Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
browser
vase
drill

The mastermind behind the great browser scandal turned out to be Dr. Fanciul Feriminiki, a dentist in Paducah, KY. One day while drilling, he let his eyes wander to a faux Chinese vase and realized that if he invented a disease and then invented a cure he could get rich.

lava
reprimand
stable

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
lava
reprimand
stable

Belinda followed the path, determined to reach the top. When she returned to the hotel, she would reprimand for not having accompanied her on such an adventure. The guide had said Bombasta was a stable volcano, so the lava now spewing from its crater could not be reason for alarm.

fragmented
discern
cabbage

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
fragmented
discern
cabbage

Life was hard for Mrs. Wiggs, as everyone in the Cabbage Patch knew. But she raised her five children and kept her family from becoming fragmented, as happened to many other families in town. In this 1901 novel, the reader will easily discern a good heart within this simple woman.

greed
inevitable
ferment

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
greed
inevitable
ferment

Philip was disgusted. He believed in justice and ethics, and had hoped to make a difference. But in these times of political ferment, with everyone preferring greed, corruption and feathering their nests, rather than working for the people, such noble qualities were laughably out of place. His disillusion was inevitable.

sophisticated
budgerigar
threaten

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
sophisticated
budgerigar
threaten

Only the most sophisticated people lived in the East Side coop, so when Simms moved in, his neighbors gasped. The fact that he owned three Great Danes was strange, but his budgerigar was even stranger. It swore like a sailor as it flew through the halls, threatening the entire building.

pyramid
specify
blithe

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
pyramid
specify
blithe

Keen to visit the Pyramids, Brian had arranged to meet a friend there at sunset. So here he was, out in the desert, as the light faded dramatically behind the fabled triangular silhouettes. But the friend - a blithe spirit - had failed to specify on which corner they were to meet.

vernacular
withhold
pristine

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Melanie was determined to maintain the pristine quality of her pansy garden. If the boys trampled through it again, she would exact a punishment and might even withhold the pennies she gave them for mowing her lawn. She feared that they had become, in the vernacular, a bunch of scumbags.

granular
translate
trail

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
granular
translate
trail

Doris swallowed two aspirin, shuddering at the granular deposits. Her headache was due to the text in front of her, which she had to translate from Serbo-Croatian. The passage was dense, and the syntax confused, and she was finding it difficult to follow the convoluted trail of the main clause.

percolate
ambivalent
poodle

Busy_Sample

Registered
Reaction score
Crash! The chandelier landed sending glass scattering across the hardwood floor.
Triumphant, Emma raised the Louisville slugger in her hand. “I knew I could break it in one shot.”
My face red with anger, I clenched my teeth and snarled, “This is my mother’s house!”

Edit: LOL I totally didn't get everyone was saying three words. Okay so here goes again:
I stared at the puffy white poodle while I put some coffee on to percolate. Doggo lifted his nose and glanced over at the treats on the counter. How could he be so ambivalent after pooping on my rug? Why did I keep him around?

New words:
Burden
Dove
Chocolate

Last edited:

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Burden
Dove
Chocolate

Dove magic always delighted Magistro’s audiences. The Dove Box involved a bird locked in a box that Magistro would penetrate with knives. An emotional burden for the audience! Last night, unfortunately, things got rather bloody, and distributing chocolate bars to people fleeing the theater didn’t make them feel any better.

alabaster
deceptive
finagle

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
alabaster
deceptive
finagle

Sid smiled in anticipation. Antiques were deceptive, but the statuette looked authentic enough, the alabaster looking like marble. An expert might not be easily fooled, but Josh down at the pawn shop was a walkover. Sid knew he'd be able to finagle a good price for the pretty little fake.

sunbeam
portend
superior

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
sunbeam
portend
superior

Early in her film career, Gwendolyn was known as “The Sunbeam Girl,” and now she insisted she deserved top billing in superior films. Unfortunately, producers didn’t agree, and Gwendolyn found herself being offered vapid, inconsequential roles. Her latest film, “Revenge of the Purple Blob Monster,” did not portend anything better.

prime
debacle
hellbent

Last edited:

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
prime
debacle
hellbent

Though no longer in her prime, Gwendolyn was hellbent on fame and riches.
After the Purple Blob Monster debacle, she decided to change her tune and enlist the help of the big boys. She would start by calling Johnny Fanzio, an old flame, who owed her a favour. Or two.

fortify
oblivious
wardrobe

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
fortify
oblivious
wardrobe

Johnny Fanzio was a member of the Provalone crime family. But that didn’t matter. Gwendolyn made herself oblivious of such concerns. Johnny’s lethal expertise was essential if she was to fortify her position in Tinseltown. She began by buying a daring new wardrobe that would lure him into helping her.

denigrate
fringe
substitute

Last edited:

Kerry56

Registered
Reaction score
"How dare you denigrate my family." Lady Dalyn was furious, and threw the nearest flower pot at her antagonist. "You Bermonts are scum, the lowest fringe of society and not worthy of the your position at court. I could substitute a manure collector for you and come out ahead."

egregious
willful
flirtatious

Last edited:

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
egregious
willful
flirtatious

Annabel planned carefully. The willful James Grackle would be seated far from Lord Heffington. So would the obese Rachiela Nostrum, who still acted like a flirtatious girl. Wisely, Annabel had not invited the egregious Thomas Thimbleberry, whose inevitable farting might spoil everything. She opened the door, and Thimbleberry sauntered in.

arrogant
swallow
gimcrack

Last edited:

weird_cat

Registered
Reaction score
arrogant
swallow
gimcrack

The potter chuckled as the lordling left his shop. When his apprentice asked why, he replied, "M’lord’s too arrogant to realize I just sold him gimcrack finery. When the paint peels off at his next tea party, he'll have to swallow either a mouthful of lead or his pride!"

Tatterdemalion
Undercooked
Yellow

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tatterdemalion
Undercooked
Yellow

When the tatterdemalion turned up in a torn yellow shirt, Ruthie became emotional. “You look starved!” she said. “I’ve got a chicken in the oven. Sit here. You wouldn’t like it undercooked!” She returned to the kitchen, and the ragamuffin (actually Randolfino DeForgovich, master criminal) ransacked her house and left.

graceful
gasp
efflorescent

weird_cat

Registered
Reaction score
graceful
gasp
efflorescent

The botanist led his students down the path. "You see, when the cherry trees are efflorescent-" One of his students gasped, "Mr. Teetree, watch out!" The unfortunate Mr. Teetree looked up just in time to see a large bird's egg make a graceful tumble from the nest to his face.

discomfiting
ailurophile
cottage

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
discomfiting
ailurophile
cottage

Griselda lived in a cottage in the woods. An ailurophile, she had 17 cats. One day, two children happened along, and she said, "You will love my cakes, for they are delicious and never discomfiting. What are your names?” They smiled at the thought of the sweets. “Hansel and Gretel."

disdain
stub
tawdry

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
disdain
stub
tawdry

Jane knocked, and was answered by a curt "Enter!" The office was even more tawdry than she had expected. "Who are you?" demanded a secretary in a scarlet suit, stubbing out her cigarrette in an overflowing ashtray.
Jane regarded her for a moment with disdain before replying. "The new manager."

pernicious
justify
cauliflower

SundryHen

Registered
Reaction score
pernicious
justify
cauliflower

Isabella glared at the enormous cauliflower. It was as big as a house and had a pernicious effect on birds. They’d lazily fly close to it, side-eyeing the best approach, then plunge beak down. Naturally, they’d get stuck. Isabella had a hard time justifying another cage purchase at the shop.

llama
auspicious
scurrying

Last edited:

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
llama
auspicious
scurrying

How auspicious that Clarissa should find a penny on the street as she headed for her new job! It meant good luck! In the office, people were scurrying around, but she needn’t rush, since she was one of the very few people who completely understood the sex life of llamas.

tidy
granite
overlook

Soleggi

Registered
Reaction score
tidy
granite
overlook

She leaned across the banister, her gown tailing behind her. From the overlook, she could see the entirety of the ballroom. The once meticulously tidy area was practically torn apart. Tables were overturned; shattered glass lay across the floor. Yet the rhythm of shoes clacking across the granite remained.

Plastic
Wheat
Ominous

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Plastic
Wheat
Ominous

Martha put down Supernatural Horrors. The book had frightened her, but there really was nothing ominous about the rustling of her bedroom curtains. Reaching for a package of wheat crackers, she heard a crackling of plastic. She laughed at her own nervousness, unaware that the monster was approaching her bed.

bizarre
shanty
reconstitute