Not open for further replies.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Italian, U.S. agents urge govts to stop CIA trial

By Phil Stewart
MILAN (Reuters) - U.S. and Italian spies urged their governments on Tuesday to prevent them going on trial over the 2003 kidnapping of a terrorism suspect, as an Italian judge began hearing arguments on whether to indict them.
Judge Caterina Interlandi must decide if there is enough evidence for a trial. If so, it would be the first criminal procedure over renditions, one of the most controversial aspects of U.S. President George W. Bush's global "war on terrorism".
The agents are accused of involvement in abducting Muslim cleric Hassan Mustafa Osama Nasr and sending him to Egypt, where he says he was tortured. The suspects include 26 Americans, most believed to be CIA agents, and six Italians. None of the suspects attended Tuesday's closed-door courtroom hearing, lawyers said. . . . http://sg.news.yahoo.com/070109/3/45v1n.html

Last edited:

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Good freakin' god. If spies can't break the law, the next james bond movie is REALLY gonna suck.

"The name's Bond. James Bond."
"Whatever, would you mind stepping out of your vehicle? License and registration, please."

greglondon

Planet Wookie techno geek
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Rodents Of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist.
Website
www.greglondon.com
Bird of Prey said:
huge implications for CIA operatives, as they could be arrested on foreign soil if their conduct is not considered legal.

Hasn't that always been the case? Isn't that why Trautman tells John that the US will claim no knowledge of his activities?

broughcut

I Can't Get Started
Registered
Reaction score
greglondon said:
Hasn't that always been the case? Isn't that why Trautman tells John that the US will claim no knowledge of his activities?

I suppose it must be for those working under non-official cover, I expect agents attached to the embassy would have all the immunity that the Vienna Convention affords technical and administrative staff (complete criminal immunity I think, same as diplomats), although it would probably be a diplomatic nightmare to assert that over anything bigger than a parking ticket.

TwentyFour

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The anti terror laws have made it so anything goes. I'm sure they do more than anyone here knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.