" ____ haunts my writing!"

Nyna

Registered
Reaction score
T.S. Eliot and Edna St. Vincent Millay have been haunting me for years, but there are plenty of others who come and go in the meantime -- or, rather, there are several individual poems that I can always find traces of in my work, though the poets aren't really present. "Sweetness" by Stephen Dunn is one of those, as is "A Leave-Taking" by Algernon Charles Swinburne.

...I don't know how openly or clearly these people and poems influenced my writing, I mean, I can't go through and say, oh, I got that phrase from here, that theme from there, this aesthetic from wherever. It's more that these poets and poems have had an impact on the way that I think, for better or worse, and it's been reflected in most other aspects of my life, so I assume that that includes my writing.

Steppe

Registered
Reaction score
Johannes Bobrowski, " its rivers, its forests and quiet villages ", Peter Huchel, his gothic anti-warness, William Carlos Williams, for his sparse, shorter poems and Paul Auster, for his "dark, severe, even harsh" poetry and Louise Bogan ( I'd be happy to just imitate her).

Last edited: