• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Cengage Gale (formerly Thomson Gale) / Schlager Group

Leonidas

sui generis
Registered
Reaction score
Christine N. makes a good point here, namely that Cengage has many departments and imprints. The Contemporary Authors department is separate from the others, which include a number of imprints that represent once independent publishers that Cengage bought out over the years. Some of these imprints (like Lucent Books, originally in San Diego), each of which has its own staff of editors, are better and more reliable than others. Uncle Jim is right to say that some of the books put out by these imprints have factual errors in them. But often the quality of these books depends on both the particular editors in question and the particular authors they sign on to work with them. Occasionally they hire reliable historians like myself, in which case those books can be counted on to be factually reliable. Still, there is plenty of variation in Cengage's overall output. A few times they hired me to rewrite and correct other authors' manuscripts and in each case I was horrified at the errors and sloppy writing. It's books like those that are likely some of the ones that Uncle Jim has seen over the years.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Yes, all you have to do is turn to the front page of any edition of any series to see who's contributed to it.

Doctors usually make up the contributors to the medial series (duh), so those are less likely to have factual errors, while literature people make up the editorial staff of the Contemporary Authors series.

You won't usually find the same group even responsible for every issue of every series. I do like the YA Authors series.

Matthew Warner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewwarner.com
Contemporary Authors (CA)

My publisher just forwarded to me an email nearly identical in content to the first one on this thread. It asks me to vet their proposed entry in the Contemporary Authors (CA) series and asks if I'd like to answer some interview questions in a sidebar.

The attached entry is a well written, well sourced, 4-page profile about me and my books, and it includes lots of quotes from reviews and interviews. I wonder if one these AI content writers is responsible, because I can't believe I'm famous enough for someone to write something like this--one of 112,000 such profiles.

The email says there's no charge for inclusion, but if I want to buy a copy of my own profile I can get the book for a 40% discount.

I'm not sure what to think of this. Is it a come on? I'd be happy to paste in the entire email and attachment.