Introducing characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB_Finesse

Registered
Reaction score
All right, I just have no idea how I should go about this.

I mean, it's not like as soon as you introduce them you can go immediately into an in-depth description of them.

"Hi," said Tom.

Tom was 29 years old, 5'1 and weighted 290 pounds. He wore pink cutoff jeans, flipflops and a long yellow rain coat. One half of his spiky hair was dyed lime green, the other orange. His favorite song was Video Killed the Radio Star and he ate absinthe-soaked Twinkies at every meal.

Nobody wants to read that. I realize you have to add these things in over time, but exactly how should I do it?

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
When I look up and see someone for the first time there is generally a snap impression that doesn't need to list all of their their demographics let alone age and eye color which I generally have only the roughest estimate of. I do laugh at the paragraph long descriptions that turn up sometimes right down to every piece of clothing...

Assuming you write using a character's point of view most of the time, you migth like to try watching people go by and summing them up in a sentence--the general impression. You know, he look's like Justin Timberlake would if he got fat... and short. Cute girl, doesn't she get cold dressing like that? If the everyman had a grandmother she'd look like that etc.

If you give a first impression, details can come in later.

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
You don't have to describe the character the minute it walks on the page. But some kind of descriptions, at least, and a fuller picture in the near future if necessary -- there are details about the character that we (the readers) don't need to know:

Sara waved to Jill and pointed at a young man, who must weigh about 300 pounds. He was even shorter than Jill, who was only 5'3" to begin with, without heels.

"Jill, meet Tom," Sara said.

"Hi," Tom said, extending his hand to Jill.

Jill tried hard to suppress a snicker as she shook hands with Tom. For one thing, his pink cutoff jeans, flipflops and long yellow raincoat were straight out of a comic book. And there was his hair, which looked like someone had just poured lime and orange Kool-Aid on it.

.... (then later in the story)...

"So, what's your favorite song, Tom?" Jill asked, pretending interest.

"Video Killed the Radio Star, definitely," Tom said.

(well, you get the idea -- you're right, no one needs to know everything about a new character, especially if it's out of POV. Just give enough so that your readers can visualize, then later sprinkle in more information)

Last edited:

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I've heard somewhere that describing characters using the mirror or reflection technique is a big no-no. To what extent is that advice valid?

If you use mirror-gazing, then make it relevant.

Don't have the character wake up in the morning (a worse no-no than mirrors), trudge into the bathroom, and start examining their reflection. Even though normal people do this, how often do you really note the shape of your face, the slope (or bump) of your nose, the exact length and color of your hair, or even the color of your eyes?

Give them a good reason to look at their reflection. Otherwise it can feel obtrusive to the narrative. That's when it becomes a no-no.

Serenity

NCIS...
Registered
Reaction score
...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the hea
As a reader, I can tell you that if the first chapter has the Joe-Friday-just-the-facts-ma'am character description, it's going to make me roll my eyes and probably put the book down. Well, unless it's a Dragnet book, then I'd expect it, sort of.

Anyhow, character description can come in a variety of ways. In a co-written book, much of my character's physical description was actually described in a memory from another characters POV as he saw her unconscious. Her age came about in the same memory. Other descriptions come from remarks made over the first chapter or two that she is in, and are also from other characters. Because honestly, how often do we think of ourselves in descriptions? And unless we're in a Who's Line sketch or a Micky Spilane novel, how often do we meet someone and think to ourselves: "Wow, they're 5'10", about 180 pounds, green- no, hazel- eyes..." etc.

glassquill

RB's favourite chewtoy
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the input,veinglory and chaostitan. Not that I have halls of mirrors or a character that has an obssession with his/her appearance. But it will be good to know when to avoid it.

JB, the reflection and mirror technique is when the character sees self in a mirror or any reflective surface and describes himself/herself based on the reflection. I'm not sure if it's actually called that but it's just a label that I stick on it. Maybe they have some proper term for that form of description that I'm not aware of.

Come to think of it, are there any other ways of describing a character that's best avoided? I know that those that read like the description of some criminal on the evening news aren't a good idea. Unless the character IS a criminal on the evening news, that is. :D

JB_Finesse

Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah. Stephen King likes to do that. I generally wouldn't. Plus, it'd only work with a single character, otherwise it'd just be stupid.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I've heard somewhere that describing characters using the mirror or reflection technique is a big no-no. To what extent is that advice valid?

It's a no no because so many people do it poorly, unnaturally:

I looked into the mirror and saw my beautiful blonde hair and smooth complexion.

That prompts the readers to ask, "Why the heck is she telling me that?" Anything that stops the readers and takes her out of the story is an undesirable effect.

Now, it doesn't mean it can never been done. Many skillful writers have done it effectively. It should have a purpose, and the mirror and reflection must be relevant to the plot and not come off as "oh, and let me describe myself to you..." Make it as transparent as you can.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
It's a no no because so many people do it poorly, unnaturally:

I looked into the mirror and saw my beautiful blonde hair and smooth complexion.

That prompts the readers to ask, "Why the heck is she telling me that?" Anything that stops the readers and takes her out of the story is an undesirable effect.

Now, it doesn't mean it can never been done. Many skillful writers have done it effectively. It should have a purpose, and the mirror and reflection must be relevant to the plot and not come off as "oh, and let me describe myself to you..." Make it as transparent as you can.

It works if it's just a quick-hit kind of description.

She glanced at her reflection in the store window and cringed a bit, frantically fluffing her long dark curls. "Why didn't you tell me I had the frizzies?"

"Because you don't," her friend replied. "Calm down, you look fine."

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
I have a WIP where my mc notices her reflection in the rearview mirror as she's changing lanes and makes some inner note about her bloodshot eyes, straggly hair, etc.,.

In my other works, I write romance where description is maybe a little more expected but still needs to sound natural, not like the narrator or POV is describing contestants in the Miss USA pageant or something similar.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Keep in mind, also, what the reader needs to know and what the reader doesn't need to know. Is the eye color of your character important to the story? Is the fact that he has a scar over his left wrist vital to know?

If the answers are Yes, then work them in. If not, then don't.

glassquill

RB's favourite chewtoy
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard writers say that they want to put plenty of details in their work because they want the reader to see the character as clearly as they do (eg. the description of hair colour, the length, hair style, etc.).

Others take the view that they'll only give as much details as necessary for the reader to have a vague sort of idea as to what the character looks like and any other details are supplied by the reader's own imagination (eg. just the colour of the hair is mentioned).

Is one better than the other or is it just strictly personal preference on the part of the writer?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Partly it is genre. Partly it is taste. But what makes a character clear in my mind is not their exact height in feet and inches and exact shade of their twinkling sapphire eyes anyway. I couldn't tell you the exact height, weight and eye color even of my best friends so I don't care about it in characters either. Ditto the brand names of their clothing.

If I have to read another work in progress that itemizes a walk-on character's exact hair style and outfit (down to minor accesories and make-up) but omits even the basics of age, race, style, comportment and sometimes even gender, I may scream.

JIMBOS

Registered
Reaction score
ME TOO!

Thanks JB...I'm having the same problem. Should I describe them as they speak? Or all at once?Can anyone help?

FADE IN:
EXT. THE WOODS - DAY
A crudely built clubhouse. 'The Hideout’ is painted is over the door. Sounds of boys talking and laughing come from inside.

INT. THE HIDEOUT– DAY
Four pre-teen boys sit in a circle.

Last edited:

JB_Finesse

Registered
Reaction score
Well, the good thing about scripts is that you're not selling them to people who just want to read them, therefore having to read the whole thing about hair color and clothing and stuff won't matter quite as much. I say you should get into the discriptions as they speak rather than put all 4 in right after "four pre-teen boys sit in a circle". In my opinion, that would sort clutter it up. I'm not too experienced with scripts though.

Last edited:

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Thanks JB...I'm having the same problem. Should I describe them as they speak? Or all at once?Can anyone help?

FADE IN:
EXT. THE WOODS - DAY
A crudely built clubhouse. 'The Hideout’ is painted is over the door. Sounds of boys talking and laughing come from inside.

INT. THE HIDEOUT– DAY
Four pre-teen boys sit in a circle.

In my scriptwriting experience, it's best to paint the picture with broad strokes, and do it as soon as possible.

Example:

INT. THE HIDEOUT - DAY

Four pre-teen boys sit in a circle. DANIEL, the biggest boy in the group, wears dirty clothes and picks at a weeping scab on his left knee. JOSH sits close to his big brother LUCAS. Both boys wear pressed khaki shorts, white shirts, new sneakers. ANDY, the leader in his favorite baseball jersey, holds the pocketknife.

You get a sense of each boy, and can then go forward with the dialogue and ensuing scene. Casting will take care of hair and eye color and other specifics.

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
Be careful with overdoing the description. I, for one, hate it when an author insists on giving me a laundry list of every item the characters are wearing and what they look like. Weight, for instance, doesn't mean a lot for me. I've met people who weighed the same in pounds but were built completely differently. Basically, I say focus on the things you think are most important and the things that make the character stand out or that can be related in some way to their personality (here a few distinctive items of clothing might come in.) It's also best to have one character describe another rather than to have a character describe themselves (unless the character is terribly vain and thus does spend an overt amount of time thinking about her shining blond hair.)

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
I do very little character description. When I do do it, I usually somehow weave it into dialogue, or as an observation made by the mc. So far, I see no reason to tell the reader my mc had long dark hair or that her friend looks like a young Reese Whitherspoon with glasses.

Or, maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.