How to market to a NT audience?

nancy02664

Baby Name Maniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancy.cc
I'm putting together a book proposal for a NT project, and I'm trying to come up with ways to market the book.

So far, the only practical way I can think of to reach atheists/humanists is by writing for (or getting reviewed at, or getting interviewed at, or simply buying ad space from) NT magazines/newsletters/websites (...clunky run-on, I know).

I realize various groups have conventions and meet-ups, but I've never been to any myself and I'm not sure which (if any) would be good to attend for this purpose. (Also, I'm not sure my topic is really something I could develop a 'talk' about.)

Do you guys have any clever ideas about how to reach nontheists?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It would depend on the more specific demographic of the book. Could it be used as a text? Is is a 'skeptical' book? In which case you might approach skeptic's groups like CSI who do have meetings.

nancy02664

Baby Name Maniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancy.cc
It's a reference book, aimed at secular parents. I'm not sure I could use it as a "text" for anything really, though I know I can spin it (or parts of it) into articles.

Yeah, I've been stumped for a few weeks on this one. I think I've got a good list of ways to market to parents generally, but secular parents are a different story. There's a book coming out (or maybe it's already out?) called something like "Parenting Beyond Belief," and I would give anything to somehow get a glimpse at the promotion section of the proposal that sold it... :)

ParentBeyondBelief

Anything? Really?

I'd be happy to share that with you. One of my main purposes in writing/editing Parenting Beyond Belief was to break the ice for other secular parenting books. I knew I'd have to find a mainstream NY publisher to do that, and several said, in essence, "If there's no current competition, that means there's no market." Amacom Books finally said, "Either there's no market...or we're going to corner the market." And we had lift-off.

A big part of getting that contract was the platform of my contributors (including Richard Dawkins, Penn Jillette, Julia Sweeney and others). If I'd written it alone, there would have been no chance. BUT...if PBB succeeds, it should be easier for subsequent titles to make the case that the audience exists. The release is in April, but it's on Amazon now as a pre-order.

Drop me a note at [email protected] and I'll send you the marketing section of the proposal.

Kind regards,
Dale McGowan
Editor, Parenting Beyond Belief
www.ParentingBeyondBelief.com

nancy02664

Baby Name Maniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancy.cc
Anything! Really!

Oh wow, I was not expecting a response like this! Thanks so much, Dale.

I'm really happy that one of your objectives with Parenting Beyond Belief was to open up the market -- I have a feeling it will do just that. (I mean, with people like Richard Dawkins on board, how could it not? :))

I'll get in touch with you very soon...

-Nancy