Ask Nathan Bransford! Guest agent from 02/07 - 12/09!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FergieC

Bored at work fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathferguson.co.uk
Hi Nathan, and thanks for your time!

I was reading your blog and noticed that the query you pulled out as a specifically good one was one in which the writer mentioned having a website.

I've recently set up a website, but for two reasons, I never mention this on query letters. The first is that my web design skills aren't that great, so it's not a brilliant website - it has samples of a novel and some published short stories, but not much else. The second is just that, as an unpublished novelist, I feel kind of pretentious having a website. Given that you seemed to like this though, should I be mentioning it and perhaps putting more work into getting it better?

What is it about a writer having a website that an agent might like, and what would you be looking for in one? (I'm in Britain, by the way, where it's more common to send the first three chapters along with the query, so telling them they could read the first three chapters there wouldn't be a big addition in most cases.)

Last edited:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Hi, Nathan! Thanks so much for taking the time to answer questions here. :)

A friend of mine is in a bit of a quandry and I noticed you happen to rep the category (sports.) I write genre fiction and don't really know much about non-fiction sports books and none of my romance/fantasy contacts are much help. Basically, he has a new take on an old subject where there are plenty of books already published. Unfortunately, while the topic was written as his major college thesis (possibly his master's, but I don't know that for certain,) he has little platform within the sport--not a former player, coach, etc.

Is there something he could be doing in his query, which has met with little success, that might interest an agent in the project enough to ask for a partial or full?

Thanks much and again--welcome to AW! :)

dreamsofnever

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kellyguentner.com
Hi Nathan! Thanks for taking the time to be here. I'm pretty new to AW, but I've found the agent answers to questions really helpful-and I have a few myself.

First question-someone else touched on this a bit, but I have a book that is the first in a series. It's not just a book that got too long and had to be split up, but the story I'm planning to tell will be spread out over several novels, though the first story does have a plot and resolution within the first book, so it can work as a standalone as well. That said, should I emphasize the fact that this first novel is the first in a series when querying agents?

And another question-I've been reading that 80-90k words is a pretty good guideline for a first novel, and I've even heard that if a work is shorter than this, it won't be taken seriously. How true is this? I can see the reasoning behind it, but at the same time, there are many great novels that are shorter than the standard benchmarks (and longer of course) out there as well. To be more specific, as an agent, what word count range do you prefer for certain genres? And will you look at a book if it's outside this range?

Nathan Bransford

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nathanbransford.blogspot.com
Hi Nathan, and thanks for your time!

I was reading your blog and noticed that the query you pulled out as a specifically good one was one in which the writer mentioned having a website.

I've recently set up a website, but for two reasons, I never mention this on query letters. The first is that my web design skills aren't that great, so it's not a brilliant website - it has samples of a novel and some published short stories, but not much else. The second is just that, as an unpublished novelist, I feel kind of pretentious having a website. Given that you seemed to like this though, should I be mentioning it and perhaps putting more work into getting it better?

What is it about a writer having a website that an agent might like, and what would you be looking for in one? (I'm in Britain, by the way, where it's more common to send the first three chapters along with the query, so telling them they could read the first three chapters there wouldn't be a big addition in most cases.)

I do think one relatively easy area authors can improve their chances is with a good website. There are many reasons for this -- you never know who is going to stop by, it shows you are a capable self-promoter, it shows you're professional, and, perhaps most importantly, something will come up when an agent Googles you. What if an agent hears about your project from a friend of a friend and tries to look you up? You need to make it as easy as possible for people to find you.

It doesn't have to be overly elaborate, just so there's something there.

Nathan Bransford

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hi, Nathan! Thanks so much for taking the time to answer questions here. :)

A friend of mine is in a bit of a quandry and I noticed you happen to rep the category (sports.) I write genre fiction and don't really know much about non-fiction sports books and none of my romance/fantasy contacts are much help. Basically, he has a new take on an old subject where there are plenty of books already published. Unfortunately, while the topic was written as his major college thesis (possibly his master's, but I don't know that for certain,) he has little platform within the sport--not a former player, coach, etc.

Is there something he could be doing in his query, which has met with little success, that might interest an agent in the project enough to ask for a partial or full?

Thanks much and again--welcome to AW! :)

It's really tough to answer this one without knowing more about the topic and the particulars, but as with all nonfiction, platform is extremely important, and a degree isn't usually enough -- these days it usually takes some sort of national or at least regional prominence unless it's a really unique project.

Nathan Bransford

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hi Nathan! Thanks for taking the time to be here. I'm pretty new to AW, but I've found the agent answers to questions really helpful-and I have a few myself.

First question-someone else touched on this a bit, but I have a book that is the first in a series. It's not just a book that got too long and had to be split up, but the story I'm planning to tell will be spread out over several novels, though the first story does have a plot and resolution within the first book, so it can work as a standalone as well. That said, should I emphasize the fact that this first novel is the first in a series when querying agents?

And another question-I've been reading that 80-90k words is a pretty good guideline for a first novel, and I've even heard that if a work is shorter than this, it won't be taken seriously. How true is this? I can see the reasoning behind it, but at the same time, there are many great novels that are shorter than the standard benchmarks (and longer of course) out there as well. To be more specific, as an agent, what word count range do you prefer for certain genres? And will you look at a book if it's outside this range?

Boy, it seems like everyone is writing a series!

I really, really would advise against trying to start with a series when you're an unpublished writer. Look at this way -- set aside how good your project is for a moment and just look at it as a numbers game. You're up against long odds finding an agent -- I take on less than 1% of the authors who approach me. You're up against longer odds finding a publisher -- I can't guarantee that I'm going to be able to sell every project I go out with. You're up against longer still odds getting a second book published, and longer odds still getting a publisher to agree to a series.

So why make things harder on yourself trying to pitch a series?

As an unpublished author it's extremely important to focus on one book -- if you've written 10 unpublished books don't tell the agent that. If an author tells me they've written 10 books it doesn't tell me an author is prolific, it tells me they've been unable to find a publisher for any of them.

Focus on one -- your best one, and don't mention the rest or any others you've thought of. If you're fortunate enough to find a publisher for that book and if you're fortunate enough that your agent and editor want you to continue that as a series, great. But I wouldn't worsen your odds off the get-go.

PS: Oops, forgot to answer the word count question. An adult novel can be anywhere from 50,000 - 125,000 words (over 150,000 I run away as fast as I can). It just depends on the novel and genre. A YA novel should be somewhere between 40,000-60,000.

Last edited:

dreamsofnever

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kellyguentner.com
Wow, thank you for the quick response! Luckily, the novel can work as a stand-alone as well, so it's good to know how I should be presenting it.

and also thank you for answer the word count question. That's also very helpful :)

Nathan Bransford

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
A very astute reader pointed out to me that some editors prefer series and see them as a selling point, particularly in the fantasy genres -- I do think this is true, and I think I came out too strongly anti-series and muddled my point.

I think it's very important to focus on telling one story in a query, because attracting an agent (and later an editor) to the first book is the very most important thing. That said, you might suggest in the query that while the book you are writing about can stand alone, you do have some ideas about expanding them into a series if that opportunity arises. That, to me, represents the best of both worlds -- if the agent thinks the idea is great for a single title but not a series it's ok, and if the agent thinks the idea is great for a series you've planted that idea as well.

Also this is a good time to point out how much opinions vary within the industry -- please take everything I say with a grain of salt. Another agent might come on and tell you something completely different -- these are just one agent's opinions. There are lots of differing opinions on series -- some think they're a great way of building an audience, some people worry that sequels and series can trap an author into one world that can eventually be more difficult to break out of. So this is definitely one subject where you're going to hear a lot of different opinions.

Last edited:

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Hi Nathan,
Thank you for your time!
How bad is it to submit a three page synopsis vs a one page? My three page is so much better and less confusing.
Thanks Again!

Nathan Bransford

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hi Nathan,
Thank you for your time!
How bad is it to submit a three page synopsis vs a one page? My three page is so much better and less confusing.
Thanks Again!

I think three pages is probably ok if it's very readable -- my own preference is for shorter synopses that summarize more than listing every single plot point, but this is another one of those questions where you're going to hear a different opinion from every agent you ask.

klxr250

Registered
Reaction score
Rights

Hi Nathan

Can we usually ask specifics of changes needed to the manuscript before signing an agreement?

How much rights can we retain to keep the way the manuscript is?

Does each agent typically handle one market, even in the case of children's picture books?

Last edited:

Nathan Bransford

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hi Nathan

Can we usually ask specifics of changes needed to the manuscript before signing an agreement?

How much rights can we retain to keep the way the manuscript is?

Does each agent typically handle one market, even in the case of children's picture books?

Best,
Jin Pyn

I'm not quite sure I understand the first two questions -- are you talking about prior to securing representation or prior to publishing the book? There are many opportunities to make changes to a manuscript prior to publication. An agent will probably want some changes, then the editor will draft an editorial letter and suggest changes, then a copyeditor will suggest changes, and then there's a final pass. So a manuscript really is in flux for quite a while, but usually no changes can be made to the manuscript unless you say it's ok.

dreamsofnever

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kellyguentner.com
One other question for you-I'm getting married in September and changing my last name, and as I certainly won't be published before then, nor do I want to start out my career with one name and change it halfway through or get stuck using my maiden name, how do you suggest I approach this in my letters? I've read that you should put the name you want to be published under on the manuscript, but sign your legal name on your queries, but wouldn't this get confusing? Should I just send out my queries and manuscript under my maiden (and currently legal) name and, if it gets to the point where it will be published, then discuss my name preferences?

and by the way, again thank you for being here! your response time is amazing :)

Nathan Bransford

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
One other question for you-I'm getting married in September and changing my last name, and as I certainly won't be published before then, nor do I want to start out my career with one name and change it halfway through or get stuck using my maiden name, how do you suggest I approach this in my letters? I've read that you should put the name you want to be published under on the manuscript, but sign your legal name on your queries, but wouldn't this get confusing? Should I just send out my queries and manuscript under my maiden (and currently legal) name and, if it gets to the point where it will be published, then discuss my name preferences?

and by the way, again thank you for being here! your response time is amazing :)

Just stick to one name in your queries and figure it out later. If you find an agent and eventually a publisher you'll have plenty of time to put whatever name you want on the manuscript. Congrats on the upcoming marriage!!

dreamsofnever

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kellyguentner.com
Just stick to one name in your queries and figure it out later. If you find an agent and eventually a publisher you'll have plenty of time to put whatever name you want on the manuscript. Congrats on the upcoming marriage!!

Why thank you!

And I will take that advice. It sounds simpler than trying to explain my impending name change in query letters!

kdnxdr

One of the most important people in the world
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
Mr. Bransford,

I'm getting into the forum discussion a little late and I have just completed reading all the previous posts. Thank you so much for your time and all the helping information you have provided.

I have begun my very first novel and have been greatly helped by your answers. I had no idea what all was involved in the business of writing! I am a little overwhelmed by all that lies ahead but, I love to write. I'm excited to write my story and your down-to-earth, kind advice is much appreciated.

Thank you!

Elaine Parny - kid

KCH

Registered
Reaction score
Nathan--

No question, just a comment. What incredible energy and generosity of time and expertise you have! I couldn't believe how many unread posts all had Nathan Bransford as the author. And branching out to other threads as well! As if you don't already have a demanding fulltime job.

I need to take a nap just thinking about it.

Best,

KCH

klxr250

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Nathan

Thank you for your time.

I have just been offered some terms for world Japanese language rights.

What is the standard royalty? Is this usually based on net profit or selling price? And contractually how long would the license term be? Also, this refers to children's picture books (I know you do not really handle this genre, but I do not know anyone else to ask!)- how many copies is the first print run usually for Japan?

eccentric artist

Hi Nathan.

I'm trying to pitch my adult picture book and I'm wondering if you can suggest a name of a genre which would contain it. It is collection of photographs of an artist's work which are three-dimensional cartoons featuring a dog who sort of recapitulates a liberal arts education. There are also photographs of the real dog who inspired the art. It's more than a gift book, book of art, cartoon book, pet book, quirky, and amusing book. Is it uncatgorizable or is there one genre that an agent could understand? Thanks a lot.

Nathan Bransford

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hi Nathan

Thank you for your time.

I have just been offered some terms for world Japanese language rights.

What is the standard royalty? Is this usually based on net profit or selling price? And contractually how long would the license term be? Also, this refers to children's picture books (I know you do not really handle this genre, but I do not know anyone else to ask!)- how many copies is the first print run usually for Japan?

I'm really not sure -- foreign rights aren't my area of expertise (we have a dedicated foreign rights agent at Curtis Brown), and actually I'm not sure I could really tell you specifics anyway because any terms we have with Japanese publishers would be proprietary information. But that's great, congratulations!

Last edited:

Nathan Bransford

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hi Nathan.

I'm trying to pitch my adult picture book and I'm wondering if you can suggest a name of a genre which would contain it. It is collection of photographs of an artist's work which are three-dimensional cartoons featuring a dog who sort of recapitulates a liberal arts education. There are also photographs of the real dog who inspired the art. It's more than a gift book, book of art, cartoon book, pet book, quirky, and amusing book. Is it uncatgorizable or is there one genre that an agent could understand? Thanks a lot.

I'd call it an art book or a coffee table book, although truthfully I don't reperesent this type of material so I'm not quite sure how it would be categorized.

jonereb

Registered
Reaction score
Nathan, I appeciate your time. In an earlier response, you said adult novels can be a short as 50K. My horror/supernatural WiP will probably be 50K to 55K words. Here's my quandry. I originally started writing to a YA (high school) audience. However, I think it would interest adults also, even though the MCs are high school seniors.

How should I address audience in a query? Adult or YA? Both?

Nathan Bransford

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Nathan, I appeciate your time. In an earlier response, you said adult novels can be a short as 50K. My horror/supernatural WiP will probably be 50K to 55K words. Here's my quandry. I originally started writing to a YA (high school) audience. However, I think it would interest adults also, even though the MCs are high school seniors.

How should I address audience in a query? Adult or YA? Both?

"Crossover" novels are really, really tough -- I've seen quite a few projects where the work is too adult to be YA and yet too youthful to be adult. So what makes a novel YA vs. Adult when, say, both plots involve high schoolers as main characters?

As an example, let's take two novels about troubled high schoolers: KL Going's FAT KID RULES THE WORLD, and Michelle Tea's ROSE OF NO MAN'S LAND. FAT KID RULES THE WORLD opens with an overweight teenager contemplating suicide before he befriends a homeless high schooler and joins a band, ROSE OF NO MAN'S LAND is about a troubled teenager who becomes friends/lover with a wild teenager who distracts her from her troubled home life. Somewhat similar themes, right? But FAT KID RULES THE WORLD is a YA novel, and ROSE OF NO MAN'S LAND is an adult novel. What accounts for the split?

To me the separation between YA and adult is not thematic, it has more to do with pacing. When you read a YA novel the pace tends to happen quicker, the books tend to be shorter, and things happen in a more straightforward fashion, on the surface. In an adult novel, even an adult novel about high schoolers, things unfold more slowly, there tends to be more subtlety and ambiguity. In other words, I think the YA/Adult split is more about the telling than the themes.

All of this is a long way to say that I think you need to pitch your novel as one or the other, because agents rarely handle both adult and YA, and it's virtually impossible to pitch a "crossover" book. Books do indeed cross over, and you can mention that your book has crossover potential, but at least initially I think you have to go one way or another. But hopefully the above split will be a rough guide of how your book should be categorized.

And thank you very much for the great question -- I think I'm going to clean this up and make it a blog post.

HorrorWriter

It's a new dawn. It's a new day.
Registered
Reaction score
In your closet with the Boogeyman's corpse!
Nathan,
Hi and welcome to AW! My question is this: Is an agent truly interested in your work if they ask you to make changes and resubmit, and they want to read the full? I know it's a general question, but that has happened to me, and I feel nervous about sending the manuscript in full. Said agent read only the first 3 chapters so far, but wanted me to add something. Then she wants to read the full. She sounds really interested. She said she likes my writing and my story. She called me back one Sunday and we talked for about 30 minutes. I told her that I needed a few months to iron out the changes she requested and she stated that was fine. I'm almost done with those changes and I'm getting rather nervous. Should I be? Thanks for listening to my psychotic rant.:D

Nathan Bransford

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Nathan,
Hi and welcome to AW! My question is this: Is an agent truly interested in your work if they ask you to make changes and resubmit, and they want to read the full? I know it's a general question, but that has happened to me, and I feel nervous about sending the manuscript in full. Said agent read only the first 3 chapters so far, but wanted me to add something. Then she wants to read the full. She sounds really interested. She said she likes my writing and my story. She called me back one Sunday and we talked for about 30 minutes. I told her that I needed a few months to iron out the changes she requested and she stated that was fine. I'm almost done with those changes and I'm getting rather nervous. Should I be? Thanks for listening to my psychotic rant.:D

Yes, that's a very good sign and she is definitely interested, although it's still not a gaurantee she'll take you on, so I'd say cautious optimism is in order. That's great that you agreed to make the changes -- if an agent is interested in your work and is suggesting changes, by all means make them!

Status
Not open for further replies.