Podiobooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to know what everyone thinks of this new medium. Check it out here and tell me your thoughts. It looks like you provide your audio book free of charge as a podcast and in return you get exposure. I've downloaded a few first chapters to take a listen and see what it's all about. I heard about podio books on a recent I Should Be Writing podcast.

Any opinions? Any experience?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Podio

It may have some benefits, but I always thought "Exposure" is what you get from standing out in a cold rain too long. People die from exposure every year. For way too many, what "exposure" really means is "your work isn't worth buying."

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
ChunkyC said:
We had a pretty good discussion of this sort of thing not too long ago in this thread. :)

That was, overall, a good thread.

Sometimes, giving away books works wonderfully. I've spoken before about how impressed I am by my Baen Books disc, which not only has complete novel text on it, but a complete audio book too. I love it.

That said...I'm well past the point, as a writer and a person, where I'm going to write much of anything that I intend to give away. Harlan Ellison had some rather pointed things to say on that subject, and I agree with him. If I can find the quote, i'll post it.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If you have an extensive backlist I think free ebooks and audiobooks may be a great strategy. Otherwise you would probably do better to sell them at a profit ;)

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I'm sorry, I think "podiobooks" is a stupid, stupid word.

That said, I think here are huge uses for audiobooks, uses that are just going to grow in the coming year or two. But, just like the internet, I don't see the use as being "here's my stuff for free, an' I hope yer likes it."

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Audiobooks for ipods does strike me as a new market for short stories. They tend to work better than whole novels in a 'walk about' form.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
veinglory said:
Audiobooks for ipods does strike me as a new market for short stories. They tend to work better than whole novels in a 'walk about' form.

My thoughts exactly. Although I adore having novels on my ipod, what i've enjoyed most is Neil Gaiman's Fragile Things short story collection. It's wonderful for walking.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Short stories... excellent idea.

Podio reminds me of potty, which of course makes me think of nasty bathroom functions, but hey... that's just me. I love the idea of getting audiobooks for free. I got Wizard of Oz and Wind in the Willows this week to listen with Finn. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.