Is this what happened to the band Creed?

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Considering the lead singer of Creed was videotaped in a three-way with Kid Rock, I'd say they're somewhere near the end of that tract, but not to the repentance part yet.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
A popular misconception. You may be thinking of Neve.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neve_(band)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creed_(band)

Neve were a pop-rock band based out of Los Angeles, California. They formed in 1997, and within a year were signed to Columbia Records. Their first album was slated for release in 1998 under the title Identify Yourself, and included the hit single "It's Over Now", which was also included on the soundtrack to the movie The Faculty.

Creed originally came together in Tallahassee, Florida in 1995. Their debut album My Own Prison was independently released, and distributed to Florida radio stations. Their second album, Human Clay, was released in 1999 and debuted on the Billboard 200 album chart at number one, based on the strength of its first single, "Higher", which spent several weeks on the top of the rock radio charts.

You can see the similarities.

CBeasy

I'm back baby!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Hey, now Creed was awesome before they got big and fame expanded Scott Stapp's head to abnormal degrees. I've always liked their first album and when I saw them in concert at a small local club before the were huge and they freaking rocked. It's a great example on how fame and a dick lead singer can ruin good bands. There's a reason two guitar players left the band before they finally just threw Stapp out. About 3 or 4 years ago I used to hang out at an Orlando area head shop called the Abyss, and Scott Stapp came in and acted like a total bastard to all the clerks, making them take out most of the pieces in the shop, then declaring he didn't like it. When he finally found a bong he did like, he got in a fight with the proprietor of the tattoo shop next store because the guy saw him walk by and told his son, "Hey! That looked like Scott Stapp!". He actually came in the shop and announced to the old biker and his 20 year old son that he was indeed Stapp and that they should respect him better and learn to mind their own business.

louisgodwin

Back from the dead
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
What really happened to Creed: After the break-up, some of the guys from Creed got a new lead singer and formed the band Alterbridge which had one small semi-hit song called Open Your Eyes. Stapp did a solo album which tanked.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I saw AlterBridge in concert last year and they were quite good actually. They haven't had any real hits but I was pretty impressed with them overall.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
I used to work with Scott Stapp at TGIFriday's in Chattanooga, TN way back in 1994. This was when he was attending Lee University (a christian college), before he got kicked out for smoking pot in his dorm room and had to live in the basement of one of our other cooks...all before moving to Florida.

He was a cook and, from what I remember, a total douchebag. The chicks he dated there thought he was a douche, too.

So, he didn't really change with fame.

Once a douchebag, always a douchebag.

However, and I hate to admit this, I actually liked a lot of Creed's stuff....and still do. I always liked a lot of Mark Tremonti's (lead guitarist) riffs. They harken back to metal from the 80s. I can hear some Metallica in his playing and even a dash of Pantera's Dimebag Darrell.

I always liked the opening to "What If" and the riffs in "Are You Ready?" Even "Bullets" was good. Some solid chops in that one.

Never really liked Stapp's voice, though. Always sounded like he was trying to emulate Layne Staley.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
DrSpork said:
I always liked a lot of Mark Tremonti's (lead guitarist) riffs.

Maybe that was the real reason I like AlterBridge. Not only is Mark talented...but YUM! :) I definitely regretted taking my husband to that concert. I'd have done anything to get backstage with Mark.

Shame on me...

southernwriter

Born Under a Bad Star
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lesiavalentine.com
Does anyone know Strapp's wife's name? I heard years ago that someone I knew well married the lead singer of Southern Creed. But whether Southern Creed morphed into just Creed, I don't know. If the bands are the same, and his wife really is the girl I knew, from the way it sounds, they deserve each other. I'm dying to know!

Dixie

Registered
Reaction score
I was just thinking of what happened to Creed the other day - now I know - glad I didnt waste too much time obsessing over them 'back in the day'.

Thats sad how all the good bands seem to fade out quickly, then we are left with the crap that is left over.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Stapp is already on his second or third wife now.

The one he wrote the song about (and whom he had the kid, which is the subject of "With Arms Wide Open") divorced him about a year or two ago, if I recall correctly.

southernwriter

Born Under a Bad Star
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lesiavalentine.com
DrSpork said:
Stapp is already on his second or third wife now.

The one he wrote the song about (and whom he had the kid, which is the subject of "With Arms Wide Open") divorced him about a year or two ago, if I recall correctly.

Thanks.

Got a name? Or a description? Anything?

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Oh Gods, Creed. I've been getting happier and happier every day as bands like Creed, and Limp Biskit, and, and, *has to think about it* Staind, and [Your Boy Band Here] just kind of faded away.

Sadly, I'm also happy that Metallica's more or less faded away too. Which is a shame.

When Creed first showed up, I remember them saying quietly in a few places that they considered themselves to be a Christian rock band. I suspect they said it loudly and the journalists went "Er..." and then said it quietly on their behalf.

As for Scott Stapp in a three-way video with Kid Rock....whoa. I mean, these are not the most attractive men here.....Urk.