Writing Challenge: 50 Words -- With a Twist

• Thread starter That Sheldrake Woman
  • Start date

That Sheldrake Woman

Here's a fun challenge for anyone who wants to dip their quill... Tell me a story or describe a scene in fifty words.

Sounds easy?

Now for the twist -- You must use three "challenge" words within the context of your submission. Where do they come from, you ask? Well, the first three will be given by me; subsequent ones will be given by the author of the last post for the creator of the next to use.

And so we begin:

First three words: chandelier, triumphant, red.

Have fun!! :D

Michelle Hoppe

Sales & Marketing Manager
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.LSbooks.com
Jason’s face turned a sickly shade of red, his eyes focused in horror on the broken chandelier. He could hear her footsteps coming closer and knew without doubt she would triumphant at having caught him in the act. Fear welled in his chest, knowing his expulsion from school was imminent.

new words: chance, age, left

ColinLadd

The archaeologist's rationalism pervaded his mind as he stood in the laboratory. It was chance. The woman's ancient skeleton survived, a jigsaw of bones left to puzzle us, tease us: know me, it said. Now he would reincarnate her age in his image and yet - what colour were her eyes?

Ghost, diamond, night.

Last edited:

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
New snow glowed in the moonlight, each crystal glittering like a diamond. The buck took a step backward, its hooves squeaking in the fresh deposit. It dipped its antlers and exhaled, releasing a vapour that drifted around its body, obscuring it while it retreated into the night, like a ghost.

Baby, unique, curtain.

kirstin_mccormack

Registered
Reaction score
The rain fell, a grey curtain in the dusk. He stepped from the shelter of the porch roof and into the night. It was a unique feeling, he thought, to stand newborn baby naked in this unexpected shower. He tasted the drops, and it tasted warm like summer sunshine.

New words: vandal, perserve, passion

JIMBOS

Registered
Reaction score
I held the vandal at gun point, waiting for the Police to arrive. I knew his will to escape was surpassed only by his passion to destroy. He spat words at me like morqulid, perserve and quidly.

New words: fling, behold, injection

Last edited:

GeneBrighton

Registered
Reaction score
The highland sheep were, indeed, a sight to behold. Flourescent dyes marked the backs of almost every female. It was explained to me that with every injection by a mating ewe a dyepack, which was strapped around its neck, would would fling up and down. It left quite an impression.

lively, pickles, mistaken

Last edited:

pomegranatetears

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.persophene.proboards70.com
He was intent upon buying pickles for his lively lover – she had demanded of him to procure such tasty delights. After purchasing the treats he made his way home. The noises he heard upon entering indicated an activity going on that could not be mistaken. He had been cuckold.

New Words: Politic, enhance, pillow

ColinLadd

She emerged from the afterglow, reconstructing phrases the intern had used.

"You're realistic," he continued, "about this tryst?"

Her eyes caught his smirk.

"Pillow talk. A chance to enhance your position..." she said, coldly, "most politic."

She straddled, him, crushing his balls in her fist.

"That's Madam President to you!"

Blue, echoes, street.

That Sheldrake Woman

blue, echoes, street

He watched Sandra walk down the street, her blue dress caressing her swaying hips the way his hands used to. "C’est la vie," he murmured, lighting up a cigarette. Echoes of their life together before she finally walked out reverberated through his mind. "No," his corrected himself. "C’est la guerre."

New words: argue, dumpster, delicious

Last edited:

msQTpi

Registered
Reaction score
Website
TrailerParkGazette.bravehost.com
argue, dumpster, delicious

Five garbage bags. He wouldn't take them to the dumpster? She hated to argue, so kept quiet. Her delicious Italian meal was ruined. Who could eat while that odor hung in the air?

He bound through the trailer door and asked, "Collards and egg-salad?"

She started to cry.

New Words: Forward, Paisley, Vase

mooncars

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Never bet on a paisley horse named Immortality. How often Clystia heard her Mother say that! How often Clystia shunned such sage advice! She felt nauseous stepping forward to pawn her Ming Dynasty vase for mere pittance. The door opened, then shut. Later, Clystia would return to bludgeon the pawnbroker.

New challenge words: range, edelweiss, derelict

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
When I found my grandfather, he was living as a derelict under a bridge. Until then I'd known him as a man in a sepia-tinted photograph, wearing his bomber jacket and standing on the flight range. He wore a sprig of edelweiss stolen from a dead German outside LeHavre.

New words: nugget, firefly, angst

wm_bookworm

Registered
Reaction score
My heart was filled with angst as I continued to pan the river, getting the same results as I had for weeks: no gold. I turned to leave, but something caught my eye. The glow of a firefly was glimmering on something in the water: my first nugget of gold!

New words: eclipse, turmoil, frigid

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
Susan was an absolute wreck, but you wouldn't know it just by looking at her. Her frigid exterior efficiently hid a soul in turmoil. A simple cold shoulder disguised her anger from a coworker's careless comments. A glatial stare kept the friendlier folks from getting to know her better. But nothing could eclipse the fiery passion that Ernest triggered in her.

New words: pirate, pickle, petunia

msQTpi

Registered
Reaction score
Website
TrailerParkGazette.bravehost.com
pirate, pickle, petunia

Petunia was in a pickle. Adrift and down to her last slimjim, she contemplated the lonely painful death awaiting her.

"Thirsty. So weak.... Damn pirates and their superstitions...women on ships.... He was no Depp, but...."

"Petunia! Wake up!"

"Hmmm..."

"Good Lord, Girl. Did you eat ALL those slimjims?"

New words: rollers, deer, slippers

limitedtimeauthor

Super duper user
Registered
Reaction score
Myrna stepped out onto the frostbit porch, still in just her robe and slippers. As she eyed the sheriff, her hand flitted to the rollers in her hair. He wasn't the handsomest sheriff they had, but he warnt the worst, neither.

"Myrna, where’s Hart?"

"Why? He been poachin' deer?"

superfluous, frightening, tape

GeneBrighton

Registered
Reaction score
A small bit of bright, shiny paper was caught in the clear tape stuck to the underside of the dining room table. There was nothing superfluous about it. It confirmed what the old woman had been too frightened to admit. The explosive package that killed her lover was prepared here.

nugget, swollen, invective

(oops)

Last edited:

rosebud1981

росебуд1
Registered
Reaction score
Reviving an old thread here, but this looks like fun :hi:

Jane slowed at the traffic light and eased her foot off the clutch. In the mirror she admired her swollen eye. To draw even the smallest nugget of shame from him called for true invective. She glanced at the dried blood on her fingernails and put the car into gear.

culture, square, noble

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
John took some of the culture from the pietre dish and smeared it onto a slide. The bacteria were unmistakeable, almost square in shape. He murmered, "A noble thing that I do in the name of science", then slid his tongue over the slide. He groaned as the metamorphosis began.

space, inferno, hatred

Backward Masking

Why so serious?
Registered
Reaction score
"You're wanting me to ride Inferno?" asked Roland, nervousness apparent in his voice. His fears were well warranted, for the horse known as Inferno was rumored to have been bred of pure hatred. Years of being confined in a small space had surely contributed to Inferno's nasty reputation as well.

mosaic, facade, madness

wyoming_dreams

Registered
Reaction score
She was two hours late, everyone else was already there. As she greeted him she knew his light banter, teasing her for her tardiness was merely a façade. Later tonight his madness would have free reign.His personality a mosaic of spite and hate; and she, once again, its target.

worth tasty interest

Last edited:

Harimum

Registered
Reaction score
It just wouldn’t be worth it, she thought. Sure, the pizza looked tasty but if she was going to fit into that little black dress and capture the interest of the handsome bar tender this weekend she would have to be strong and stick to her diet! Sarah sighed wistfully!

Iceberg cigar chair

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Cedric settled in the teak deck chair and inhaled deeply on his cigar. Stars glittered above him, competing with the festive lights along the railing. When Catherine passed, her fox wrap provocatively draped along her back, he almost didn't feel the shudder of the ship when it hit the iceburg.

Dog Slipper Football

leenakincaid

Registered
Reaction score
I hook the leash to my dog’s collar and we go for a walk. The day is a normal, cloudy gray day. We walk to the park, where teenagers are playing football and their boyfriends are arguing about different brands of slippers. The football glides past my head, scaring Rex.

ticket communication Peru