Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
suggestion
ambivalence
gibberish

The suggestion that he dress as a space alien for his address at the International Cosmological Association left Peter with a distinct feeling of ambivalence. The Association was a serious organization, after all. Furthermore, the request that he describe black holes while speaking in gibberish was a bit bizarre.

flame
indelible
porcupine

PointlessAlibi

Registered
Reaction score
He looked down at his porcupine as a flame grew throughout the house of the young man as he stood there in the street. The event etched an indelible memory for him.

(Someone let me know if I have the last word written in the right context? Definitely words I'm not used to but thank you! I had to look up the meaning of indelible lol)

Head,
Brown,
Productive

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Abelonia tucked her head down so the brown curls of her hair grazed the papers she was grading. Leaning into her work made her more productive.

Vascular
Pernicious
Banana

potatoPizza

Registered
Reaction score
Banana, Pernicious, Vascular

Without realizing, he had eaten the banana with the rest of the food. His vascular system did realized, though. His guest did as well, limiting herself to smile and keep the conversation flowing as she waited for the pernicious fruit to make its terrible effect.

New words: Potato, flower, star

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
potato
flower
star

It was Bunny’s birthday, so Joe would give her something special. After baking a potato to represent a cake, he inserted a pink rose to represent a candle.

He played her favorite song, Bob Dylan’s “Shooting Star,” as she entered the room.

“Happy Birthday!” he shouted. “Blow out the flower!”

decide
insubstantial
silk

Last edited:

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
decide
insubstantial
silk

The woman's body lay on the bed, arms tranquilly by its side, only the eyes wide open in death. But evidence of foul play was insubstantial, and Wally could not decide whether Lady Hermione had taken an overdose, or been strangled with the red silk scarf draped around her neck.

confound
marshmallow
elliptical

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
confound
marshmallow
elliptical

"Confound it all!" Lord Piffleton exclaimed, using an old-fashioned expression (for he was a gentleman of advanced years). "I asked for lemon in my tea, not a marshmallow! There was absolutely nothing unclear about my words, let alone elliptical! I don't know what is happening to the world these days!"

symbiotic
nudge
horseshoe

Last edited:

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
symbiotic
nudge
horseshoe

Ruffling his hair in frustration, Sir Piffle turned to his minion, with whom he had a symbiotic relationship, and said, 'Dominic, we must nudge the herd . . . I mean public . . . into forgetting the facts and worshipping us. Maybe handing out badges in the shape of lucky horseshoes will do the trick.'

clandestine
facilitate
mountain

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
clandestine
facilitate
mountain

Creating a mountain colony for writers, Georgina made sure that only the most talented would be admitted. To facilitate the process, an applicant must demonstrate a thorough knowledge of Chaucer, Shakespeare and Rowling. This admission protocol was clandestine, since otherwise, rejected writers might try to have their application fees refunded.

banal
forge
carapace

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Randi continued to hammer out his frustrations in his sweltering forge. With each clang of metal, he added to the carapace of sweat that shrouded his banal existence.

lampshade
liquor
mosaic

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
lampshade
liquor
mosaic

Piccasio sat back and sipped his Amaretto. It was an exceedingly fine liquor. At last his huge canvas was finished—sixteen nude women in a room with a single light beam issuing from a purple bulb beneath a multicolor, Tiffany-style lampshade. The picture had the quality of a weird mosaic.

drivel
extend
formerly

Last edited:

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
drivel
extend
formerly

Dressed to kill in purple tuxedo and spats, Theodore Bombast - formerly known as Wally the Kid - bowed to his hostess who extended her elegant hand in greeting. "What a pleasure to meet you," she purred, "I've always admired a man who can make a living out of writing utter drivel."

perpendicular
abstemious
multiply

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
perpendicular
abstemious
multiply

After the failure of her writers’ colony, Georgina decided to multiply her chances by applying a kind of perpendicular logic and going for something completely different. Her new project was a club for singing doctors, who were to be tested hourly to make sure they remained abstemious during brain surgery.

dilettante
surge
apocryphal

Last edited:

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
dilettante
surge
apocryphal

After his acceptance into Georgina's exclusive club, Wally enjoyed a surge in popularity, as in addition to singing opera whilst performing appendectomies, it was believed he had a dilettante's interest in East Asian folk songs and Fifteenth-century lullabies, but this turned out to be nothing but an apocryphal story.

neurasthenia
starboard
emulsify

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
neurasthenia
starboard
emulsify

Doing research on neurasthenia among ship passengers, Georgina took a cruise to the Pacific. One morning, a huge sea monster appeared on the starboard side. She ran to the galley for vinegar, thinking it might emulsify the creature. But when she returned, the monster was gone! How strange, she thought!

bewildered
pinnacle
divulge

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
bewildered
pinnacle
divulge

Bewildered by the disappearance of the sea creature, Georgina turned for guidance to Wally, who happened to be on board. Always a source of erudite information and trivial facts, and fast aproaching the pinnacle of his varied career, she hoped he would divulge some of his maritime secrets to her.

platitude
squeamish
verify

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
platitude
squeamish
verify

Hoping he wasn’t squeamish, Georgina asked Wally to verify her sighting of the disappearing sea monster. To her dismay, however, he merely spouted a series of platitudes and rambled on about The Ancient Mariner, The Book of Jonah, and The Little Mermaid. Perhaps Wally wasn’t as smart as he pretended.

sanguine
meander
risk

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
sanguine
meander
risk

Joe had always been the sanguine type, but as the river meandered more the further, he got along the dirt trail, he wonder if he had risked it by ignoring the wise villagers. Everyone in Joe’s tiny village had said the treasure was at the end of the straight river.

Sweet
Steal
Cattle

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
sweet
steal
cattle

Looking down into the sheltered valley from his hiding place, Sam smiled in sweet anticipation. The cattle were fat and placid, and no one was in sight. This was a gift from the gods! A few of those docile beasts, if not the whole herd, would be easy to steal.

inauspicious
float
perspire

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
inauspicious
float
perspire

The candidate wanted nothing inauspicious about this day. It was vital that he appear strong, confident and capable of WINNING. But as he hopped aboard the float that would carry him through the parade, he began to perspire like a goat. Before long, he was drenched! People began to laugh!

murmur
asphalt
reluctant

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
He was reluctant, but realized he was dying on the asphalt. With his least breath, he murmured the password to his compatriots.

excitement
bond
grudge

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
excitement
bond
grudge

Despite the undeniable bond ​between them, Dorothy still held a bitter grudge against her elder sister Rose who over the years, by subterfuge and duplicity, had successfully pilfered more than one of Dorothy's boyfriends. Now she smiled, her excitement rising, as she planned the details of her long awaited revenge.

windfall
grotesque
surmise

Last edited:

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
windfall
grotesque
surmise

It was a fantastic windfall when Jasper’s great-aunt Charlotte died and left him her billions, despite the rumors—spread by jealous relatives—that he had somehow hastened her demise. They had no proof, of course, and Jasper made sure that they would never have anything more than a grotesque surmise.

brisk
automaton
integrate

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
His already brisk pace quickened. He had to get there before the automation kicked in. The administration wanted to integrate newborns upon birth. He had to stop them and soon!

border
diamond
oatmeal