blog posts and it was great chatting with everyone. This is such a great community and I'm so appreciative for all of your kind words, your insight and enthusiasm.

However, I'm soon going to be launching forums on my own site, and will have to devote my energy there. Thanks again, everyone!

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Thanks so much, Nathan, for all the time and effort. You've not only been a consummate professional, but a genuinely kind and gentle person.

I'll go ahead and lock this, then -- but be sure and drop us a note when your forums are up, and I'll post a link.

Status
Not open for further replies.