Myspace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuy

Registered
Reaction score
I am curious if any published writers here has a Myspace page and if so, do you believe it has helped to market your book?

Also, are they any groups on Myspace for authors?

-Paul

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
There are lots and lots of published authors who have myspace profiles.

Like me I pointed you to mine because you can take a peek at My Friends and see lots of book covers. Some are published with big houses, some small, some self-published. But yes, there are plenty.

And there are plenty of groups. Writers, SF/F/H fans, poets, etc...

Has it helped market my book? I haven't been there long enough to answer that yet, only about a month. I think when my next book comes out I will get a better idea.

If nothing else, it's free and requires little maintenance.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
I'm there as well

www.myspace.com/williemeikle

There are many authors groups ( none as good as AW though :) , and it's great for meeting people from other backgrounds to your own ... I've got filmmakers, TV studios, radio shows, newspapers etc in my friends list now.... that means when I post a bulletin, they see it, so it's all good advertising.

I'm also group moderator of a group for all things relating to Scottish writing in books, film, comics, journalism.... hell, we'll even discuss Standard Grade English if you want.
http://groups.myspace.com/scottishwriters

Willie

ThatGuy

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses! And if anyone else has a Myspace page please send a friend request.

My Myspace Page

By the way, I just posted a pic of our newest daughter, Ruthie, who was born yesterday (Jan. 24)! Three girls!

-Paul

Mod35tBabe

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I have one as well - I like the fact once I get published I can put it in my bulletin and let people know about my writing that I mightn't reach other wise. Plus I've found old schools friends I keep in contact with now that I had lost touch with for quite a while. I have a published author who's a friend on my profile and we've messaged each other several times and he's posted links to agents blogs as well as his own writing tips on the bulletin - something I would never have known about except for myspace
Here's mine:
myspace.com/mod35t_babe

jchines

Got the hang of it, here
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jimchines.com
I've had several people tell me they discovered me and bought my book through my MySpace page.

It's frustrating for me to work with MySpace, because I'm on dial-up, but I'd still say it's worth a little effort. I suspect it could easily become a time-sink, though...

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
I must say that since I started using myspace more often in the last few weeks, I now am chatting with my favorite author and will be attending her workshop in May. :D

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I must say that since I started using myspace more often in the last few weeks, I now am chatting with my favorite author and will be attending her workshop in May. :D
Stacey, I have to get over there--to MySpace soon!

Agents have MySpace profiles, too.

I signed up awhile ago but never made a page. One of my son's has one.

And congrats on your new baby girl, Paul!

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
Stacey, I have to get over there--to MySpace soon!

Agents have MySpace profiles, too.

I signed up awhile ago but never made a page. One of my son's has one.

And congrats on your new baby girl, Paul!

Be sure to friend me when you do! I'm just sorry I'm under that goofy name now, lol.

just_a_girl

Registered
Reaction score
Is it legal to promote or advertise your book on Myspace?

Yes, of course. Why wouldn't it be? There are many successful authors published through big houses who have myspace pages and promote their books from there.

patricer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.websavvywriter.com
MySpace can be a great book marketing tool, but it works best for fiction authors or authors trying to reach a broad, general audience. If you target a business or professional audience, try http://www.linkedin.com or http://www.xing.com. I’ve had good success with both of these. There are also dozens of other social networking sites out there that could be a great match for your audience. Here's a good list to get you started:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_social_networking_websites.

----------------------------
Patrice-Anne Rutledge
Bestselling author (24 books) – Freelance Journalist – Online Book Promotion Expert
Author, The Web-Savvy Writer: Book Promotion with a High-Tech Twist
http://www.websavvywriter.com (get my free special report on author websites)

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Eh, I'm very glad to discover I'm not sinking alone in the modern day tar pits of MySpace, ye' ken? A friend--way back when--insisted this was a must for an author. But it sat on the shelf, collecting dust until just a few weeks ago. All those codes!!! Lamo me didn't realize there were sites tha' ye' could simply choose an entire layout vs code by code, step by step, snifter by snifter (sorry--scotch in one hand, keyboarding in the other..makes fer' a rather long day of designin').

So, a toast to you all of MySpace--and I'm going to give this a try since all of ye' have insisted 'tis is a great place ta' network...
www.myspace.com/kareybrown

Be my friend? (giggling with tongue in cheek)

Ta
karey
ps..thank God for this forum...it's helped tremendously! I'd much prefer to have my written work appear like shoes from wee elves....but, alas, one must 'pimp' their book....this place has GREAT ideas!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It pays to join communities you can become a part of. Some writers do well on myspace but I find it too slow loading and unweildy--I don't use it much so my own page doesn't get many visits in retrun (about one a week).

I tend to use LJ and blogger. You can't do it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.