How To Incorporate Facts...

Cate

Never Bored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherineltully.com
Hey there.
I was thinking of doing some writing for H/F mags--my degree is in exercise science. My question is...

Let's say I am doing a piece on heart health for example. I research and find the American Heart Association's tips for heart health and would like to use them...

What is the best way to do this? Is it enough to just state that they are where I got the tips from? Should I use quotes? Can I actually use their tips, so long as it doesn't constitute the entire piece?

I have done quite a bit of writing, but I use primarily interviews and quotes so this is a bit new to me...

Any help would be appreciated.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
Hi Cate. I think this is one of those "it depends" answers. I can see what you're describing fitting nicely into a sidebar accompanying your piece. I think you'd be safe reproducing their tips with full attribution, including their address and website URL.

When in doubt though - ask. It can't hurt to drop them a line, describe what you have in mind and ask them if it's okay by them. My guess is they'd be happy to have help spreading the word.

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
When in doubt, always err to the side of over citing your sources. You can go to MLA or get a research writers handbook that has every rule for every type of citation that you will ever dream of.

Good luck!