Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
kdnxdr said:
Who is Oliver Sachs?

Addendum:

I just googled his name. Now, I see why you wished for his contribution. Why don't you contact him and invite him to visit our discussion? I think he would.
I'd love to, but I think it would be like asking Gore Vidal to drop by and join our little discussion on historical fiction. But I would be very interested in what he would say about the notion of poetic sense having an actual physical locus in the brain.

kdnxdr

One of the most important people in the world
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
After gleening through the googled information, I have to say that I personally believe that, foundationally, all language is pictographic in nature.

For example: While recently in France, I saw a medieval cart. My french husband told me that in French, the cart was called a tomble (I don't know the proper spelling). Thinking about the French word I could see how the English word tumble could be a derivative of that French word for cart. A child tumbles; a tumble-weed; something tumbles down.

I am by no means a linguist or one who studies language in any fashion. But, language fascinates me.

When reading a book, Genesis in the Chinese Language, I became aware that the symbols of Chinese are made up of radicals or elements of pictures that are combined and recombined to get new symbols. For example: the symbol for "boat" = three elements/radicals

the concept of vessel
the concept of eight
the concept of mouths/persons

In Genesis, Noah and his family constituted:

the concept of vessel
the concept of eight
the concept of mouths/persons

The book is very intriguing (to me) in that the author states that the chinese language is the oldest pictographic language still in use much as it has always been used. At the dispersion of Babylon (when the world was supposedly dominated by one language), the peoples that went to the area that became Chinese were geographically "locked in" and their original culture has "lasted" longer than others' original culture. The author of Genesis in the Chinese Language believes Chinese to be similar to snapshots of original event observers.

Another is example for the word light :

two radicals:

man
on fire

According to biblical account: pre-fall Adam was covered with an eminating light referenced as the Shekinah glory of God, a man on fire. In some biblical teaching, that loss of light was the nakedness of Adam and Eve.

I say all this to add to the question of, "do we think word first or picture first?".

Last edited: