Embellishing Memoirs: Do or Don't?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anne Bernard Becker

Registered
Reaction score
I try to tell the truth all the time. Family members have questioned my version of the truth on occasion in my first memoir, even though I wrote it in a child's voice, looking back on an episode and acknowledging it was my version of things, but I am absolutely committed to only writing incidents that really happened in my own memory, and never making them up for the sake of the story. I recognize that memory plays tricks on us, and so I build this recognition into my story quite a lot, playing with my memories, letting my stream of consciousness run with the details, but never outright fabricating. My memoir is based on psychoanalysis, so I let myself have full rein with body-memories and dreams and other things, playing with them, but in my mind they are deeply true.

Reactions: Elenitsa

CMBright

Cats are easy, Mice are tough
Registered
Reaction score
I try to tell the truth all the time. Family members have questioned my version of the truth on occasion in my first memoir, even though I wrote it in a child's voice, looking back on an episode and acknowledging it was my version of things, but I am absolutely committed to only writing incidents that really happened in my own memory, and never making them up for the sake of the story. I recognize that memory plays tricks on us, and so I build this recognition into my story quite a lot, playing with my memories, letting my stream of consciousness run with the details, but never outright fabricating. My memoir is based on psychoanalysis, so I let myself have full rein with body-memories and dreams and other things, playing with them, but in my mind they are deeply true.

I tend to use the New Posts button to find what people are actively talking about. The last post here was around 4 years ago. Alternately, look at the date of the last post. In this case, 2019, it is now 2023. Most threads are considered dead after 6m-1y of inactivity. For SYW threads, it's considered closer to 1-3 months, unless the OP is keeping the thread alive.

Exceptions are pinned threads and threads in Beware, Recommendations and Background checks.

Again, not in trouble for reviving a "dead" thread, just a heads up to be a bit more aware.

As for embelishing? I would try not to do so, with the caveat that memory is notoriously prone to corruption, in the computer memory file sense of the word.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(This thread's last reply was in 2019. Please, people, let's not necro theads.)

Reactions: Brigid Barry
Status
Not open for further replies.